Home Sports Talk
Options

Do you remember your first major league baseball game?

I grew up in New Orleans and we had lots of preseason games with the Yankees and Astros, but it wasn't until 1983 that I actually attended my first game in person, the California Angels in Arlington to play the Texas Rangers. I got there early with my uncle to maybe get an autograph. I got lucky. Reggie Jackson was in the outfield in warmups and he threw a baseball in that bounced into the stands. I was there and grabbed it. I went over to the Angels dugout and saw some players signing. I saw Rod Carew and I handed him my baseball and a Cross Pen that I had in my pocket. He takes my ball and pen and goes into the dugout and I don't see him for two or three minutes. I think I have lost my ball and my nice pen. Then, Fred Lynn comes out of the dugout and Rod Carew points to me and Fred hands me my ball signed by Carew and Fred, Needless to say, I was ecstatic. I went back to my seat and then out of nowhere Father Guido Sarducci appears. So, I get him to sign a piece of paper. I got pictures of Guido, but the photos of the players came out crappy with my little old 70's quality camera. I still have the ball and the Sarducci paper.

The game itself was nothing special. Larry Parrish hit a home run as Danny Darwin of the Rangers outdueled Byron McLaughlin of the Angels in a 3-2 Rangers win. What was your first game?

Sam

Rangers vs Angels - June 21, 1983 Boxscore
Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Yes I do....I went 1 for 3 with a walk, and scored on a double from Bob Horner.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Phillies beat the Dodgers 2-1 at Connie Mack Stadium-June 1959.
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    1962 or 1963 at Tiger Stadium (might still have been called Briggs Stadium at that time, not sure), anyway, it
    was with a busload of Cub Scouts and we had a good time, one of the dads on the trip jumped over a fence
    in the stands in order to get a foul ball. I couldn't tell you who the Tigers played or who won the game.
  • Options
    It was 1971, I was 10 years old and I remember it oh so well. My brother took me to Fenway to see the Sox play the Twins. We were sitting in the right field bleachers. 12 innings of scoreless baseball. Luis Tiant and Bill Lee shutout the Twins over 13 innings and Rico Petrocelli ended it with a 3-run homer over the green monster in the bottom of the 13th.
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Dodgers, 1975, upper deck seats, ate a lot of got a Dodger's pennant to take home.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seattle Pilots beat KC 7-3, July 1969. Sicks Stadium in Seattle.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't remember the final score, but it was at Shea in 1976 during Lee Mazzilli's rookie season....I still recall late in the game around the 8th inning he hit a long fly ball that I thought was a gamewinning homer and I was jumping up and down only to be told that it was an out, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes I do....I went 1 for 3 with a walk, and scored on a double from Bob Horner. >>

Really, you played MLB? Awesome. Must've been for the Braves? Tell us your name if you feel comfortable doing so, I think most of us would love knowing we have an ex-ball player in our midst!!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Yep I do, 1962 at the Polo Grounds. I have the scorecard and yearbook from the game.

Mets lost of course to the Cardinals.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Sure do. Pirates, 1973. Field trip for school. Don't remember why, but we did.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    1978 Angels
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Dodgers home game in 1978. Cheap seats, but awesome experience.
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    My first major league game was at Dodgers Stadium and the Dodgers were playing the Big Red Machine. I don't remember the date, but I believe it had to be in 1977. Got to see lots of HOF's in that game.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Found the box score. I remembered it against the Angels, but clearly it was the Red Sox. Carew homered in the first and I searched for a card of his until '79 when I finally got the right pack. I was six, so I guess some I'll cut myself some slack on the details.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    September 1968 Baltimore vs. Washington Senators. I still have the program from the game around here somewhere.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    DC Stadium in the summer of 64 or so............a guy named Don Lock hit 2 Home Runs that day and for years I thought the guy was as good as Babe Ruth!!!!!