Home Precious Metals
Options

Any premium on toned bars?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
My dealer has a newer series engelhard eagle & flag 10 oz silver bar, in plastic. There's a small hole in the upper left of the plastic and consequently the upper right quadrant, for lack of a better word, is toned.

I begrudingly appreciate toned coins, but I am not a fan of the moon money paid for them unless they're really exceptional.

This quarter of this bar is not just kind of toned. It's honest to god rainbow. Not mottled, not ugly. Not kinda. It's really exceptionally rainbow toned.

$190 out the door. Would you?
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    without hesitation. what's the downside?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you're not paying a premium for the color at $190 so if you like it, definitely.
    I alway feel good when I can pick up attractive toned pieces for no premium over spot whether bullion or numismatic.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a rule toning does not affect the value of a bar, up or down, except when you get the small ones that somebody wrapped together with a rubber band and the sulphur in the rubber has etched the surfaces.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    nope, if you like it, buy it and enjoy it image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.