Home U.S. Coin Forum

NEWP ... Shield Nickel with obverse die cracks

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
So it was on eBay from a pretty well known seller ending last weekend, and I watched it all week, thinking if it didn't go crazy I would bid it. I have a raw one of this date that has great date doubling, but is not as crisp or strong. This one is certified, and pretty nice for the grade IMO ... both in hand, and from the sellers pictures (his may be better than mine). I also wanted one in PCGS plastic if it was nice for my modest set of these.

As the end drew near I was really surprised that it wasn't garnering much attention (well, I know, it IS a Shield Nickel after all image). But still ... and with the wonderful obverse cracks (retained cud?) ... I figured it'd get at least some modest attention.

What to bid? I had a number in my head ... added a few dollars, just in case ... and got ready for the 2 second power snipe. image

As it looked with a few minutes left I would easily win, but I know how sniping goes. I checked my number again. No, I had a good number. I would be in the hunt.

When I went to type in the number, something in my head told me to bid a different number (which was only 1.23 higher). Thankfully I listened to voice in my head.

The first number, I would have lost the chance to own her by exactly .45. As it was I won by a whopping .78

WooHoo!

Now it has arrived.

WooHoo! again. image

I'm digging this one ... sorry the picture sucks so bad

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree on the retained CUD on the upper obverse ... there are also a lot of other cracks

lots of character image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I like that coin!! I started Shield nickels business strikes due to all the cool overdates, DDO's etc's a few months back. Heritage had some cool ones a few months back but my STRONG bids did not turn out strong enough.

On a side note, nothing is worse than sniping with a dollar amount that is not a correct increment and losing the item even though you actually had a higher amound to snipe.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Nice coin and a good story to go with it. It pays to listen to little voices in your head, I guess.
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CUD not die crack(s). >>

Right on!

I have never seen a Shield with a die crack in my whole life! image
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>CUD not die crack(s). >>

How the heck did you miss that?
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice pickup!

<< <i>I have never seen a Shield with a die crack in my whole life! >>

Good one! Are there any biz strike shield nickels that DON'T have die cracks?
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments all image

It is a retained CUD IMO, although when I bid it, I wasn't exactly sure.

The amazing thing about this coin, IMO is that it is very well struck (pretty much throughout) and the details are outstanding (IMO) for one with this many cracks (I counted at least 12 segments, depending on how I counted)

I wrote this in response to a PM last night ... thought I'd share it here as I think what I said and the title of the thread may have been misunderstood;

Multiple die cracks in several place, the ones from from K 11 to K 1 being the most prominent and creating a retained CUD situation, obvious from the rim seperation at K 11 ... and in hand even more noticable from the raised field directly above G on "GOD".

It was not as notibale when I bid, although the cracks were certainly showing in the sellers picture.

It also has a hammered strike! image

Anyway, thanks again! ... and if anyone was wondering, it's in a PCGS AU55 holder. image

Todd - BHNC #242
  • YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    Beautiful coin and congrats on the win! I think nickels are becoming my favorite denomination.
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Nice to get one when you really want it. Cool coin with lots of character.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice cud and nice pick up as well image
  • howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I like that coin!! I started Shield nickels business strikes due to all the cool overdates, DDO's etc's a few months back. >>

You may be interested in my website (listed below) and/or the Yahoo Shield Nickels discussion group that I moderate.

Yahoo Shield Nickels

Howard

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file