Home U.S. Coin Forum

Scary, Ebay seller selling decent fake PCGS coins, MS63 1916-D Merc

2»

Comments

• He sounds sincere & it's probably a sad tale that has been & (unfortunately) will probably continue to be repeated frequently.

He's still gonna have to make the buyers of the counterfeits whole though.
  • deviousdevious Posts: 1,690
    I read his response as sincere. And wow, that really bites the dust.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me how to the morgan dollar is a fake? What were the red flags? This just makes me more and more weary of buying any coins even slabbed ones.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    I'm afraid that this problem will get much, much worse.

And for every example that any of us become aware of, I imagine there are a great many others that we never hear about. How many collectors and dealers have bought counterfeit coins in counterfeit holders and have no idea? And usually, by the time they do find out, it will be too late to do anything about it.

It's been mentioned before, but it seems that the best defense (not cure) is excellent on-line images of each coin that is graded, and a very easy way for anyone and everyone to access them. Nothing will prevent counterfeiting or the purchase of counterfeits by those who don't know better and/or wont take the time to find out if the coins are genuine.

Human nature is such that there will always be buyers who will throw a little bit or a lot of caution to the wind, at the prospect of a good or great deal. And there will be plenty of sellers to take advantage of them.
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I think eagleeye and coinguy should start a new company that stickers the words "REAL" on slabs just so we can be sure that a coin is real. Even a slabbed coin is not safe.
    I'm surprised someone hasn't thought of this!

I don't care about a CAC sticker, I just want to know that a coin is real when I am buying it. I don't want to walk into every coin store and in the back of my head I am wondering: "Is this coin real or could it be a really good fake?"
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Let's see if I have this straight:

Based on a posting on Craig's List, you talk to a stranger (who calls you with a Florida phone, but just so happens to be near where you live). So, you meet him at a Starbucks, and pay cash for a 1909-S VDB Lincoln.

WTF! imageimage
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>Let's see if I have this straight:

Based on a posting on Craig's List, you talk to a stranger (who calls you with a Florida phone, but just so happens to be near where you live). So, you meet him at a Starbucks, and pay cash for a 1909-S VDB Lincoln.

WTF! imageimage >>

The purchaser has been buying coins from strangers for a while. Most deals were probably mostly low cost common items. In this case, the deal was probably priced real low, the cert #'s checked out online, and he had no idea that there were such high quality fake slabs out there. I'm sure more than a few part-time dealers, and many collectors would have been taken in by the same fakes. I'm sure more than a few collectors have fake slabs already in their collections bought online at "bargain" BIN pricing, but just don't know it yet.

Be careful out there. Personally, I'm leaning towards ending all online purchases of expensive coins from unknown sellers, domestic or foreign. All coins over a certain dollar value, all denominations, raw or slabbed. For the raw coins, the value bar is set much lower as "they" are also churning out fake common raw material, such as foreign minor coins that can be sold for a few bucks and cost five cents to make. That may seem drastic to some, but it seems prudent to me, given the explosion in the reports of these fakes. The folks supplying this Burlingame seller may have already unloaded a truck load of high quality fake slabs into various channels. Many may have real coins but in a higher grade holder, or a problem coin, in a no-problem fake holder.
    I heard that a couple of dealers at the Boston ANA show unknowingly bought counterfeit coins in counterfeit holders.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone tell me how to the morgan dollar is a fake? What were the red flags?

It's the "smell test" 1884-S Dollars have a certian look, usually heavilly scuffed, but not anthing like the coin imaged.

This is another 1884-S fake, not the same, as the one in the auction, I believe.

Super Fake 1884-S
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Very informative and scary information. Hats off to the gentlemen on this thread talented enough to identify problem coins and fake slabs. I used to buy slabbed coins from Ebay, but due to issues such as noted in this thread, I have almost stopped buying any slabbed coins greater than a few hundred dollars from Ebay, or anyone else. I do not have the time, talent or inclination to obtain the level of expertise necessary to identify well made counterfeit coins or coins in a lower grade placed in a fake slab. As Clint Eastwood once said, A man’s got to know his limitations. Unfortunately, the ongoing issues with counterfeit TPG slabs does not bode well for collectors who hope to profit someday from their coins.
  • Thanks to all who've posted and investigated. I want a placeholder in this thread.

