Home Precious Metals
Options

The stock market will crash tomorrow!...On the other hand, perhaps not!

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
Why, because I said so, that's why.
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up oh Sultan Oman of Hindy............I sold all my stocks today. image

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Next time give me the heads up...... before the market closes! image
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    Actually it may be anytime in the next 6 months,but since 50 million Americans

are now getting some type of Governmental assistance, I do not see a positive

outcome for the stock markets. The frantic oscillations of the market on a daily

basis, further confirms my apprehensions.The lack of jobs, the continuing loss of

assets of the middle class ,as well as the inability of our Government to correct the

major defects in our financial industry, will take years to correct ,if ever. I believe that

optimistic views may well be validated in the distant future, but do not seem appropriate

in the near future. What is disturbing the worlds economic well being ,will need time of

indeterminate duration ,to again reach a healthy equilibrium.In the mean time, I guess we

pay down debt, keep stacking and hope for the best. After all, 124 trillion dollars of debt is

not so bad. Its just a matter of a few thousand years to get it all paid off.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One out of every six Americans is on some form of assistance. This stat stills blows me away. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    It feels as if the entire economy is hanging on a string ,that is

slowly unraveling.Everyone is tip toeing around in stocking feet

afraid that a single wrong move will break the thread and our National

fantasy ,will come crashing down into 300 million pieces.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    Where I live, hundreds- thousands of people get up and go to work everyday. Yes our employers may be letting various departments shrink through attrition and non-replacement, and there always seems to be water-cooler talk about the next "reorg", but for the 88% of the people in my state who are officially "not-unemployed", the earth still turns more or less as it did when I was hired, 2 & 1/2 years ago. Sure, things are bad. But the clock isn't winding down. Many people like me still have jobs and are still paying our taxes. We'll get through this.

Like Warren Buffett said, it didn't pay to bet against America in 1776, and it won't pay to do so now.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where I live, hundreds- thousands of people get up and go to work everyday. Yes our employers may be letting various departments shrink through attrition and non-replacement, and there always seems to be water-cooler talk about the next "reorg", but for the 88% of the people in my state who are officially "not-unemployed", the earth still turns more or less as it did when I was hired, 2 & 1/2 years ago. Sure, things are bad. But the clock isn't winding down. Many people like me still have jobs and are still paying our taxes. We'll get through this.

Like Warren Buffett said, it didn't pay to bet against America in 1776, and it won't pay to do so now. >>

Good point!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options

<< <i>

Like Warren Buffett said, it didn't pay to bet against America in 1776, and it won't pay to do so now. >>

Warren should have bet against Conoco Phillips, but he believed in them too. America is much different
    today then it was in 1776. I have faith in the hard working American people. I don't have faith in the people
    of this country who control the money. Once people/countries stop buying our debt, then look out below.
  • Options
    Warren Buffet is another globalist shill. He is a big supporter of Goldman Sachs and the banksters. I have lost all respect for him. As far as I am concerned anything he says is pure propaganda.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GB, You need to stop reading most of the bs that's posted by the "Conspiracy Theorists" If any one can predict anything even close to future events, we'd all be millionaires. As mentioned before by posters, if it happens, it will always come as a big surprise to most.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Oil should be around $25 a barrel, the rest is just speculation. We now have an overabundance of stored oil. They don't know what to do with it. That is a sure sign that there is no demand for it because of collapsing economies.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    disinflationary on oil. Supply & demand.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Bear...you're all wet on this prediction. Just read CNN Money today. One of their banner stories is "Stocks bounce back on renewed consumer optimism." Of course they have bounced back a little under one quarter of one percent so far today but optimism abounds.
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    No crash yet, but it IS going in the negative direction!
  • Options
    "One hundred million Americans now receive unemployment benefits, expanded welfare payments and child credits, food stamps, housing subsidies, Medicaid, and (soon enough) ObamaCare." Americanthinker.com

As many have mentioned above, we do have are problems, and they do not appear to be getting better. But, one point that seems to be missing is what I believe to be the real crisis facing our country, and that is the fact they we are addicted to foreign oil, meaning every time we fill up our gas tank, we are transferring wealth outside of this country and into another. It doesn't matter what we do, or what policies we make, until we either drill within our borders, or find an alternative to crude, our money is literally going up in smoke.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yahoo headline "Insiders Sell $100 Million in Stock."
  • Options

<< <i>Yahoo headline "Insiders Sell $100 Million in Stock." >>

I'm sure he's kicking himself in the ars now...should have waited until today.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Warren Buffett said, it didn't pay to bet against America in 1776, and it won't pay to do so now.

