Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Wish I Knew Then What I Know Now

This is an example of “I wish I knew then what I know now.” Here are some images of a couple of Ikes I saved out of circulation in 1972.
The top two pictures are two different Ikes (obverse and reverse); nothing really special, but both have nice cartwheels and have developed
a bit of not-unattractive toning (sorry about the poor images):

image

image

Now, back in 1972 I needed someplace to store these, so I took a couple of plastic cases that held some of my high school track medals
and put the Ikes in them. Please note: These cases had foam inserts. Fast forward thirty-some years, when I started getting into collecting
again, I pulled out all of the old junk I’d saved from circulation over the years (during the 1960’s-1970’s, mostly). Lo and behold,
when I pulled my Ikes out of the cases, this was the result. These are the opposite sides of these same two Ikes:

image

image

image

The foam had deteriorated and produced these surfaces. Luckily, this was a pretty inexpensive lesson to learn. It could have been a lot worse;
if I’d had a nice, old classic silver coin (I didn’t), I probably would have stored it in one of these cases with the foam insert. Now, of course,
I store all my coins in 2 x 2’s or certified plastic.

Anyone else have any horror stories to share?

Cartwheel

Edited to say I just noticed the PVC damage, too.

Comments

  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 38,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try an Acetone "bath"

    "Money does not care about speeches on morality. Capital asks whether the rules will remain the same tomorrow. With inflation, people assume price is the problem, and propose regulation—but price is simply the message." - Martin Armstrong

  • Options
    Yeah they stink but I have seen worse in slabs.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    About seven years ago when I was 15-16 years old I purchased $400 in AU/uncirculated silver coins from a TV show that was on. I wish I knew then that I was getting ripped off at the time.

    Funny enough, I've rolled all of the coins or put them in books/holders to see how then tone and my 60$ or so in face-value silver is now worth more than I spent. image.

    -D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

    -Aristotle

    Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

    -Horace
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is that vomit icon when needed.... too bad about those Ikes, but an acetone bath (changed frequently) will clean them up. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Improper storage? Hmmm. I put some coins in 2x2s into a leather frame. The leather started toning them rather quickly. Not attractive.

    Next, I bought some low cost coins from dealers and they were in the soft flips. What did I know? If dealers used them, they must be okay. Then I hear all the fuss about PVC. Too late for many of them.
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a nice copper Hawaii statehood medal that the same thing happened to. It was stored in a box with some foam type stuff and when I opened it a couple of years ago after a couple decades in the box the foam had destroyed the item to the point it was illegible. Too bad but also not an expensive lesson for me.

    K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The foam most likely held moisture from humidity prior to deteriorating.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I had some plastic boxes like that back in the 1970's. Used them for small
    electronics parts and minerals, but not for coins. But not because I knew
    any better. It's only the grace of God that kept my coins from looking like
    that.

    The rest of my family thinks it's a great idea to store the odd coin in a
    zip lock or sandwich bag. image

    Mark
    The Secret Of Success Law:
    Discover all unpredictable errors before they occur.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file