Home Sports Talk
Options

If Jim Thome gets to 600 HR's........HOF'er?

RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
I'd say so. What say you?
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say yes....these are some of his career highlights:

5 Time All-Star
    2000+ hits
    1500+ Rbi
    .404 Obp

just to name a few...then add 600 HR and I think he is a lock!
  • Options
    he and Frank Thomas are a couple of pure HR hitters, non steroids that didnt need to hit another HR to get in. This guy is an upstanding dude, humble and classy. He is a lock.
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Yep, no doubt.
    OPS is 17th all time.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, he gets in. Outstanding individual.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Yes
  • Options
    CubsFan41CubsFan41 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Yes.
    Looking for Cello packs with Bill Buckner on top
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd put him in the HOF even if he doesn't reach 600.
  • Options
    I'm a bit skeptical since he's been a DH for most of his career, and his batting average is only average ~.277. He's also in the steroids era, but if he can avoid the taint, he'll probably get in. However, since everyone else thinks he's a lock, how about the next question? First ballot HOFer or later?
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    1st Ballot. Over .400 on base percentage. As long as there is no connection to PED's.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    600 is the magic number nowadays -

hands down - he is in...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I have always liked Thome, and really love him now playing for the Twins. Not sure why anyone would assume he never touched steroids or HGH?
  • Options

<< <i>I'd put him in the HOF even if he doesn't reach 600. >>

That was going to be my response too.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭
    He's in - DH or not, he has some crazy hitting stats. Frankly as a Twins fan I am just glad he is on our team now - he killed us his whole career. Seems like half of his 600 HR came against the Twins.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    I say in.

Glad to see that the "clean" guys (Thome, Thomas, Griffey) are starting to filter through the rubbish (Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, Sosa, A-Roid) to the top where they belong.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I never thought of him as a HOFer but I guess the stats (assuming he is clean) make him worthy.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>I never thought of him as a HOFer but I guess the stats (assuming he is clean) make him worthy. >>

My thoughts as well. However, and I have no good reason to back up this statement, I would not want to see him get in on the first vote. JMO.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd put him in the HOF even if he doesn't reach 600. >>

I agree!! Even though he left Cleveland like just about everyone else he still was/is first class.
  • Options
    GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    600 home runs is still alot of balls out of the park.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    He is already guaranteed a spot. 500 is still a milestone worthy of induction.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    YES. 600 is a monster number.
  • Options
    " i think more than 50% would not vote for thome NO MATTER HOW MANY HOME RUNS HE HITS because he has never been considered a dominant player "

maybe he would have been more dominant if he was on the juice lol

some of the comments are priceless.
  • Options
    IMO 500 is still a worthy milestone because guys like Sosa, Palmiero, McGwire, Bonds and that ilk

did it because they 'cheated' guys like Thomas, Thome and Griffey are not tainted and thus they are the true

500 home run hitters of this generation.

My apologies if I missed anyone.

That's why IMO 500 is still the number to reach.

By the way Thome had a few dominate seasons if I recall.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<but as to the actual voters, i think more than 50% would not vote for thome NO MATTER HOW MANY HOME RUNS HE HITS because he has never been considered a dominant player>>>

Are you joking? Check out his run between 2001 and 2004, and tell me he didn't dominate. Three Top-7 MVP seasons in there.

Thome is a first-ballot lock HOFer if he retired today. His career numbers are absolutely filthy. So what if his career average is .277?...his OPS is .961 and OBP is .404!! For the 16 full seasons he's played (out of 20 total), he's averaged 35 HR's in those seasons....12 walk-off HRs ties him for most all-time with Ruth, Musial, and a few other HOFers whose names escape me.

People on this board are dismissing him a little bit because he's been relatively obscure the last few years as he's bounced around the league (kind of like R. Alomar - still a travesty that he didn't make it in first ballot, IMO).

Of course all of the above goes out the window if he's ever tied to PEDs....
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Thome's biggest downfall was the market's he played in.
  • Options
    I don't think he deserves first ballot or 90% of the vote. Then again I'm 86 years old and white. I didn't even vote for Josh Gibson or old Satchell.

I hate to say it ; but there are still quite a few voters with this mentality. My favorite is: Ruth didn't get 100% so nobody should----So every year a crusty old white guy or 10 send in blank ballots for exactly that reason.

