Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Numismatic Quiz: What coin was called a “Washington” when first issued?

dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭
No hints!

Denga

Comments

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Obviously, the Washington quarter, but since that sounds way too easy, I am going to venture either the Silver Dollar of 1794 or Gold Eagle of 1795. Don't laugh, please!
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    wild guess: Lafayette Dollar, 1900

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    No correct answer yet.

Denga
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    half disme?
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    The large cent.
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    i going to guess a dime, because it was the first coin made.
  • Options
    The Georgivs Triumpho copper of 1783?
  • Options
    Wait, you said "when first issued== Washington cents 1791-1793
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Still no correct answer. If no right answer by tomorrow afternoon the date
    and denomination will be posted.

Denga
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    The 1982 Washington Commemorative?

Just guessing here.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    The $4 stella?
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    Ike dollar
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clueless in Chicago.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Twenty Cent piece.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it the undated "Double Head" Washington cents, circa 1815-1820? (Baker 6)

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is QDB when you need him??

It was the Booker T. Washington half dollar
    Doug
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eunice Shriver commem, because only in a place like Washington could such a monstrosity be dreamt up.
  • Options
    Now that I think about it, 1951 Carver comm half???
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Washington-Carver Comm. as it first was called.
  • Options
    Half-eagle? It is about the size and value of a Napolean (altho Washington came first). Maybe I should have compared it to a Britsh soverign or a French Louis d'or.
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    I'm gonna say the Jefferson Nickel...its those damn wigs image
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    The 1982 washington commems?
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to guess that it was something that predated the Washington quarter...when that came out in 32, it kind of got the name Washington secured, didn't it?

I am going to guess it was an early bust dollar. I seem to recall reading that it was claimed the lady on it was patterned after Martha Washington.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Booker T. Washington commem?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Clueless in [an undisclosed location in Connecticut]

I await the answer.... image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Several newspapers carried a small item in mid March 1850. The following, from the
    Weekly Eagle (a Vermont newspaper) of March 18 is typical:

New gold $20 pieces, or double eagles, have recently been coined at the U.S. Mint.
    They are called "Washingtons."

The name does not seem to make any particular sense. Perhaps a forum member can
    think of why it was used.

Denga

• Options
    You learn something new every day.
    I wonder if it was just somebody trying to start a nickname that never caught on.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Here is a guess: The newspaper is from Vermont. Is it possible that there was not much support in the Northeast for $20 gold coins, and the "Washingtons" name was a negative comment on the government's minting of such coins when there was no perceived use? It is just a guess and maybe I am being cynical and too political. I would be delighted to get Denga's comments on this theory, or perhaps board member DaveG can comment as well. [or maybe the idea is so kooky that it does not warrant a response. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Longacre August 20, 2010

Here is a guess: The newspaper is from Vermont. Is it possible that there was not much support in the Northeast for $20 gold coins, and the "Washingtons" name was a negative comment on the government's minting of such coins when there was no perceived use? It is just a guess and maybe I am being cynical and too political. I would be delighted to get Denga's comments on this theory, or perhaps board member DaveG can comment as well. [or maybe the idea is so kooky that it does not warrant a response.

I do not know the answer but the suggestion that this is a negative name is quite possible. In those
    days, however, newspapers copied from one another for news items so it is not clear if the name was
    regional or not.

Denga
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Thanx, Bob.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's interesting. I would never have guessed.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1792 Silver Washington Half Dollar by Getz

edited to add....
    I guessed before I read the responses.
    Thanks denga.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    [or maybe the idea is so kooky that it does not warrant a response.]

That's a pretty good guess, Longy! image

Actually, I doubt that calling the double eagle a "Washington" was meant in any derogatory way. President Washington was still held in sufficient regard in 1850 that I'd suggest the nick-name for the coin was meant as an honorific. Also, gold was sufficiently uncommon in commerce that it was viewed respectfully.

I guess a modern comparison would be someone offering to pay for his lunch in cash instead of with a debit or charge card. What merchant would make a snide comment about that today?

In any event, to return to the Quiz - I hadn't heard the nick-name before either!

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    Generally speaking, newspaper accounts of numismatic issues have been far removed from reality.

