Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

MSA Discs

2»

Comments

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@celticboyshow said:
    I found these recently, all FBI with no MSA date. Includes Nolan Ryan, Rick Bosetti, Reggie J

ackson and more

I sent you a PM.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

That post/discovery will excite a lot of player collectors!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    1963ellsworth22and101963ellsworth22and10 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2020 9:28PM

Those are from the incredibly rare 1981 FBI set. Seven of them are uncatalogued, Bob Bailor, Bill Lee, Dave Parker, Larry Parrish, Steve Rogers, Elias Sosa, and Dave Winfield. The ones documented that you don't have are Bruce Bochte, George Brett, Jim Clancy, Larry Hisle, Dave Kingman, Jim Palmer, and Gary Templeton, and just now Ellis Valentine.

• Options

@1963ellsworth22and10 said:
    Those are from the incredibly rare 1981 FBI set. Seven of them are uncatalogued, Bob Bailor, Bill Lee, Dave Parker, Larry Parrish, Steve Rogers, Elias Sosa, and Dave Winfield. The ones documented that you don't have are Bruce Bochte, George Brett, Jim Clancy, Steve Garvey, Larry Hisle, Dave Kingman, Jim Palmer, and Gary Templeton.

Not sure this type of set gets much attention in the guides any more. I have had the Sosa for a while and just picked up an Ellis Valentine not 2 weeks ago. He doesn't seem to be listed either. I may have a couple others, but they might be 82s. I also have both the Garvey discs.

• Options
    1963ellsworth22and101963ellsworth22and10 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2020 8:59PM

@mrmopar said:

@1963ellsworth22and10 said:
    Those are from the incredibly rare 1981 FBI set. Seven of them are uncatalogued, Bob Bailor, Bill Lee, Dave Parker, Larry Parrish, Steve Rogers, Elias Sosa, and Dave Winfield. The ones documented that you don't have are Bruce Bochte, George Brett, Jim Clancy, Steve Garvey, Larry Hisle, Dave Kingman, Jim Palmer, and Gary Templeton.

Not sure this type of set gets much attention in the guides any more. I have had the Sosa for a while and just picked up an Ellis Valentine not 2 weeks ago. He doesn't seem to be listed either. I may have a couple others, but they might be 82s. I also have both the Garvey discs.

An Ellis Valentine would make sense, he played for Montreal and there needs to be an even number of these because there were two to a box. I will edit my comments to include the Valentine.

• Options

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

It's too bad Bob Lemke is no longer with us. I remember he was excited when the 1981 FBI set was discovered in this thread.

https://boblemke.blogspot.com/2010/09/1981-fbi-discs-set-discovered.html

• Options

It would be nice to know a little more about the product and issue. For example, Hostess cards of just a few years earlier and Drakes, a few years later in the US, were apparently quite popular and plentiful when it comes to the box issued cards now. These were sugary snacks vs drinks, but still a very similar distribution.

I have to assume that the bantam drink company was either small time (compared to Hostess), less popular, or both. Another theory is that this was more of a test issue, perhaps in limited areas to see how they would be welcomed. I don't know if the FB discs came after, as I don't know the teams/players. I suppose it would be easy enough to look up though.
    Maybe the Canadians didn't save stuff like this as often as their American counterparts either. I have definitely seen more of the CFL discs offered for sale than ther baseball discs, which is not surprising. I wonder why no hockey?

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I recently got my Steve Garvey MSA Cup Lid graded by PSA. I was happy to see that they grade these because they're hard to store ungraded.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rbsalezman said:

I recently got my Steve Garvey MSA Cup Lid graded by PSA. I was happy to see that they grade these because they're hard to store ungraded.

That's great to know. I had mine graded by Beckett because PSA wouldn't grade them back then. Sounds like I need to bust mine out and send to PSA.

• Options
    Collector_ConnectionCollector_Connection Posts: 1
    edited January 13, 2024 8:58PM

We actually have a couple of Sagas, a drink lid and an FBI panel in our upcoming auction. thecollectorconnection.com