Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Aint if funny how dealers just love to

manipulate the .999 market?

Just a mere 2 weeks ago, when spot silver was in the high $17's, local dealers were paying me $200-210 for 10 oz bars. Now that spot is approaching $20, they only want to pay me spot ($195)...LOWER than what they were paying when spot was almost $2 (10%) LESS.

So I say to them, with that reasoning I should be able to buy back the bars I sold them just 1.5-2 weeks ago for $195 since that's where spot is at. They all say oh no, we need $210-215.
Bunch of greedy B(you know what) just manipulating the hell out of every dime they can get. Worse than when gas stations were jacking up the price of gasoline during 9-11. Yeah I said it, thats what Im comparing them to. Pure greed.
I understand that availability, inventory & demand all play into it, but it's just pure greed motivating them. And theyre trying to run this scam on a guy who knows the game. Imagine what theyre doing to people who dont know what they have? Case in point, one dealer bragged to me that he was able to buy 30 10 oz.'ers $3900. That just sickens me how some dealers take advantage of some folks.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...OUCH! image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    perhaps if silver stays above 19 for a while they will see more buyers at that level and will feel more comfortable buying at higher prices.

I'd love to hear from a dealer to explain the decrease in bid (besides "that's the market")
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, this is strictly a Supply and Demand issue. The premium has evaporated somewhat on the bars. In fact, I noticed it on silver bags, as well. The price hasn't gone hand in hand with the silver price. I don't believe that there is any special greed in place.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    In your own words, the dealers are offering to pay $195 and sell at $210-$215. Yet you called them "Bunch of greedy B(you know what) just manipulating the hell out of every dime they can get". That sure sounds harsh and unfair to me. Curiously, what was their sell price when they were paying $200-$210?
  • Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Except for "Case in point, one dealer bragged to me that he was able to buy 30 10 oz.'ers $3900", which IMHO IS sleezy and is the kind of crap the TV metal dealers do, dealers going back or forth a few percentage points over/under bid is more a function of the fears of where spot might be by the time they sell. If they're buying back from bid, then they're thinking (or preparing for) spot to drop some before they sell
    Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    I can understand your frustration in trying to get the best prices you can when you buy and sell, when you're dealing with greedy people.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I heard a chinese man once say, "as spot goes up, premium goes down, and vice versa."

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread belongs in the precious metals forum.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you play the precious metals game you take your chances.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    Kinda easy for most to understand.

If you don't like the buy price, don't sell.
    If you don't like the sell price, don't buy.

TRUTH

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I hear ya truthteller. When I can find fair, unmanipulated prices from dealers that dont want to bend you over and aren't driven by greed because an "opportunity" is presenting itself, I buy all I can.
    On the selling flipside, if folks cant realize value when it's offered I have no problem just keeping it in the pile and advise/remind them that the price wont be the same 10% higher from now.

It try to buy on dips too, just like everyone else, but when something is undervalued and im getting it at a fair price given whatever the current levels are, I keep adding. But when pure greed is the driver of the seller, he can keep his too.
  • Options

<< <i>I hear ya truthteller. When I can find fair, unmanipulated prices from dealers that dont want to bend you over and aren't driven by greed because an "opportunity" is presenting itself, I buy all I can.
    On the selling flipside, if folks cant realize value when it's offered I have no problem just keeping it in the pile and advise/remind them that the price wont be the same 10% higher from now.

It try to buy on dips too, just like everyone else, but when something is undervalued and im getting it at a fair price given whatever the current levels are, I keep adding. But when pure greed is the driver of the seller, he can keep his too. >>

You still haven't indicated what the dealer's buy-sell spread was at the time he was buying for $200-$210, as opposed to now, when it's $195 buy and $210-$215 sell.

