Home Metal Detecting
Options

Good article on a civil war site...

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
It makes some references to metal detectorists...

All in all, it tends to paint detectorists as looters, and, with a site as historic as Camp Lawton, I have to agree. Hopefully we can all respect and recognize when a find is of enough of a historical nature to turn it over to archeologists, especially if it's on public land. It's pretty depressing to think about how many relics were swiped from the notorious Camp Anderson-- now those relics may be lost again to private collectors.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read the article, and I fail to see the direct references to MD'rs. Yes, looters and relic hunters, those who market relics, were referenced. MD'rs are not painted with the broad brush specifically. It is absolutely true that many MD'rs in the south find, and keep, old bullets etc from the civil war. I do not know of any 'mass lootings' by metal detectorists - those who are hobbyists, that belong to clubs and frequent this and other forums. Cheers, RickO