I know that Thome is white....I was just showing how flawed the process is.

Mickey71
  • Options
    the first voters were comprised of what 11 writers? you cannot compare the voting process from 50 years ago to today. Too many people were fooled by the bogus numbers put up folks like Bonds, McGwire and Palmeiro. The true sluggers of the last 20 years have been Griffey, Thomas and Thome.
  • Options
    ShawnyD,
    As far as I know the voting process is the same as 50 years ago--no comparison needed. I think there is just more voters... And as far as anyone being fooled by Bonds, McGwire and Palmeiro---Who is being fooled? They will not get in the Hall unless they purchase a ticket for admission.

• Options

<< <i>Who is being fooled? >>

Those that think that Thome needs 600 homers to gain admittance.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say if you're a home run hitter, ya gotta break the record to get in...IE: ya gotta hit at least 756 home runs or ya don't get in.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He's in - DH or not, he has some crazy hitting stats. Frankly as a Twins fan I am just glad he is on our team now - he killed us his whole career. Seems like half of his 600 HR came against the Twins. >>

FWIW, he's played nearly 1600 games in the field - 1102 at 1B, 492 at 3B.

Tabe
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    He's the left handed Harmon Killebrew, minus the HR & RBI titles... Killebrew had 6 to Thome's 1 --- but he had to do it against all the juicers...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    He gets my vote. Outstanding player and true professional.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options

<< <i>dominant is finishing 7th, 7th and 4th in MVP voting? >>

Umm yeah, I'd say so. Considering around 600 players are in each league finishing in the top 10
    in MVP voting is dominating during those those years. Was he the most dominate? No, no one said he was.

Also remember juicers were getting votes too.

This is all predicated on him being clean of course and from what I have heard (or not heard) he has been clean.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i don't see why not, he hit a lot of HRs for a long time
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    its not just the homers, check out the On base % OPS etc. also amassed very nice totals in runs/RBI's walks. reminds me a lot of killebrew.
  • Options
    582 last night in Texas and I saw it live. A prodigious shot to left center.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    for sure he'll reach it next year......

• Options
    Big Jim just hit 2 dingers, has 20 on the season as a part timer, passed Juice Box McGwire.... hope he gets to 600 next year!

Stay Classy.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I just wonder when he gets in, if they'll pronounce his name right.
  • Options
    16 to go..........if he can get 3 or 4 more this year, he ought to get there next season.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    Why is Thome not playing every night a right hander is pitching? I noticed the other guy (Kubel) is also left handed. Thome's numbers dwarf his % wise.
  • Options
    maybe is balky back is the reason? When you dont take HGH and steroids, and your 40, your injuries limit your playing time.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    I think Thome is already HOF material.
  • Options
    Mickey - I think they are balancing his playing time due to age........playing him part time actually helps him at this point, he mentioned.

If he gets 3 or 4 more this year, we're looking at 600 next year and it'd be nice to see that, a good guy who (hopefully) wasn't on the sauce.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just wonder when he gets in, if they'll pronounce his name right. >>

Jim Thome...it rhymes with Rome, right??? image
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    No, I think it rhymes with bl*w me! image
  • Options
    Thome is about the most efficient man in the game right now in regards to production. He's getting on base alot and when he hits it...bye bye. That one that hit high on the flag pole a few days ago was a laser shot. Luckily no fan 480 feet away got hit with that ball while they were sipping a cold one. It might have been the last sip they ever had.image
  • Options
    I used to go to Indians games in the 90's and watch Thome take batting practice. He consistently hit mammoth shots in BP, the same swing, the same trajectory on the ball. Check out his HR in Game 5 of the '95 WS. It was a gargantuan blast that was the longest HR I've ever seen. He still hits em that way, just not as often.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    587 and counting. Now 8th place all time.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I was at that game on Saturday! It was a 7:05pm game, but had an hour and 45 minute rain delay. The game was 0-0 until the 12th inning when Thome hit that home run! BRUTAL! It wasn't all bad though, we had Club Seats where you get all you can eat and drink (soda) for free, and our seats were protected from the rain. In fact, they showed the Ohio State/Miami game, along with the Meatchicken/NotreDame game on the jumbo-tron during the delay! That was a great evening... image