We don't have any information showing that the spread is larger now than it was when you weren't accusing them of being "Bunch of greedy B(you know what) just manipulating the hell out of every dime they can get". And even now, the spread is approximately 7% to 10%, which doesn't sound piggish to me.
  • Options
    I agree with Mark...and frankly, it's hard to stay in business if you only buy silver bars...look at A-Mark's numbers...the profit margins are very small. I wouldn't even do it for 7%...
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Mark,
    You are a man of great patience and restraint. --Jerry
  • Options
    LOL...I knew this would turn into a pile-on. Chat boards are so predictable. Good day.
  • Options

<< <i>LOL...I knew this would turn into a pile-on. Chat boards are so predictable. Good day. >>

On the contrary, it appears that you were hoping for a pile on, atop the bullion dealers, but it didn't materialize.

And even after being asked (and then having it pointed out to you that you hadn't responded), you failed to provide any facts/information with which to back up your nasty accusations. So now, because others disagree with you and/or called you on it, you want to take your ball and go home.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Yup, all us dealers live for nothing other than to manipulate the silver market image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>Aint if funny how dealers just love to... manipulate the .999 market?

Just a mere 2 weeks ago, when spot silver was in the high $17's, local dealers were paying me $200-210 for 10 oz bars. Now that spot is approaching $20, they only want to pay me spot ($195)...LOWER than what they were paying when spot was almost $2 (10%) LESS. >>

So your complaint is that dealers have manipulated the silver market to increase spot from $17 to $20, in order that they might pay less for silver?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread belongs in the precious metals forum. >>

Why? The PM forum has been taken over by threads about the housing market and politics. Not as much about PMs as it used to be there.

Now, for this thread, I am just waiting for 2 dealers in particular to chime in like they always do whenever they think someone has said something not nice about a dealer or how they work..... image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Sweet diatribe.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    So they were paying you over well over spot before, and now they only want to pay you spot? Heck, most dealers are only able to get a little over spot when they themselves sell.

I don't see what you're whining about. If anything, you should be happy they were paying you well over spot for a period of time.

And of course some gas stations rose the price of gas after 9/11... when the main source of American oil is the middle east, and then people from the middle east bomb us, it will decrease confidence in the American oil supply, and thus increase American prices.

And of course a business is going to try to get every dime they can---especially when working on a bullion dealer's margin. You sound like just another person who likes to bash dealers for the sake of it.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMHO, this is strictly a Supply and Demand issue. The premium has evaporated somewhat on the bars. In fact, I noticed it on silver bags, as well. The price hasn't gone hand in hand with the silver price. I don't believe that there is any special greed in place. >>

Silver has been in the $19+ area a few times since the 2008 commodity spike and bust...

each time it has retreated to the 17 or 16 area.

nerves?

(It would be great for silver to push past and firmly close above $21... but hope is for fools in this biz)
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    You can just find another buyer that is looking to make slightly less of a razor thin margin than the original dealer is making, and sell to him. You don't have to sell to the dealer you normally sell to.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    I would guess that if every dealer bought at spot; and sold at spot... there wouldn't be too many dealers.

Like any business there needs to be a margin of profit. Those margins are typically controlled through the normal competition between businesses competing for your business. If you don't like what goes on at one place go to another.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a person is trying to make about 5% on an item for sale. They have to keep the lights on by paying the electric bill. I am not sure 5% qualifies as Manipulating the market and ripping people off.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    Maybe some should re-read my initial post where I say:

<<I understand that availability, inventory & demand all play into it, but it's just pure greed motivating them. And theyre trying to run this scam on a guy who knows the game. Imagine what theyre doing to people who dont know what they have? Case in point, one dealer bragged to me that he was able to buy 30 10 oz.'ers $3900. That just sickens me how some dealers take advantage of some folks.>>

Did you deal face to face with these local B&M dealers, or did I?

