Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Baseball's Moments of Shame

I have always thought there should be an opposite of the Topps Ring of Honor inserts, basically something that has occurred in baseball that baseball or the player involved wished it would not have happened. This could be anything from David Cone arguing a call with the first base umpire in a 1990 playoff game while two Braves score, to Ruben Rivera stealing Deker Jeter's batting glove, to Randy Johnson's and Dave Winfield's run in with birds, to Sammy Sosa corking his 'batting practice' bat, to Bud Selig not being able to think on his feet and not come up with a creative way to break the tie in the 2002 All-Star game, to Larry Walker giving a fan a foul ball he caught with less than 2 outs and runners on and then taking it back and Jose Canseco's head assisted homer.

So the first card in the Baseball's Moment of Shame series that I have made is Jose Offerman to commemorate his charging the mound with bat in hand incident.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    looking forward to the Milton Bradley L.A. Dodgers Commemerative Card with real hunks of plastic water bottle embedded in the surface.....i would appreciate owning a 1/1 Refractor Bottle card if you please. image
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Manny Ramirez could have a subset all to himself.
  • Options
    An Alomar DNA spit card is in the works.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Cool card, but "concussion" is spelled incorrectly. Will you be printing a corrected version? image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I may - I would like to go a bit retro classic on this topic:

First - back in 1965, Juan Marichal vs. John Roseboro - in the game Marichal (SF) hit catcher Roseboro (LA) in the head opening a 2 inch gash needed 14 stitches!

And second, In Game Two of the 1972 American League Championship Series against the Detroit Tigers, Campaneris (Oakland) already had three hits, two steals and two runs when in the 7th inning he faced pitcher Lerrin LaGrow. After a pitch hit him in the ankle, he threw his bat at LaGrow!

Mike
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Ruben Rivera would have two cards in this set.

A) stealing Jeter's glove
    B)"And that was the worst baserunning in the history of the game!" - radio call by Giants HoF broadcaster Jon Miller

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Thanks for the video baserunning clinic. I had forgotten about that one. That is priceless.
    Collecting Pre-War, Pre-War HOF Types, Pre-War Postcards
  • Options
    Why would Randy Johnson be a moment of shame?
  • Options

<< <i>Why would Randy Johnson be a moment of shame? >>

Watch this...

Bird Hit With 95 MPH Fastball

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    I don't know, but it doesn't seem like freak accidents, like Johnson hitting the bird, should be lumped together with instances of bad sportsmanship and total ineptitude.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Why would Randy Johnson be a moment of shame? >>

Watch this...

Bird Hit With 95 MPH Fastball

Bob >>

Not a shameful moment like spitting on an umpire, stealing or throwing a game. So should not be included.
  • Options
    agreed with the winfield, johnson bird incidents, unfortunate accidents really
  • Options
    jivanjivan Posts: 1,009
    moment of shame............PETE ROSE GAMBLING ON BASEBALL
    always looking for 1969 graded basketball
  • Options
    how about Bonds, McGwire, Palmeiro, Sosa steroids subset. They really make me sick.
  • Options
    WFC2008WFC2008 Posts: 96 ✭✭
    I was actually thinking about making a complete Mitchell Report set. One card for every player mentioned.

I agree the Johnson situation isn't necessarily a shameful moment and more of an accident but I was just looking at this from the view point as these are moments that baseball would never wish to celebrate but yet are forever part of its history. If I remember correctly Winfield was fined for hitting the seagull though.
  • Options
    This pitching is pretty shameful.

LINK
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This pitching is pretty shameful.

LINK >>

That's some krappy pitching. Thanks for posting.---- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options

<< <i>If I may - I would like to go a bit retro classic on this topic:

First - back in 1965, Juan Marichal vs. John Roseboro - in the game Marichal (SF) hit catcher Roseboro (LA) in the head opening a 2 inch gash needed 14 stitches!

And second, In Game Two of the 1972 American League Championship Series against the Detroit Tigers, Campaneris (Oakland) already had three hits, two steals and two runs when in the 7th inning he faced pitcher Lerrin LaGrow. After a pitch hit him in the ankle, he threw his bat at LaGrow!

image >>

I had forgotten all about that incident but this is definitely a moment of shame. I will have a card in the future to pay tribute.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Roberto Alomar spitting on an umpire. Pedro Martinez throwing Popeye to the ground. Minor Leaguer Izzy Alcantara kicks catcher karate style and then charges the mound.
  • Options
    Minor Leaguer Izzy Alcantara kicks catcher karate style and then charges the mound.

that was wicked! you can tell he had been planning that!
    who dey!

looking for 1964 topps baseball psa graded 7+
  • Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about Robin Ventura's run-in with Nolan Ryan?
  • Options

<< <i>Ruben Rivera would have two cards in this set.

