Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ever buy a cheap set and get pleasantly surprised?

Actually bought it over a year ago and certainly glanced at it when I got it but took my first hard look at it today. The coins are all in remarkable condition and certainly well exceeded my expectations. I expected a Dansco with circulated coins but its clear whoever put it together probably built it out of mint sets with a couple minor exceptions. Some nice mild toning as well on some coins, mostly the 40% Silvers.

Really surprised with this set. Been trying to get some photos but at best its tough as heck to photograph.

John
Coin Photos

Never view my other linked pages. They aren't coin related.

Comments

• JJ, where are the pics?
  • Bought a 3 coin set of commems off eBay once from a member here on the Forum all graded PCGS 64. Broke one of them out and resubmitted it and it came back as a 65. I had been trying to find that coin in a 65 for over a year and had it at home the whole time.
    I think I paid $84 for the 3 coin set and the upgrade was a $350 coin.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Yea bought a 1974 mint set for my collection and when I got it home and looked at it with a magnifying glass the kennedy was a DDO listed in the Redbook, went back to the coin shop and asked to look thru all of the sets he had for 1974 and found 2 more sets with the DDO kennedy. Thought that was pretty neat that I found 3 sets out of the 35 sets he had on hand.
    COINHUNTER
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a set of eight bronze Coin World Mint medals on eBay for $8. When the medals arrived I noticed that the New Orleans medal had a 1962 dated reverse, something that was only to have been used on the Charlotte medal.

I've never seen another New Orleans medal with the 1962 dated reverse.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did get a set from the mint (I forget the year, will have to go look at them) that had the 'shadow D', where the D was removed from the die, but left a faint sign of it. Still have it. Although it caused a bit of a stir at the time, I do not believe it has ever been officially recognized - certainly not in the Redbook. Likely only a niche collector would want it. Cheers, RickO
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I had a vest-pocket-dealer friend who bought a dansco album of Lincoln Wheat cents about 10 years ago (minus the '09-S VDB).
    Just last year he was cleaning his coin-office and found the album. He flipped through the album looking at the coins, and noticed that the
    1955 was actually the DDO!!! It graded MS-64RB

...and most of the coins in that set were AU/MS
  • phehpheh Posts: 1,588
    Bought a Buffalo set that upon closer inspection contained a 1918/7-D. It graded VG-10 at PCGS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file