The old "have to pay the electric bill" is one of just many tired lines dealers use. What a joke.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Everybody has the right to charge any amount of premium they wish to when they sell and be willing (or unwilling) to pay any amount of premium when they buy. If you don't agree with the terms then you have the right to deal with somebody else.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL...I knew this would turn into a pile-on. Chat boards are so predictable. Good day. >>

Nobody is forcing your presence on this forum. If you don't like this message board then leave because you are under no obligation to stay.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options

<< <i>Bunch of greedy B(you know what) just manipulating the hell out of every dime they can get. Worse than when gas stations were jacking up the price of gasoline during 9-11. Yeah I said it, thats what Im comparing them to. Pure greed. >>

Unless the dealer you go to has a sign that says United Way on there front door then they are entitled to make a profit. Furthermore, you found a dealer that is paying above spot for 10 oz bars based on your initial posting. Boy they sure sound greedy to me. They are no more greedy than you are going to work and then expecting to get paid every two weeks.

• Options
    Regardless of the premium itself contracting (& presumably expanding in some cycle) over time, the spread of $15-20 is not totally off base.
  • Options

<< <i>The old "have to pay the electric bill" is one of just many tired lines dealers use. What a joke. >>

You mean like the old "but you offered more last week" line that sellers use? Something like that? image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The old "have to pay the electric bill" is one of just many tired lines dealers use. What a joke. >>

You mean like the old "but you offered more last week" line that sellers use? Something like that? image >>

I'm not a dealer, just a poor schmuck pointing the lofty 5% rip off. I was in business for myself for 7 years so I know what it takes to pay the bills and 5% doesn't cut it. If you started and ended this thread complaining about the 13 per ounce rip off you mentioned then I would have been on your side but when it seems most of your gripe is over 5% it kinda makes me go image that is what I don't get and it seems that others on here see the same thing as me.
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should become a dealer and handle it the way you'd like to see. Set the example for others....
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps you should become a dealer and handle it the way you'd like to see. Set the example for others.... >>

imageimage
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    If you want to buy precious metals and make more money, don't purchase the bullion from a dealer. If you want to purchase silver and not get nailed with the premiums, purchase something like iShares Silver Trust (ETF)
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options
    ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    Here's one for gold. Link
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
  • Options

<< <i>If you started and ended this thread complaining about the 13 per ounce rip off you mentioned then I would have been on your side but when it seems most of your gripe is over 5% it kinda makes me go image that is what I don't get and it seems that others on here see the same thing as me. >>

Just to be clear here, you quoted me, but I didn't complain about anything (at least, not in this thread).
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that availability, inventory & demand all play into it, but it's just pure greed motivating them.

Didn't Adam Smith cover this in another thread about 234 years ago?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can just find another buyer that is looking to make slightly less of a razor thin margin than the original dealer is making, and sell to him. You don't have to sell to the dealer you normally sell to. >>

Exactly! But you will drive all around town or ship it to find the extra 2%. Or maybe, just maybe, you let the guy make a few bucks and he thinks of you the next time something comes through his door that you collect. image

That is the dealers offer. You do not have to take, but it does not sound unreasonable at all. Speaking of which, well, I will just leave it alone. It may be fodder for the next "why dealers drink" thread.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I understand that availability, inventory & demand all play into it, but it's just pure greed motivating them.

Didn't Adam Smith cover this in another thread about 234 years ago? >>

rofl. IIRC: John Nash had a counterpoint ~50 years ago.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would be amazed at the number of people we have, over the course of a year, complain that we pay less than we sell stuff for (if they are selling), or complain that we sell stuff for more than we pay for it (if they are buying).

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mikeygmikeyg Posts: 1,002

Do I understand this right?? The poster is unhappy that a dealer is selling merchandise for 210.00 or 215.00 that he paid 195.00 for??I think thats not too much to ask...but what do I know?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <The old "have to pay the electric bill" is one of just many tired lines dealers use. What a joke>

No, I really believe they need to pay the electric bill. Otherwise, it's bring your own flashlight and things tend to get messy. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><The old "have to pay the electric bill" is one of just many tired lines dealers use. What a joke>

No, I really believe they need to pay the electric bill. Otherwise, it's bring your own flashlight and things tend to get messy. MJ >>

We also try to keep the flush toilets working.........

