Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a fake Spanish Trail on ebaY?

Spanish Trail on ebaY

I've only seen a few MS specimens in real life and just generally aware that fakes are out there. Finding a nicely worn Sp Trail in XF or below with original surfaces and problem-free will probably take a decade or more, if one exists at all. I have had to trim way down on numismatic purchases this year, but would take out a small loan for the right Spanish Trail if meeting the 'big 3' criteria above.

So many things 'wrong' with the referenced example, comparing it to other specimens on ebaY at present. But not a bad counterfeit with toning, and semblance of wear (but the rims are too sharp), but so much of the lettering is mush, and even the tilde ~ is missing on NUNEZ. The second S in STATES is an easy tip-off.

Your thoughts?

Don

edited title to be more inclusive image
Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    What do you folks think about the coin?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ~ that is a above the "N" is an additional letter than is in the Spanish alphabet. It appears to missing on this piece and the set "S" in "STATES" is suspect. I'd say that this is a China mint product, and as usual the pictures are poor, which is standard marketing procedure for the people who offer this stuff on eBay.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The ~ that is a above the "N" is an additional letter than is in the Spanish alphabet. It appears to missing on this piece and the set "S" in "STATES" is suspect. I'd say that this is a China mint product, and as usual the pictures are poor, which is standard marketing procedure for the people who offer this stuff on eBay. >>

no clue about the seller, but with a reserve that hasn't yet been met, I'd think that maybe the seller doesn't know he/she is offering a fake. Maybe.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>

<< <i>The ~ that is a above the "N" is an additional letter than is in the Spanish alphabet. It appears to missing on this piece and the set "S" in "STATES" is suspect. I'd say that this is a China mint product, and as usual the pictures are poor, which is standard marketing procedure for the people who offer this stuff on eBay. >>

no clue about the seller, but with a reserve that hasn't yet been met, I'd think that maybe the seller doesn't know he/she is offering a fake. Maybe. >>

That was my thought as well. I have contacted Ebay and the seller.
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Mark, thanks for bringing this thread TTT. I, too, contacted the seller last night and advised he may want to pull the auction and have a local dealer assess for him and addressed my concerns from the photo. He seemed receptive, but noncommittal. Thanks for reporting to ebaY; I did not do that.

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Auction views up to 198, was 36 last night and I told him/her there would likely be many collectors from around the US to take a look at the coin in question.

No more contact from the seller than my post above.

I will report it as well.

Any Spanish Trail experts out there?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I received the following reply from him after I contacted him:

"thanks for your input. I am having the coin looked at by a local dealer. I hope that your claims are not true, since the circumstances surrounding me getting he coin do not lead me to beleive it is fake. have a great day.."
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Known counterfeit.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a fake.
    A sad one at that.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Really crappy fake. Lettering is all wrong, design features all wrong, just....just...all wrong. Sometimes when you see a coin and it just makes your spidey senses tingle, run. Your gut is probably right. The best thing to do is pull up a picture of a real one along side a suspect one. If you notice any discrepancies in the design features, run.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A singularly unconvincing counterfeit. I too shall report it to eBay.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the item mentioned has been removed by ebay at 2:15 est. good ridence to image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file