Home Precious Metals
Options

The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.

That is the bizarre — and scary — rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which covers this vast jurisdiction, recently decided the government can monitor you in this way virtually anytime it wants — with no need for a search warrant.

It is a dangerous decision — one that, as the dissenting judges warned, could turn America into the sort of totalitarian state imagined by George Orwell. It is particularly offensive because the judges added insult to injury with some shocking class bias: the little personal privacy that still exists, the court suggested, should belong mainly to the rich.They are watching!
Many successful BST transactions ajia
(x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
mariner67, and Mikes coins

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They can track my boring movements anytime they want, matter of fact, I'll be doing my weekly grocery shopping and may even stop by the PO on Monday. If you have nothing to hide, I'll doubt very much you'll ever be bothered. The ones that do, should fear this so called "invasion of their rights." Perhaps, heaven forbid, it might even foil a terrorist plot.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better get rid of that cell phone too.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

The Government is broke and cannot hire 20 million people to track us all. Oh they'd like to no doubt.

I'm a firm believer that when this fiat currency collapses - every Government employee, law, function, department, and expenditure is going to be reviewed and in many cases removed.
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements. >>

... and you have every legal right to take it and keep it if you find it. And put it on a local police car or delivery truck. Or leave it in your driveway. Or in a corner of a bar.
  • Options
    The govt. is secretly implanting miniture gps devices into our foods to track us also.They are really really tiny and are almost invisible to the naked eye.You need a magnifiying glass to see them....image
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements. >>

... and you have every legal right to take it and keep it if you find it. And put it on a local police car or delivery truck. Or leave it in your driveway. Or in a corner of a bar. >>

.......or smash it with a sledge hammer.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i can understand the driveway part...but attaching to your car?
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    I hear all that new bunch of 100 bills will be traceable. Source,"over heard at coin show". Anyone else hear anything similar?
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    The ruling is from the 9th Circus Court of Appeasement...need anymore be said?

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank God for garages and door locks.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the government or anyone else tracking my movements is going to get very bored
    hell, put cameras in my home, at work, around my yard... you're going to monitor one busy guy earning a living, raising a family, mowing lawn, taking out the trash...

yawn.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have A.D.D. I often can not remember where I parked my car at the airport or at the mall. This device and a phone number to my local spook agency could be a Godsend. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    What about my Foursquare application image.

Checking and the government will know where...... image
  • Options

<< <i>Better get rid of that cell phone too. >>

"The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves"

They have been doing it legally since 1998

Good one Rick, Surprised more people did not mention this.

People for so long have overlooked the humble cell phone as a tracking device.
    When all cell phone manufacturers and service providers
    were ordered by the government to put in place a tracking system,GPS Chip for each and every
    cell phone to begin implementation in 1998 . It is the E911 Law. (Look it up)
    Any Police officer with a "Supposed" valid reason can call any Cell Service Provider
    and just by identifying himself as a Police officer along with his badge number
    and possibly by now a password. can give the operator a cell phone number
    and the operator will give the Officer of the location of the cell phone.
    The Law was easily passed because it will keep us "safer"

Tie that in with the new laptop's that are in every police cruiser.
    All the Office has to do is punch in your plate number of your car
    or believe it or not take your driver's license an slide it like
    a credit card on a card reader attached to their laptop
    and everything in you life comes up on the screen
    in a few seconds.

It is all just a matter of if you lead an interesting enough life to expend assets to track you

I know I don't I look at little shiny metal disc's most of the timeimage
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    re GPS and your cell phone:

The cell phone does not transmit your GPS location unless you dial 911 or you program your phone to do that. The default is not to transmit GPS. There are some social network sites and phone features where some people might want to transmit their GPS at all times. This allows others on the site to see where their buddies are. That we be the only scenario along with 911 calls where the police could do what you stated.
  • Options

<< <i>re GPS and your cell phone:

The cell phone does not transmit your GPS location unless you dial 911 or you program your phone to do that. The default is not to transmit GPS. There are some social network sites and phone features where some people might want to transmit their GPS at all times. This allows others on the site to see where their buddies are. That we be the only scenario along with 911 calls where the police could do what you stated. >>

In one aspect you are right. You can disable the the tracking for social sites and web type applications
    You can NOT shut off the tracking for E911 on any Cell Phone in the U.S.
    regardless of what the cell phone is telling you
    The phone will not do that unless you can find some kind
    of a hack for your individual model phone that will disable it.
    I have never heard of one yet. The GPS is a piece of hardware in the phone
    not software
    The cell service provider company can activate it at will for any cell number on their network
    without you calling 911
    and have done it on numerous occasions for local law enforcement.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭
    The cell service provider company can activate it at will for any cell number on their network without you calling 911 and have done it on numerous occasions for local law enforcement.

That is an urban legend. They can't remotely control your phone.

I used to work for the cell phone companies. They can track what cell site you are connected to and give a rough estimate based on that of where you are to within kilometers. Useful if someone is lost in a National Forest of 1000's of square miles. It's far easier to search a few square miles than 1000's. They have done this. I even did this.

They can't activate your GPS and give an exact position.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often can not remember where I parked my car at the airport or at the mall. This device and a phone number to my local spook agency could be a Godsend. MJ

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    You want a funny story, this is one where people actually sign up for government sponsored "tracking" service....

Google For Funny Story on Goberment Tracking....

As a joke, I asked my wife for some tin foil to help prevent this happening to us. She's got a good sense of humor.

People will always give up privacy for convenience, plain and simple.... assume that in all your dealings and you will be better off.