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't slogged through all of the replies, but I'm still stuck on trying to find the "manipulation". And I'm not even a dealer.

At $15-$17 per ounce, there were a lot of retail buyers for physical metal willing to pay a premium to spot. Sometimes that is all that is required to bring in enough material - a higher buy premium. At $19, not as many retail buyers. Seems straightforward on the buy price.

Sorry that you didn't get your desired result, whatever that was.
  • Options
    Everyones got me figured out. My motive, my resentment. You all just have me pegged. Yet not one person here has ever met me or knows anything about me, and I was the one walking in the stores hearing dealers bragging about how they just bent someone over for $2000 and then wanted to sell to me (a regular customer) for top Dollar because an opportunity has presented itself.

It's clear where all you dealers motives are and that you gotta get each others back to keep the deceit going on the general public. I love it when someone speaks truth & relaity on message boards, and others who have nothing better to do feel like they have to play devils advocate just for the sake of arguing. Have fun talking to yourselves and keeping my thread at the top when you dont agree with me. Now thats irony! Hey, have your opinions. I lived mine regarding this. So you all are saying it's ok for a dealer to rape someone just because that person didnt know what they had? Because thats what youre saying. Charge what the hell ever you guys want. Thats not where my argument is. My argument is dealers taking advantage of innocent people and why i reposted the MAIN part and point of my initial thread at 5:23 PM. But I guess you all only want to see & read what you want to. Thats fine. You have to live with yourselves, I dont.

Now pick all this apart since it's obvious you have the time to. Funny how so much caring is being put on what a nobody like me has to say. Thats saying something in & of itself, now isnt it?
    Keep it at the top for days picking apart what is NOT the root of what I initially wrote. rotflmao at you people!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Everyones got me figured out. My motive, my resentment. You all just have me pegged. Yet not one person here has ever met me or knows anything about me, and I was the one walking in the stores hearing dealers bragging about how they just bent someone over for $2000 and then wanted to sell to me (a regular customer) for top Dollar because an opportunity has presented itself.

It's clear where all you dealers motives are and that you gotta get each others back to keep the deceit going on the general public. I love it when someone speaks truth & relaity on message boards, and others who have nothing better to do feel like they have to play devils advocate just for the sake of arguing. Have fun talking to yourselves and keeping my thread at the top when you dont agree with me. Now thats irony! Hey, have your opinions. I lived mine regarding this. So you all are saying it's ok for a dealer to rape someone just because that person didnt know what they had? Because thats what youre saying. Charge what the hell ever you guys want. Thats not where my argument is. My argument is dealers taking advantage of innocent people and why i reposted the MAIN part and point of my initial thread at 5:23 PM. But I guess you all only want to see & read what you want to. Thats fine. You have to live with yourselves, I dont.

Now pick all this apart since it's obvious you have the time to. Funny how so much caring is being put on what a nobody like me has to say. Thats saying something in & of itself, now isnt it?
    Keep it at the top for days picking apart what is NOT the root of what I initially wrote. rotflmao at you people!!! >>

• Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Definition: Hobby - An activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, typically done during one's leisure time.

Maybe you should find a new one.

Doesn't sound like you're having too much fun.

• Options
    I am sure that you try to buy as cheap as possible and sell for much as possible. Why is it upsetting to you that everyone else wants to do the same thing?
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anybody is really rallying around this dealer. It's just the first case you presented was well..... rather weak in my opinion and I think others agree. It was kind of a non -event.

The other examples you cited we hear all the time and those dealers should be avoided like plauge. We all know that. We also know that we have choices on who to do business with.

FYI it looks like you know what you are doing as I see you have silver bars up for sale I think since Aug 29 on the BST. No asking price. Curious, what do you consider a fair offer?

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=786451
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file