In this case, along with countless other examples, there is no specific reference to anyone who has called the new double eagles anything, and the writer of the "article" apparently does not cite any sources.

The tag line, "They are called "Washington's" makes for interesting reading perhaps, but basically only mentions the new double eagles that have been coined. Therefore, in this brief context presented by Denga, the newspaper article is flawed, as evidenced by the fact that there is no other reference in numismatic literature to support the claim presented.

IMO, don't believe all that you read, especially concerning American numismatics, unless it is supported by facts and source documents.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm, no clue....

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Generally speaking, newspaper accounts of numismatic issues have been far removed from reality. >>

I guess some things never change.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    reviving this thread to add something i ran across in a January 1969 Numismatic Scrapbook:

p. 94 (article: Popular Quarter Outlives 20-Cent Coin) in a letter dated June 13, 1876 from Samuel Longfellow to James Pollock:

'It occurs to me that gold begins again to be coined, the "double eagle" might well have the head of Washington stamped upon it and be called his name......'

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting.... I am surprised that RWB has not found something regarding this subject. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    There is no relation to the two Washington citations of 1850 and 1876. The Samuel Longfellow letter, from Cambridge, Massachusetts, was based on an idea that he had to name the new 20 cent coins "Franklin's" if the Mint struck coins with the head of Franklin. He figured the head of Franklin would help distinguish the coin from the quarter dollar (probably a correct assumption) and that if it were shortened to Frank, "would bring the coin into relation with the French franc which it so closely resembles in value".

The reference to words, "that gold begins again to be coined" most likely refers to the changeover on the reverse lettering that was being proposed for the following year; as there was never a break in the double eagle coinage. Longfellow closes with the paragraph, "It occurs to me that gold begins again to be coined, the "doulble eagle" might well have the head of Washington stamped upon it and be called his name...".

There was strong opposition to the designs of the new 20 cent pieces, as they were often mistaken for quarters.

Both of these "Washington" references to double eagles are wishful thinking by others who were not involved with the United States Mint or the federal government.

Nice find Savoyspecial!
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    i was able to find this reference in another source, Adams & Woodin's United States Pattern, Trial and Experimental Pieces (1913)

p. 21 (in the 1940 reprint edition)

under the section of 1849 Unique Double Eagle:

At the time of the issue of the coin it was suggested that it be called "Washington." While this title was not officially given, nevertheless contemporary publications, such as Niles Register, referred to it as a "Washington."

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>There is no relation to the two Washington citations of 1850 and 1876. The Samuel Longfellow letter, from Cambridge, Massachusetts, was based on an idea that he had to name the new 20 cent coins "Franklin's" if the Mint struck coins with the head of Franklin. He figured the head of Franklin would help distinguish the coin from the quarter dollar (probably a correct assumption) and that if it were shortened to Frank, "would bring the coin into relation with the French franc which it so closely resembles in value".

The reference to words, "that gold begins again to be coined" most likely refers to the changeover on the reverse lettering that was being proposed for the following year; as there was never a break in the double eagle coinage. Longfellow closes with the paragraph, "It occurs to me that gold begins again to be coined, the "doulble eagle" might well have the head of Washington stamped upon it and be called his name...".

There was strong opposition to the designs of the new 20 cent pieces, as they were often mistaken for quarters.

Both of these "Washington" references to double eagles are wishful thinking by others who were not involved with the United States Mint or the federal government.

Nice find Savoyspecial! >>

I suspect that the "It occurs to me that gold begins again to be coined" reference might refer to the imminent resumption of specie payments, when gold would once again circulate at face value. It had indeed been coined all along, but had not circulated outside of the West.
    TD
  • Options
    savoyspecial November 22, 2010

i was able to find this reference in another source, Adams & Woodin's United States Pattern, Trial and Experimental Pieces (1913) p. 21 (in the 1940 reprint edition) under the section of 1849 Unique Double Eagle:

At the time of the issue of the coin it was suggested that it be called "Washington." While this title was not officially given, nevertheless contemporary publications, such as Niles Register, referred to it as a "Washington."

greg

An interesting discovery. Thanks for posting this information.

Denga

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file