Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buchanan Liberty Sell Out Question

Your imput is welcome.... Assumming the Buchanan Liberty First Spousal Gold Coins are a 15,000 total sellout, how many days/weeks/months must it take to sellout for us knowledgeable collectors/Flippers to declare the issue to be a winner ? Early prices on Ebay do not necessarily spell future value for an issue. If the MS Buchanans come in as say 60% of the Proof mintage, is that a winner ? Your thoughts are weclomed. Thanks, Mark.
Specialized Investments

Comments

• Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    IMO, it will not be a 15k issue. And it will sellout fast. Planchet limitations is my guess, anticipated demand, etc.

And the money coin will be the PR70 DCAM FS.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess (and it is just that, a guess) is that the 15,000 issue limit will be reached before the coin goes off sale. If it is "short struck" and sells out quickly, additional coins will be struck before the end of 2010.

A sellout of the Buchanan coin would definitively establish the Jackson/Van Buren coins, with total mintages around 12,000 each, as the keys to the "Liberty" short set. Under this circumstance, I would not expect the Buchanan coin to be a big "winner" for flippers, although some profit might be found for coins in the highest grades and First Strikes.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,685 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't see a sellout on these. Recent releases haven't done well, perhaps the fact that it's the liberty design will make it more popular, but I'm thinking not to the 15k level.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    I'd say recent Tyler's have done well. The Tyler price increase will have the flipsters out in full force. It's a classic herd move.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear a lot of talk about short sets but have yet to see them in the registry.
    So I wonder how strong of a following is there of the Liberties as a set?
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Being a Liberty design I think it will sellout but don't know when. I do know the past issued Liberty coins are bringing strong money.
  • Options
    I am probably wrong, but I believe it will sell out quickly, and they will not strike more.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict no sell out.

only slightly more that ""typical, recent"" sales.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The Mint doesn't live in a vacuum and I believe they know there will be a high demand for the Buchanan Liberty. Eric J. thinks it will be short struck but I believe otherwise. The Mint is out for profit and won't be missing this one. My believe is they will strike whatever the maximum is for this coin, time will tell.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IMO, it will not be a 15k issue. And it will sellout fast. Planchet limitations is my guess, anticipated demand, etc.

And the money coin will be the PR70 DCAM FS. >>

What happened? None of those predictions came to fruition. "It's time to toss out that broken crystal ball" image
    My guess ...collectors are tired of seeing rehashed older designs that just aren't any more popular now than they were 100 - 150 years ago.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that those who want them have them.

Recent week's sales have been minimal.

There will be no short strike, nor will it reach the 15k mintage limit.

They will stay on sale until the 3rd release next year.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    It's a great coin and a low mintage > sell out at 15K pieces IMO.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overdate: Luv the siglineimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Given recent prices on Ebay, you can purchase a bonafide First Strike MS70 or a PR 70 DCAM for not much more than what the mint is selling them for. The secondary market for top of the line coins will put a damper on the mint sales. Why spend $856 for the mints ungraded coin when you can guarantee highest grade for a reasonable amount more?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never posted a prediction on the mintage or availability of this coin because I really didn't know what might transpire. All I can say is that it's a great-looking coin and I hope that I can still snag a few before they are gone.

Priorites, priorites.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    What are the pop reports for Buchanan? I haven't looked yet, but it will be no surprise if pf70 is low.
    Remember, I'm pullen for ya; we're all in this together.---Red Green---
  • Options

<< <i>Overdate: Luv the siglineimage >>

Thanks! I plan to update it periodically (at least until I run out of dimes). image

• Options
    << What happened? None of those predictions came to fruition. >>

Mine still might: "My guess (and it is just that, a guess) is that the 15,000 issue limit will be reached before the coin goes off sale. If it is "short struck" and sells out quickly, additional coins will be struck before the end of 2010."

• Options

<< <i>What are the pop reports for Buchanan? I haven't looked yet, but it will be no surprise if pf70 is low. >>

So far it's about 2 to 1 ... 69's to 70's for both MS & PR. with PCGS (probably the reverse holds true for NGC)
  • Options
    Buchanan Proof 6,372 +54

Buchanan Uncirculated 4,085 +16

• Options
    Latest totals...

Buchanan’s Liberty Proof (2010) 6,494 122
    Buchanan’s Liberty Uncirculated (2010) 4,142 57

Wow another 179 sold in the last 2 weeks. At this rate, It's gonna take another 50 weeks to sell out.
  • Options
    So the Van Buren emerges as the likely key to the Liberty subset, in both uncirculated and proof.

• Options
    HIGHLOWLEAVESHIGHLOWLEAVES Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Are the Van Buren Spousal Gold MS/PF still thought of as being the "KEYS" to the Liberty subset ? I loioks like the PCGS PF 70 FS Bucks have done rather well on Ebay in recent weeks. Is that a clue to the future prices? Comments.......
    Specialized Investments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file