<< <i>MS-65FH?

imageimage >>

Yes, apparently so. The Ebay seller told me it had come from Heritage, so I did a search and found this. It looks like the same coin to me. And as I had said previously, I wasn't prepared to indict the seller's coin, based on his images.

This serves as a good illustration of how difficult it is to avoid being biased against a seller and his (other) coins, when you think or know he has sold counterfeits.
  • ...It's been mentioned before, but it seems that the best defense (not cure) is excellent on-line images of each coin that is graded, and a very easy way for anyone and everyone to access them..."

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Add to that something akin to facial recognition software that gave you a probability of a match between the images of the slab in question & the one in the database (recognizing that something in the high 90's (%) would probably be acceptable to due the probable differences in the imaging quality/techniques & any possible natural/environmental changes to the coin &/or the slab (toning, scuffs, post slabbing stickers/sticker residue, etc.)

fwiw (from Heritage) on the 17-D:

Great! I'm glad they are not all fake.

I was thinking about a doctored coin thread where the coin posse was saying some guy named Mark was a coin doctor. I stood up for him and defended him (he being a Chaplain and a war veteran and all) and by doing so I was accused of defending a coin doctor. We'll during the ANA preshow I had an opportunity to mention it to Mark and asked him if he was in fact a coin doctor. He said it is against his ethics and his strong adherence to doing right in this world to commit fraud by doctoring a coin. It turns out that just because he regularly shared a table with a known coin doctor (Nick) that he was accused by association. The fact is he is not a coin doctor.

BTW where are the "lets out the coin doctor" crowd now that we have someone caught selling counterfeits to the tune of $10K, a criminal offense! Nowhere on this thread.

Innocent until proven guilty! Why does someone caught red-handed get the "Oh he's OK, he just didn't know better" treatment, while a coin doctoring accusation from an anonymous poster gets a "He's guilty, I truly believe it" form others here when there was no proof and in fact the accuser was wrong.

<< <i>Great! I'm glad they are not all fake.

I was thinking about a doctored coin thread where the coin posse was saying some guy named Mark was a coin doctor. I stood up for him and defended him (he being a Chaplain and a war veteran and all) and by doing so I was accused of defending a coin doctor. We'll during the ANA preshow I had an opportunity to mention it to Mark and asked him if he was in fact a coin doctor. He said it is against his ethics and his strong adherence to doing right in this world to commit fraud by doctoring a coin. It turns out that just because he regularly shared a table with a known coin doctor (Nick) that he was accused by association. The fact is he is not a coin doctor.

BTW where are the "lets out the coin doctor" crowd now that we have someone caught selling counterfeits to the tune of $10K, a criminal offense! Nowhere on this thread.

Innocent until proven guilty! Why does someone caught red-handed get the "Oh he's OK, he just didn't know better" treatment, while a coin doctoring accusation from an anonymous poster gets a "He's guilty, I truly believe it" form others here when there was no proof and in fact the accuser was wrong. >>

It looks quite possible, if not probable, that this seller did not not know he was selling any counterfeits. That is a far cry from someone who deliberately doctors coins. So, at this point, I'm glad that the crowd didn't go overboard in their protestations and accusations against him.

• << <i>Great! I'm glad they are not all fake.

