Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1875 CC Dime and CC Die Question

I have not had much opportunity to learn about the Mint at Carson City or the types dies and presses used at
that facility. I was wondering if die cracking like this is fairly common for the period in which the Carson City
Mint was in operation? This dime is in no kind of great condition at all but I was at an Antique Mall this weekend
and I saw it and what caught my eye about it was the amount of cracks on the obverse and the
Struck Though Grease reverse. ( I Think) Just thought it was something cool to share and maybe learn something
about some CC coins.
And I figured that anything with a CC on it is worth the few bucks I gave for it.

Terry

Comments

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The majority of what is present on your coin are old scratches, however the area within and above the letters E-R-I-C does present a die crack that appears to be a very early stage of a cud forming on the die.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin has been sliced and diced too many time to make a determination.
    They may just be deeper cuts that moved metal upward and then the wear comes
    and they begin to look like die breaks.
    Can't tell.

The presses used to mint coins were the same in all the mints at that time I believe.
    Dies were of course Philadelphia made and shipped west.

Here is a pic of the press (with me on the left and Ken the coiner on the right) that
    was in use at that time.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree...mostly PMD.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    Here is everything you wanted to know about the 75-cc dime and more.

seated dime

Agree with others your coin has pmd, but the dimes is known to have cracks. Read all about it on Gerry Fortin's site.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file