Home Precious Metals
Options

Any must-read sites or books about Palladium?

Hi Folks -

I'm considering adding a few ounces of Palladium to my holdings. Over the past week or so, I've tried to do as much homework and research as possible, but wanted to check in here and see if anyone could recommend any "must-read" sites, books, etc. related to Palladium.

My concern at this point is the unbelievable run-up in the spot-price since early 2009 and if I should just buy now, or wait for some kind of pullback or correction. Kudos to those of you who bought big when it was <$200/oz!

Mainly, I've been looking at 1oz Maple Leafs. The quality of the Silver Maple Leafs I own seems high and the RCM seems to be fairly well-respected. Does anyone see any issue with this?

Thanks in advance!

-Craig

Comments

• Options
    CiccioCiccio Posts: 1,405
    The Maple Leafs are nice and neat (better quality than the Silver Maple, IMO), while I found out this week that the Russian Ballerina and the Stillwater rounds have a lower quality, especially the latter.
    The Panda must be great (I don't own any), however they demand a higher premium. You can maybe look for some Pamp bars.

I like Pd but it swings too much up & down to really invest in it. I have just a few ounces but I am more a collector than an investor.
    I hope in a pull back because I would like to complete the Maple series. I don't think we will see the $200 range soon.

edited to add: Sorry, I don't have any book/websites reference...
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience with Palladium is don't buy large bars.

Stick with one ounce bars or coins.

The market is not very Liquid and large bars are almost impossible to sell (quickly).
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My experience with Palladium is don't buy large bars.

Stick with one ounce bars or coins.

The market is not very Liquid and large bars are almost impossible to sell (quickly). >>

I agree with the first 2 ... I had several 10 oz PAMP that I had no problem in selling (on eBay) during the last run-up at slightly above spot. (April-June)
    I would stay with well known bars, such as Credit Suisse or PAMP, since they are recognized universally.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    Greetings ....

Yes ..... I HIGHLY recommend this book. It is a MUST HAVE if you are into Pt or Pd.

It came out in 1997 so it will not have coins from then till now, of course, but it is the

best book on / about Pd and Pt I have found.

Pt & Pd book

Keep on Stack'n!!

S.B.
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    CraigLCraigL Posts: 91 ✭✭
    Outstanding info, thank you everyone.

Regarding that book.. is the information contained in it still relevant today? Just curious.

It sounds like the Maple Leafs will be a good choice when I decide to purchase. Cool.

Thanks again for all of the info everyone!

-Craig
  • Options
    Regarding that book.. is the information contained in it still relevant today?

Big time .......... image

[ I know, the way I am touting this book you would think that I wrote it ....

not the case .... it's just that good!! ]

In a bit !!
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not trying to talk you out of palladium and I am sure that it would be a decent investment, but every time I consider buying palladium I end up buying either silver, gold or platinum. I think it must be the premium, which is high in comparison to the others.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not trying to talk you out of palladium and I am sure that it would be a decent investment, but every time I consider buying palladium I end up buying either silver, gold or platinum. I think it must be the premium, which is high in comparison to the others. >>

That used to be the case, however, the average premium on name brand bars is in the $18-$22 range per oz. My guess about the same as gold.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."