A) stealing Jeter's glove
    B)"And that was the worst baserunning in the history of the game!" - radio call by Giants HoF broadcaster Jon Miller >>

My favorite part of that base running blunder was not just his massive confusion at second base, it was the fact that he actually made it to third only to be thrown out at home.
  • Options
    I did another one today. If anyone has a picture with higher resolution that captures this moment please let me know as this was the best one I could find.

imageimage
  • Options
    Great idea, love the cards!
  • Options
    Thanks. Last one for the night from hhmag70's suggestion.

imageimage
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Those would be great if you could get them signed.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pedro Martinez throwing Popeye to the ground. >>

I don't consider that a moment of shame - unless you say that Zimmer is the shameful one there. Pedro did what he needed to do and didn't deck Zimmer - which is what Zimmer deserved. And, no, I'm not even a fan of Pedro.

The Campaneris thing was a huge deal in Detroit. I remember going to Tigers games years later and Campaneris still got heavy, heavy boos at them as a result of that incident.

Tabe
  • Options
    This one is from itzagoner's suggestion. You could punch out the bottom left and insert the water bottle.

This one comes in two different variations. The normal one with the scene from the water bottle toss and a variant picture from an earlier incident with Milton Bradley logo as well as an Abe Lincoln variation back.

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Tony Larussa falling asleep at a stop light and getting arrested for DUI.

Roger Clemens throwing broken bat at Mike Piazza.

Dave Stewart getting arrested for picking up a tranny hooker.

Steve Lyons dropping trow at first base in front of 30,000 spectators.

Bobby Cox emptying the bat rack after one of his many, many ejections.

minor league manager Joe Mikulik's major league meltdown in 2006.

Albert Belle fires a baseball at a heckler in 1991.

Tommy Lasorda's profanity laced answer to a reporter's question about Dave Kingman hitting three HRs agains the Dodgers, 1976. There's a bleeped version floating around the 'net, it's actually funnier than the uncensored version.

Joaquin Andujar going nuts in the 1985 World Series.

Jeremy Giambi.
    (yeah, still bitter...)
  • Options
    Dave Stewart reminded me of Danny Neagle and speaking of minor league meltdowns, we can add Wally Backman to that list.

I think the Steve Lyons one will be the next one as long as I can find a picture. I might have to pull a screen shot. If anyone has a link for a picture of this I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

In the meantime, below is one of the two Chan Ho Park cards. His karate kick will be saved for a later time.

imageimage
  • Options
    Never heard of this until it was mentioned above:

Steve "Psycho" Lyons drops his pants.

• Options
    how about 1970 world series umpire burkhart sitting on his butt looking towards center field in front of plate calling Carbo out at the plate while Hendricks tagged Carbo with an empty glove. Reds lost that game 4 to 3. Thanks Burkhart

Burkhart was involved in a controversial play in Game 1 of the 1970 World Series when he collided with Baltimore Orioles catcher Elrod Hendricks in a close play at home plate. With one out in the sixth inning and two Cincinnati Reds runners on base – Tommy Helms at first and Bernie Carbo at third – pinch-hitter Ty Cline batted a pitch off Jim Palmer in front of the plate. Burkhart stepped forward to call a fair ball and found himself caught in the middle of a play when Hendricks – who initially intended to throw out Cline at first base – instead snatched up the ball and spun around in an attempt to tag out Carbo, who was speeding home. Hendricks tagged Carbo with his mitt while holding the ball in his other hand. Burkhart, who was knocked to the ground and had his back to the play, was obviously distracted during the collision and called Carbo out on contact, although replays showed that Hendricks tagged Carbo with an empty glove and Carbo missed the plate. Reds manager Sparky Anderson ran out of the dugout and argued with Burkhart about the play. Carbo touched home plate incidentally when he headed back to the dugout and thus should have been called safe. The score remained tied at 3-3, with the Orioles eventually winning 4-3.
  • Options
    This is probably one that a catcher the the Korean Professional Baseball League would want back.

Hey Batta Batta

-Ryan
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    To go with Chan Ho Park you could make one for his little asian buddy Byung Jung Kim (sp?) for flipping off the Fenway Faithful after being booed for a rough outting. (He didn't last very long in Boston after that.)
  • Options

<< <i>This is probably one that a catcher the the Korean Professional Baseball League would want back. >>

Yikes!

I don't see catchers trying to make pick-off plays at 1st very often like that.

