Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A good friend passes - Brad Swain

I received this on my I-phone when I woke up this morning:

Dan:

It is with deep regret that I tell you Brad has passed away....would you please post this for me....I don't know how. I am his fiancee LeeAnn. He loved coins, helping people with the hobby, buying and selling....he gave so much to the entire world. We will greatly miss him.
Kind Regards,
LeeAnn Smith

danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So very sad. He had liver cancer. He was one of the most knowledgeable guys around. He will be missed.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    My sympathies also extend to LeeAnn. What a sad and premature loss.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sad. As I recall from the forum thread, he knew it was coming yet was quite couragious dealing with his situation- Thread
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    A good friend of the forum will be missed.image
  • Options
    My condolences

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    This is a terribly sad day for all Darksiders; we have lost a long-time and very knowledgeable friend. My prayers are with his family.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    A very great loss his family, his fiancee and the members of this forum. image
    Roy

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I am very sorry to hear about Brad passing. Although I didn't know him personally I had spoken to him several times on Collectors Universe forums. He was a true gent who went out of his way to help others with the hobby.

Although I knew he was suffering from cancer and unwell this news still has came as a shock to me.

My thoughts and prayers are with him, his family and friends.

• Options
    May he Rest in Peace

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a shame. I'm so sorry to hear of this.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    My best wishes to his family and friends.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    R.I.P. Brad. The world loses another good one.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Rest in Peace, Brad - we will all miss you.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭
    Our sympathies and prayers for LeeAnn and Brad's family.

Too many here lately, and far too soon. image

I'll always remember Brad nailing the ID of that Netherlands dime in my contest ........... in about 5 milliseconds.

Brad was a true Darkside Original™.
  • Options
    That is very sad, I wish his fiancee well.
    I mean no disrespect, but there is a chuckle in the initial post thread. Check out OchoReales post responding to Brad's initial post about his illness. Commiserates with him, says he has lung cancer, then asks if he has any coins. A true collector.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    As well as posting on this forum Brad has helped a lot of people out with coin collecting on AllExperts.com:

http://www.allexperts.com/ep/2297-21130/Coin-Collecting/Brad-Swain.htm
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Giant in the areas of collecting that matter most- Character and Knowledge-

He will be missed by all those whom he helped and shared his knowledge with-such contributions speak volumes for the collector has was and the collector we should all aspire to be-

My sincere sympathy to Brad's family

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>That is very sad, I wish his fiancee well.
    I mean no disrespect, but there is a chuckle in the initial post thread. Check out OchoReales post responding to Brad's initial post about his illness. Commiserates with him, says he has lung cancer, then asks if he has any coins. A true collector. >>

Actually, I was responding to Brad's decision to sell his collection, hoping to possibly help ( if he had something that fit my collecting parameters). I hope no offense was taken by any on the Forum as I certainly was not looking to solicit a dying Forumite. My condolensces Brad's family and fiancee as well image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • Options
    A very classy guy. I was greatly impressed with the way he handled his situation and
    his communications here.

Our condolences to his family and friends; the world needs more Brads, not fewer....
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.
  • Options
    mnemtsas2mnemtsas2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    A loss for his family, my sympathies to them and he'll be sadly missed on the forum.
    Successful trades with Syracusian, DeiGratia, LordM, WWW, theboz11, CCC2010, Hyperion, ajaan, wybrit, Dennis88 and many others.
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Great guy. He bought some modern Philippine bank rolls from me back in 2006. He'll be missed.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Rest in peace Brad. Your contributions to the forum and the hobby will be missed.
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    My sympathies and prayers for LeeAnn and Brad's family. Brad knowledge and friendship will be greatly missed around here. image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    rest in peace, Brad. you will be missed.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Rest in peace Brad...we'll miss you.

Sympathies to his family and friends.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    R.I.P. and my condolences to the family..
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Brad was a true Darkside Original™.

I'll second that.

A very classy guy. I was greatly impressed with the way he handled his situation and
    his communications here.

I'll second that too. I've read pretty much all of Brad's recent posts referring to his condition, and I was impressed by the humour and the class he could find, in these moments. There was much more than numismatic knowledge that set him apart.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    rest in peace, Brad.

Concolences to the family and friends!

imageimage
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    My condolences to the family.
    Brad's knowledge and friendly attitude will be deeply missed.
    Jim
  • Options
    Sad day indeed! My heart goes out to LeeAnn and all the others who knew and loved Brad.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I remember most about Brad Swain:

He was the quickest coin ID on the boards. Somebody could post a "what's this coin?" thread, and he'd nail it, within mere minutes of it being posted. Oftentimes I'd type up a reply to one of these threads, and by the my answer posted, Brad had already done the full ID. I used to have this mental image of him in Western gunslinger attire, with Krause catalogs holstered on each hip.

Yep, ol' Brad was Quick Draw McGraw when it came to coin ID.

Wayne/"newbiecollector" was probably my closest forum buddy amongst those who've passed on, but I'll keenly miss Brad, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I'll miss you Brad!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    RIP Brad and my condolances to your family.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry to hear of Brad's passing but I hope that now he can find some rest.
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    RIP. My condolences to the family.
  • Options
    RIP Brad you'll be missed
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What I remember most about Brad Swain:

He was the quickest coin ID on the boards. Somebody could post a "what's this coin?" thread, and he'd nail it, within mere minutes of it being posted. Oftentimes I'd type up a reply to one of these threads, and by the my answer posted, Brad had already done the full ID. I used to have this mental image of him in Western gunslinger attire, with Krause catalogs holstered on each hip.

Yep, ol' Brad was Quick Draw McGraw when it came to coin ID.

Wayne/"newbiecollector" was probably my closest forum buddy amongst those who've passed on, but I'll keenly miss Brad, too.

image >>

I always thought I was pretty good at ID'ing but I rarely even try here since
    there are several far better than I and Brad was among the best and the fastest.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Yes, Brad beat me most of the time with Asian coins. He seemed to catch everything, no matter where it was from.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrible news--I've not been on the boards and didn't realize he was sick! He was a huge asset to the boards and the hobby and will be missed. My condolences to his family....

Cathy