Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver

Some are saying that silver is about to leave the teens and never return. Your thoughts ?

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never say "never".image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rpwrpw Posts: 235 ✭✭
    I was looking for $17.75 to make a good sized purchase and of course it's not going there.
    imageimage Small Size National Bank Note Type Set $5-$100
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some are saying that silver is about to leave the teens and never return. Your thoughts ? >>

It will happen when everyone least expects it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some are saying that silver is about to leave the teens and never return. Your thoughts ? >>

It will happen when everyone least expects it. >>

so... maybe tomorrow?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

It will happen when everyone least expects it. >>

so... maybe tomorrow? >>

Not likely but it could happen. What if tonight Israel nuked all the hardened sites in Iran involved in their nuclear weapons program and Iran then retaliated by closing the Straight of Hormuz cutting off much of the worlds oil supplies?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I hope one day it'll see the single digits again...I was too young to hop on the bandwagon back then and the way the prices were then..for once I wish I was 10 years older image
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm certainly optimistic that it's right around the corner. If it is, great. I'm pretty comfortable with what I've stashed away.
    If it's not, I'll just keep on keepin' on.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>I hope one day it'll see the single digits again...I was too young to hop on the bandwagon back then and the way the prices were then..for once I wish I was 10 years older image >>

You were "too young" in October of 2008? Or were you just too scared after watching silver plummet from $21 to $9? Which was it?

Single digit silver less than 24 months ago
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fast forward to 2015:
    "Will silver every drop below $50 again"

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    pragmaticgoatpragmaticgoat Posts: 834 ✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for $4.25 again
    BST references:
    jdimmick;Gerard;wondercoin;claychaser;agentjim007;CCC2010;guitarwes;TAMU15;Zubie;mariner67;segoja;Smittys;kaz;CARDSANDCOINS;FadeToBlack;
    jrt103;tizofthe;bronze6827;mkman;Scootersdad;AllCoinsRule;coindeuce;dmarks;piecesofme; and many more
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I hope one day it'll see the single digits again...I was too young to hop on the bandwagon back then and the way the prices were then..for once I wish I was 10 years older image >>

You were "too young" in October of 2008? Or were you just too scared after watching silver plummet from $21 to $9? Which was it?

Single digit silver less than 24 months ago >>

I guess I was referring to when it was around $4/ounce...and I haven't been in the hobby before Feb '09 so I would have had no idea about this silver plummet.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect a correction to the $18 range. That is when I buy SLV again and probably some more physical.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I read somewhere, someone posted charts are saying clear sailing to $21.50. Could hold true?
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options

<< <i>I read somewhere, someone posted charts are saying clear sailing to $21.50. Could hold true? >>

So if your cost of 100 ozs was $18.50 would you sell at $21.50? $300 profit
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I read somewhere, someone posted charts are saying clear sailing to $21.50. Could hold true? >>

So if your cost of 100 ozs was $18.50 would you sell at $21.50? $300 profit >>

Sure, I would sell....if I needed the money. The only other reason to sell is if you think the price is going down. A couple years ago, if you bought in at $8, and it skyrocketed to $12, would you have sold? It would have been a great profit, but in hindsight it would have been a bad decision. So, again, I would only sell if I needed the money. That is one of the great things about silver. The buy and sell prices are almost entirely determined by spot.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I was around when silver dropped in '08 but the cheapest i could get was 12-14 dollars per ounce...so much for single digits.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I was around when silver dropped in '08 but the cheapest i could get was 12-14 dollars per ounce...so much for single digits. >>

Physical shortages quickly appear when the price is too low or too high.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When silver breaks out within a few weeks you'll never see double digits again.

It's not a matter "if", but "when".
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Cladking...it's going to $100+ in a few weeks?!!?
  • Options

<< <i>Cladking...it's going to $100+ in a few weeks?!!? >>

If its going to 100+ in a few weeks... im selling everything I physically own, going to the bank in the AM, and buying every single piece I can get my hands on... Ill ride the next few weeks out in a tent. If only I "knew" it was going to $100+
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Cladking...it's going to $100+ in a few weeks?!!? >>

Ouch!

I phrased that badly. I just meant when it breaks out it will take only a few weeks before it leaves double digits behind forever.

Keep in mind though that forever is a pretty long time. Adjusted for inflation, to the degree it can be adjusted for inflation, it might well in the unforseeable future dip back to being worth less than a few hours pays.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    It looks like the minority got it right......for now.
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    after the elections, gold and silver will start to drop again.
  • Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405

<< <i>after the elections, gold and silver will start to drop again. >>

Let's hope so!
    I have the feeling that we'll see a drop after the elections, than a spike before Xmas until next spring and another big drop next summer.
    I hope to see silver back to $15/16 and gold in the 1000s (I don't see gold going below that!).
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Might trade some gold for silver in December.

Buying old collections is kind of a cool way to get silver. All B&M's usually have some walker and washie albums that they have cherry picked and then just stuck back on the shelf. Occasionally, one is even offered in our PM BST. Sometimes these Dansco's have g'ish date/mm sets with the keys picked and sometimes they have vf+ or better sets that have been cherry picked. Example, washie albums (when full) hold 83 quarters at .181 oz pure ea. or 15.02 oz of .999. A cherry picked washie album will have 79 or 80 @ .181 or 14.48 oz. .999. Similar situation on the walkers but you are talkin' .362 oz. a coin and it's a shorter run and these albums are heavily picked over because there are a lot of fairly rare dates (but sometimes they miss the '38D).

Point is that lots of dealers are covered up with these albums and they don't want to throw the albums away (if they are nice Dansco's) and they don't want to put the coins in the counter junk box and they don't want to hassle with putting them all in flips so they keep the loaded albums on a shelf or something. It's not bad form to ask him to pull a few of these out and since the coins, in general, are a little weak, their numismatic value is almost nonexistent when buying an ablum from a dealer. Most times, you can get a picked album for something either under or just over bullion. It's good for the dealer because he clears some stale inventory at a reasonable price and good for the stacker because he gets some coins to play with and some silver at the same time for not much premium, if any at all. Just put all the junk in a roll and you have a roll of 90%. Pretty soon, you have a few rolls of 90% that you can trade or sell for something nice.

The good part of this strategy is that if you keep a "mother" album and just buy the dealer albums and upgrade into the "mother" set, you can end up with a wad of extra 90% for nearly spot and put together a pretty nice album on the side. Kind of like going to the store or bank when you were younger and buying $40 worth of quarters and going through the rolls to make a date/mm set. So, for a marginal $20 lib, you could walk into your B&M and walk out with a nice box of silver (a few sets of washies and walkers) with out paying a premium for it and 90% is a very liquid and well known commodity. And, you can do it with mercs or roosies just the same way.

Happy Trails
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mhammerman, my last bulk purchase of 90% silver was a $1,000 face bag of halves a couple years ago, from Tulving.

They sent me a $500 bag of BU 1964-D Kennedys, and the other $500 bag was mixed halves. From that $500 bag, I completed 3 full sets of Frankies and they weren't in that bad of condition! Some of the Walkers were decent circulated coins as well.

When I looked over the Kennedys, a few of them were toning, nothing spectacular but kinda interesting.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

<< <i>after the elections, gold and silver will start to drop again. >>

Inertia. Even if the rudders begin to be turned in January it will take years and several election cycles to get this ship headed in the direction of fiscal responsibility. Gold and silver may drop for a period, but the bull will continue to run for some years to come.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826