Innocent until proven guilty! Why does someone caught red-handed get the "Oh he's OK, he just didn't know better" treatment, while a coin doctoring accusation from an anonymous poster gets a "He's guilty, I truly believe it" form others here when there was no proof and in fact the accuser was wrong. >>

My recent intentions were to not say anymore and just observe for another few years, but your above post needs to be answered because you are wrong.
    You asked Mark if he was a coin doctor and he said no. What else would you expect him to say? Prisons are full of criminals that claim they were framed!
    He shares/shared a table with known Dr Nick Ciancio because they both doctor coins. That is the fact! I was not wrong and I HAVE SEEN him do it personally. He likes/liked to use nose grease a lot. I was not wrong about Dr Nick nor am I wrong about Mark. And don't forget about their other little friend Barry.

No offense, but before you make the claim that someone is flat out wrong you need to do a little more research. Being a Chaplain and a war Vet are no defense to what Mark is/was doing with coins. How many men of the cloth in the Catholic church have been proven to be criminals?? How many war Vets that have come home are in prison now?? The numbers might stagger you.

I am anonymous here because I want to be. My choice. You have met me. If I disclosed who I was to you, you would believe me. I will not do so because I don't need the repercussions, nor am I sure anyone here would keep my identity confidential.

Yes, you are all right! and, I am too. The key is Innocent until Proven guilty! Whether it is your definition, my definition or as defined by law. You have every right to make a claim. So do I. Don't fault me for following up on a charge, either. Trying find fact to substantiate the accusation. Don't fault me for being a bit aggressive against someone selling counterfeits either, which is illegal. You have your take, I have mine, the law has its own too.

BTW, even if Mark was a coin doctor back when you say he was, I think he no longer is, especially after what I told him what was being said about him, which is a good thing.
  • Man its fake I hate fake and let call FBI

• << <i>Yes, you are all right! and, I am too. The key is Innocent until Proven guilty! Whether it is your definition, my definition or as defined by law. You have every right to make a claim. So do I. Don't fault me for following up on a charge, either. Trying find fact to substantiate the accusation. Don't fault me for being a bit aggressive against someone selling counterfeits either, which is illegal. You have your take, I have mine, the law has its own too.

BTW, even if Mark was a coin doctor back when you say he was, I think he no longer is, especially after what I told him what was being said about him, which is a good thing. >>

Not trying to fault you at all Mr. Snow. Every accused has the right to a defense attorney. If you chose to be Mark's, that is your prerogative. Our difference is I know the facts and you only know what Mark told you. Being aggressive is what needs to be done in this field. I'm glad you are. Please keep doing so.

I hope you are correct about Mark no longer being a coin Dr., but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

Let's just say that we agree to disagree......for now.
    Here are additional images from the seller, of coins he has recently purchased off of Craig's List. I do not think thety were all from the same seller. Opinions are welcomed:

• BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Still, lousy pics. Counterfeit camera?
  • Exposer,

Why are you persisting in attacking Mark?

Hijacking/derailing this thread aside, unsubstantiated allegations and guilt by association inferences are somewhat unfair & bad form IMHO.

Granted (hypothetically - as I have NO first hand knowledge one way or the other) that the majority of people would agree that a dealer not wanting to be known as a coin doctor would be wise to not share a table with a known coin doctor (if in fact that was the case).
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    This is going to be the death of the hobby if it can not be quarantined and fakes can not be identified by more advanced collectors and dealers. Sometimes makes me think I should sell all my coins before they become almost worthless.
  • giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is going to be the death of the hobby if it can not be quarantined and fakes can not be identified by more advanced collectors and dealers. Sometimes makes me think I should sell all my coins before they become almost worthless. >>

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark (coinguy1 not the alleged coin doctor):

The photographs you got from the seller are lousy. (Though still better than I can do.) Taking that into account, do any of these coins arouse your suspicion? In other words, if these coins were offered to you at a show, are there any that you would condemn immediately?