Yeah, except back then there weren't $213 TRILLON in otc derivatives being carried by our top 25 banks. Back then the top 5 banks marked their assets to market. If our top 5 banks did that today they'd be instantly insolvent with far too little reserves to cover their liabilites. It ain't 1776 anymore. And even though old Warren publically based otc derivatives as Financial Weapons of Mass Destruction back in 2003, he is still carrying his share of them.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    We had different kinds of financial problems back then. John Adams just about died of consumption trying to convince the Dutch to establish the Nation's credit. If he hadn't succeeded...

Besides RR I suspect you know full well that fancy-big number is notional value of contracts, not their settlement value, which is a fraction of a % of the underlying. Might be useful for shocking the rubes, but not much else. The notional value of Lehman's counterparty derivative exposure was in the hundreds of billions- trumpeted far and wide- and was ultimately settled, quickly and without further mkt dislocations, for total losses in the high single-digit billions- a fraction of the notional.

Further lost in the hype is the folly of marking an asset one intends to hold to maturity- especially so over long periods of time- at "market" prices. Banks have always been involved in an inherently risky, difficult to price carry that is essential to any economy hoping to allocate capital effectively. Marking to market generates the opposite of stability, exposing balance sheets to unwelcome volatility and yes, speculative attacks that have no place in a stable financial system. That's not to say mark to model can't be abused, but still... mark to market is no panacea and not appropriate for valuing long-term assets (bank loans).

Lots have complained about Berkshire Hathaway's derivatives, but few get the subtlety- a derivative contract really is just another flavor of insurance, and properly priced, the assumption of such exposures can be quite reasonable for an insurer to assume. Berkshire is first and foremost an insurance company with great expertise in (and success at) the pricing and coverage of exotic insurance risks. And further, Berkshire's contracts don't require Berkshire to post collateral when your beloved "mark to market" value of the contract drops below some level- in contrast to the vast majority of derivative contracts for example written by AIG. You should also note that Warren Buffett spent the better part of several years unwinding the tens of thousands of mispriced derivatives in the portfolio of General Re, a reinsurance which Berkshire acquired in 2000- and roughly finished that unwinding around the time of that WMD quote.

Per usual, the reality is far subtler and nuanced than the pundits would have you believe...
  • Options
    Bear? Any more predictions? I'll know which way to go the next time you have oneimage
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mark to market is no panacea and not appropriate for valuing long-term assets (bank loans).

It's not appropriate either to run a banking operation at 30:1 leverage for the purpose of generating high fees on notional values and when the pyramid collapses to hand a bill over to the taxpayers for payment.

When they decided to change the rules for valuation and the long-held accounting standards on which every enterprise in the country had been based, somebody lost and I have a hunch that it wasn't the bankers.

Market valuation is the reality. Valuation models used for flash trading are part of the problem.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Warren should have bet against Conoco Phillips, but he believed in them too. America is much different
    today then it was in 1776. I have faith in the hard working American people. I don't have faith in the people
    of this country who control the money. Once people/countries stop buying our debt, then look out below. >>

So you don't have any faith in the fed or banking system, of course most of the posters here don't.....or even actually believe in capitalism as far as I can discern.
    but you would have had faith in the financial system in 1776 image

BTW, don't feel too sorry for Warren, the total return for COP in the last decade, which of course has been a lousy decade for stocks, was over 11% annualized.
  • Options
    If we selected sensible people to run the Government, we would be OK. However

we always elect politicians that pander to the selfishness of humanity and by so

doing ,deplete trust and confidence of our fickle population. It seems, that it is every

man and woman must look out for themselves in the face of lobbyist money, mega

corporations and the revolving door between government officials regulating the

industries that have just come from and to which they will soon return. Not what the

Founding Fathers had in mind at all.
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>If we selected sensible people to run the Government, we would be OK. However

we always elect politicians that pander to the selfishness of humanity and by so

doing ,deplete trust and confidence of our fickle population. It seems, that it is every

man and woman must look out for themselves in the face of lobbyist money, mega

corporations and the revolving door between government officials regulating the

industries that have just come from and to which they will soon return. Not what the

Founding Fathers had in mind at all. >>

As always, you're full of wisdom.......but what about your next prediction?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear, you rock! My largest stock position is up 20% since you posted this thread, and I'm over $100,000 richer! Please PLEASE post a new thread predicting a huge crash for Tuesday!

one more time, and that new bonus room add-on and in-ground pool will be so sweet! look for me posting a picture of my new Lexus coupe!

THANK YOU BEAR!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I am pleased by you folks counter intuitive thinking success,over my prediction.

While I hope everything works out well for all, I have fears that the rise

in market prices ,is merely an illusion of well being, on the precipice of disaster.

I truly hope that my misgivings ,are totally wrong.
    Camelotimage