• Options
    October 14, 2003

• Options
    AUGUST 1, 1973

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    George Brett - pine tar incident

Pete Rose - sliding head first at home in the all-star game and possibly ending Ray Fosse's career

Disco Sucks Night in Chicago

Quarter beer night at a double header (late 70's, I'm not sure where it happened).

John Rocker

Perfect game blown call this year

Don Mattingly not keeping his hair cut to the allowed length by New York Yankees standard :-)

Two fans coming out and pummeling the first base coach

Death threats to Hank Aaron when approaching Babe Ruth's record

The 1994 strike which stalled the comeback of baseball
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    Oh, I had forgotten about this one...

Roseanne Barr's butchering of the National Anthem at a Padres game in 1990, who concluded by grabbing her crotch and spitting on the ground.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is probably one that a catcher the the Korean Professional Baseball League would want back.

Hey Batta Batta >>

Honestly, I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often. Yet another reason why the "catcher tries to pick guys off" play might be the worst play in all of baseball. Succeeds maybe 1% of the time, results in errors far more often.

<< <i>To go with Chan Ho Park you could make one for his little asian buddy Byung Jung Kim (sp?) for flipping off the Fenway Faithful after being booed for a rough outting. (He didn't last very long in Boston after that.) >>

You could add in Chan Ho's kung fu kick:

Or, if you can find it, Dave Rozema's kick doing the same thing, ending his 1983 season.

<< <i>Quarter beer night at a double header (late 70's, I'm not sure where it happened). >>

Cleveland. And it was 10 cents:
    Ten Cent Night in Cleveland

You can also add Juan Marichal's bashing of Johnny Roseboro:

Tabe
  • Options
    Different, and interesting idea. I like it.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks.

I completed the Steve Lyons one. The picture sucks but this was the best resolution I could get.

imageimage
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    1986 - Joe Neikro caught with a nail file - see 1997 Classic Card
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    I love how Neikro tried to toss it aside like no one would see it.

Below is just one of many Vince Coleman follies.

imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    Phil Wellman

Meltdown
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Ummm what about the Delmon Young bat throw
    Young throw

This is the first Kung Fu kick to a catcher I have seen
    Kung Fu Kick to the Catcher
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    Rocker's a jerk, but if that's the quote that's being used to hang him, I've heard worse form nicer guys.

• Options

<< <i>Rocker's a jerk, but if that's the quote that's being used to hang him, I've heard worse form nicer guys. >>

Pardon the pic / quote. It was apparently an exerpt...

"I'd retire first. It's the most hectic, nerve-racking city. Imagine having to take the 7 Train to the ballpark looking like you're riding through Beirut next to some kid with purple hair, next to some queer with AIDS, right next to some dude who just got out of jail for the fourth time, right next to some 20-year-old mom with four kids. It's depressing... The biggest thing I don't like about New York are the foreigners. You can walk an entire block in Times Square and not hear anybody speaking English. Asians and Koreans and Vietnamese and Indians and Russians and Spanish people and everything up there. How the hell did they get in this country?"

-John Rocker on New York

In addition...

"Nowhere else in the country do people spit at you, throw bottles at you, throw quarters at you, throw batteries at you and say, 'Hey, I did your mother last night — she's a whore.' I talked about what degenerates they were and they proved me right."

-John Rocker on Mets fans

EDIT TO ADD:

From Wiki-

On June 29, 2000, Rocker appeared in front of 46,987 fans at Shea Stadium for the first time since making the remarks. Over 700 police officers were summoned for the game (usually 60 are summoned) and 300 press passes were given out. A limit on beer sales was imposed. A special protective cover was erected over the Braves' bullpen in left field. During batting practice, fans were barred from sitting in the first four rows behind the Braves' dugout. A videotaped apology from Rocker was shown on Shea Stadium's 26-foot-tall screen in left-center field before the start of the game between the Mets and the Braves. The video was loudly booed and hostile signs could be seen throughout the stadium.

In the eighth inning, Rocker came in to replace Jason Marquis. He was loudly booed and some objects were thrown and a chant of "A$$hole, A$$hole" began. Rocker struck out Robin Ventura, retired Todd Zeile on a grounder to short, and got Jay Payton to ground out to third. The Braves won 6–4. Rocker left the stadium a half-hour after the rest of the team in a black van trailed by three security vehicles.

Also I've heard this one but cannot confirm...

"You know all those dudes who dress as characters at Disney World, Mickey and Goofy and Donald? Well, they're all f***ing f@ggots. Ghey f@ggots."

-John Rocker on Disney World employees