Thanks

Mark (also not the alleged coin doctor)
    Mark

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<This is going to be the death of the hobby if it can not be quarantined and fakes can not be identified by more advanced collectors and dealers. Sometimes makes me think I should sell all my coins before they become almost worthless.>>

Couldn't agree more. Seems every day there is a new fake themed thread here.
    Currenlty there are two on the first page.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Death of the hobby? Not a chance. What this situation may do is actually force collectors (and perhaps even dealers) to learn about the coins they wish to purchase as opposed to just relying (often quite blindly) on third-party grading services.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    Does anyone else have opinions on the authenticity (or lack thereof) of the additional slabs and coins I posted images of?
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going with fake slabs

I noticed you do not see the tops, or edges of the slabs
    and
    I seem to recall that the fakes have the
    raised areas much futher from the edges.

link
    LCoopie = Les
  • ecichlidecichlid Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭
    coinguy1 said"...It's been mentioned before, but it seems that the best defense (not cure) is excellent on-line images of each coin that is graded, and a very easy way for anyone and everyone to access them...."

I have been saying this for some time now. When the fake slabs are done even better and exist in large quantities in the market, people will lose confidence in them.
    There is no "AT" or "NT". We only have "market acceptable" or "not market acceptable.
    Please consider posting any thoughts or suggestions on how to combat the counterfeiting problem here: Centralized Thread for Suggestions to PCGS on Combating Counterfeiting Problem Thank you!
  • 100% bad. After studying the photos for a few I see something all of the slabs have in common. Something that most pcgs slabs dont have. Dont post guesses please. The idiots who make these troll these boards. PM me with YOUR guess. I'll answer yes or no. Dont ask me to pm the answer to you.

Update. The coin info link from the poster a couple spots above shows what I spotted. Wasnt aware of that info.

<< <i>100% bad. After studying the photos for a few I see something all of the slabs have in common. Something that most pcgs slabs dont have. Dont post guesses please. The idiots who make these troll these boards. PM me with YOUR guess. I'll answer yes or no. Dont ask me to pm the answer to you. >>

I would be very surprised if all of those coins are counterfeit and can understand your reason for not wanting to post the slab information publicly. But, not being willing to at least PM it to forum members, sure sounds other than helpful.

• << <i>

<< <i>100% bad. After studying the photos for a few I see something all of the slabs have in common. Something that most pcgs slabs dont have. Dont post guesses please. The idiots who make these troll these boards. PM me with YOUR guess. I'll answer yes or no. Dont ask me to pm the answer to you. >>

I would be very surprised if all of those coins are counterfeit and can understand your reason for not wanting to post the slab information publicly. But, not being willing to at least PM it to forum members, sure sounds other than helpful. >>

http://coins.about.com/od/coingrading/ig/Fake-PCGS-Slab-Diagnostics/PCGS-Fake-Slab-Diagnostics.htm

He still caught 2 of the diagnostics for the fake slabs in his photos. Near the top edges of the slab. Since its public knowledge it doesnt matter. Didnt edit far enough I guess. The edges of the slabs all have what appear to be 2 cut marks near the top all at the same spot. Corresponds with the spots showed on the coinsabout site.

<< <i>

<< <i>

I would be very surprised if all of those coins are counterfeit and can understand your reason for not wanting to post the slab information publicly. But, not being willing to at least PM it to forum members, sure sounds other than helpful. >>

http://coins.about.com/od/coingrading/ig/Fake-PCGS-Slab-Diagnostics/PCGS-Fake-Slab-Diagnostics.htm

He still caught 2 of the diagnostics for the fake slabs in his photos. Near the top edges of the slab. Since its public knowledge it doesnt matter. Didnt edit far enough I guess. The edges of the slabs all have what appear to be 2 cut marks near the top all at the same spot. Corresponds with the spots showed on the coinsabout site. >>

So you know, it's highly unlikely that the seller tried to edit the images to hide anything. It appears that he was the victim of a scam, as were one or more others I have been in contact with.
  • It seems to be a common theme for people to list these fake coins, in fake PCGS slabbed coins in bulk on Craigslist at "Huge" discounts. Thanks for everybody's hard work in identifying these fakes and trying to keep them out of the market. As these fakes get much harder to detect I fear that soon we will be flooded with them as they start to fool more people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file