Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do You Ever Feel Like the Forum is Playing 43-Man Squamish?

CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am really ready for the ANA image

Comments

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, because I don't know what 43-Man Squamish is.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am really ready for the ANA image >>

Aren't you off-sides?
    Tempus fugit.
  • 43-Man Squamish is a fictional sport that was invented in issue #95 of MAD Magazine (June 1965) by George Woodbridge and Tom Koch

Published under the "There's a Soccer Born Every Minute Dept." heading, the magazine purported that its new sport would avoid the "inherent evils" present in other college sports, described as too professional and which do not allow everyone to participate. 43-Man Squamish is an incredibly complex game with intentionally convoluted and confusing rules. In the article, new terminology is introduced with no explanation; much of the humor derives from the reader's half-successful attempts at gleaning a meaning from context. Exactly what everyone on the team is supposed to do, exactly what penalties apply, and exactly when or why the "yellow danger flag" is to be flown remains far from clear, even after repeated readings.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>43-Man Squamish is a fictional sport that was invented in issue #95 of MAD Magazine (June 1965) by George Woodbridge and Tom Koch

Published under the "There's a Soccer Born Every Minute Dept." heading, the magazine purported that its new sport would avoid the "inherent evils" present in other college sports, described as too professional and which do not allow everyone to participate. 43-Man Squamish is an incredibly complex game with intentionally convoluted and confusing rules. In the article, new terminology is introduced with no explanation; much of the humor derives from the reader's half-successful attempts at gleaning a meaning from context. Exactly what everyone on the team is supposed to do, exactly what penalties apply, and exactly when or why the "yellow danger flag" is to be flown remains far from clear, even after repeated readings. >>

Cool. I guess it borrowed the offsides rule from soccer, since no one, even the game's officials, knows what the heck offsides is! image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like Tennis to me... Too many legs and never got around to understanding the rules. Are there any?

bob

Oh, yes, sometimes this board is like the 43 squashy thingy you said.image
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    oh, its like `fizzbin`
    remember the original star trek episode where capt kirk and gang
    landed on a planet that had a bunch of 1930s style gangsters running the place?
    the captain invented a card game called fizzbin to confuse some small-minded gangster.
    the episode was named ` a piece of the action`
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Squamish and Suquamish are sub-tribes of the greater Coast Salish of the Pacific Northwest. Squamish means "place of clear salt water." In the land of the long canoes, a special 43-Man Squamish canoe was used in ceremonial whaling. Chief Seattle was of the Suquamish Tribe, and on pre-1870 maps of Seattle, Lake Washington is referred to as Lake Suquamish.

This is a rare medal from the 1913 Potlatch Festival in Seattle, which honored the Squamish Tribes and Chief Seattle, spelled backwards as ELTTAES as Chief Seattle was superstitious about his name in writing and would not admit to any correct spelling of his name:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is a rare medal from the 1913 Potlatch Festival in Seattle, which honored the Squamish Tribes and Chief Seattle, spelled backwards as ELTTAES as Chief Seattle was superstitious about his name in writing and would not admit to any correct spelling of his name. >>

I can't believe you found a legitimate numismatic connection to this.......truly scary.......I am in awe!
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭✭
    nicely played, Nysoto!

www.brunkauctions.com

• << <i>nicely played, Nysoto! >>

+1
    There you have it.
    The new upgraded, next level version of 43-Man Squamish.
  • this thread is making me feel a bit squeamish
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a rare medal from the 1913 Potlatch Festival in Seattle, which honored the Squamish Tribes and Chief Seattle, spelled backwards as ELTTAES as Chief Seattle was superstitious about his name in writing and would not admit to any correct spelling of his name. >>

I can't believe you found a legitimate numismatic connection to this.......truly scary.......I am in awe! >>

I agree. That was the best segue into numismatics from nonsense I've seen yet on these boards image
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing segue.... and the Chief Seattle post was informative as well as interesting. Cheers, RickO
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>nicely played, Nysoto! >>

+1
    There you have it.
    The new upgraded, next level version of 43-Man Squamish. >>

Under the rules of 43 man Squaemash Nysoto gets +9 points not +1
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    It's only polo ponies for Longacre. I know nothing of this 43-man squamish. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    Quiddich is a fictional game made up for Harry Potter with flying brooms and....Squamish?....uh?...nevermind.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's only polo ponies for Longacre. I know nothing of this 43-man squamish. image >>

Besides, how could anything allowing 43 men on a team be anything but pedestrian.
  • Squamish, not for the squeemish! image
    Lurker since '02. Got the seven year itch!

Gary
  • EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather play Calvinball!

Other kids' games are all such a bore!
    They've gotta have rules and they gotta keep score!
    Calvinball is better by far!
    It's never the same! It's always bizarre!
    You don't need a team or a referee!
    You know that it's great, 'cause it's named after me!

—The Calvinball theme song (courtesy of Wikipedia)

JH
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I can't believe you found a legitimate numismatic connection to this.......truly scary.......I am in awe! >>

Me too! Just amazing!
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick! Somebody post a "Lucky Tillicum" token!!!

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't 43-man Squamish originally 37-man Squamish, where there were two teams, one of which had 36 men armed with clubs, and the other team had one man with the ball.
    The point of the game was to take the ball away from the one man.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm entered in a tiddlywinks with manhole covers tournament next week, so I won't be in Boston.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭

<< <i>oh, its like `fizzbin`
    remember the original star trek episode where capt kirk and gang
    landed on a planet that had a bunch of 1930s style gangsters running the place?
    the captain invented a card game called fizzbin to confuse some small-minded gangster.
    the episode was named ` a piece of the action` >>

You're a panny-anny operator!
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.

• << <i>Wasn't 43-man Squamish originally 37-man Squamish, where there were two teams, one of which had 36 men armed with clubs, and the other team had one man with the ball.
    The point of the game was to take the ball away from the one man.
    TD >>

No, that one was called "kill the guy with the ball"
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    I remember that game, and IIRC, it never caught on because it required a five-sided field, known as a 'Flutney'. Also, the officials included a Probate Judge who decided controversies by a flip of a coin (this keeps it coin related). Great hearing about it again!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    A great segue,
    image >>

and a very cool piece!
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a town called Squamish in British Columbia on the mainland opposite Vancouver island.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rules of 43 man squamish are intentionally a little
    vague to give the players a little room for self expression
    and innovation; like a snipe hunt, the outcome is certain
    but the play by play is made up as you go along.
    Tempus fugit.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pleased to report that one of the leading lights in the hobby owns the original art for 43-man squamish:

Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file