Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Home for lunch and the mailman came by.....

As tempted as I am to rip into it right away, I have a ton of work to get back to and will have to wait til' tonight.

Case fresh '78 Vending box. I haven't opened or dealt with many '78's before so I'm looking forward to it.

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Can almost smell the cardboard coming from the cards!!
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 78'ssssssssssssssssssssss

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I only count 496 cards in that box.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    With the thread title "home for lunch and the mailman came by" I thought the content would be a bit different. I have to admit I expected it to go..."and he did expect ME to be home and boy was he surprised."
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    54topps54topps Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>With the thread title "home for lunch and the mailman came by" I thought the content would be a bit different. I have to admit I expected it to go..."and he did expect ME to be home and boy was he surprised." >>

my warped mind followed that path as well, and i assume co-custody would be out of the question.
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you get some good stuff Tommy. Looking forward to seeing it! image
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    That's a nice looking box!!! Good luck!!!
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Advanced apology about the ink smear on the Molitor rookie. image
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I'm sitting in my office thinking about getting the first '78 Nolan Ryan PSA 10. What do you guys think that would fetch?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    My bet would be five figures...
  • Options

<< <i>My bet would be five figures... >>

that would be sweet
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

that would be sweet >>

Hopfully enough to buy a Corvette! image
  • Options

<< <i>

that would be sweet >>

My bet would be ... not gonna happen
  • Options

<< <i>My bet would be ... not gonna happen >>

Well yeah, but one can dream, right? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

that would be sweet >>

My bet would be ... not gonna happen >>

captain bring down
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Don't let Jesus bring you down, Tommy. He doesn't run with the big dogs.

• Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Jesus is just trying to steer you away from temptation.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>That's a nice looking box!!! >>

• Options
    AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Good luck buddy!
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>

<< <i>

that would be sweet >>

My bet would be ... not gonna happen >>

Whatever, Debbie Downer
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭
    Tommy , I really like that stack of cards on the right.--- Sonny
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>With the thread title "home for lunch and the mailman came by" I thought the content would be a bit different. I have to admit I expected it to go..."and he did expect ME to be home and boy was he surprised." >>

my warped mind followed that path as well, and i assume co-custody would be out of the question. >>

I envisioned a "pizza delivery guy" type thread in my warped mind...
  • Options

<< <i>Tommy , I really like that stack of cards on the right.--- Sonny >>

lol, I know you do Sonny. Hopefully they will be in your collection come Sunday night.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - good luck!

I bought a box back in 1994 from Mark Murphy - it had some nice cards - I sent some to Dan aka Softparade when he was 'hot' on the set - I think he got like 4 or 5 10s from the stack I sent him.

There was some problem with ink and centering - but overall very nice.

If you don't mind - can you share what you paid for the case? I know it's gone up since I picked up the box - it was like 175 bucks.
    Mike
  • Options
    just got done with the box. No Murray or Molitor but I am amazed at the overall quality of the box. Upon first review I've got 43 potential 10's which is way higher than any one box of the '83's I had. I ended up averaging under 11 per box of '83's that had a shot at 10. When I subbed them I got 10's at about a 33% clip which is pretty good. Not to mention the fact that almost all of the stars were in brilliant condition in this box. The centering started out all over the place but toward the middle and through the end it was really good. Only a handfull didn't have sharp corners which is amazing. The Ryan is probably an 8. After supper I'll scan some of the stars. The last Schmidt 10 sold for over $500 and I've got one that should hopefully get there along with a few other potential star 10's.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's no secret that I dont really like you, but i will give you a piece of good advice about 1978s. Make sure you scrutinize the the surfaces for very faint "spider" wrinkling. Very common with the 1978 card stock. My Murray and Schmidt that I thought were minimum 9s came back as 5s two times each.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Just curious . . . what does the fact that you don't like someone have to do with your comment? I know, you don't like me either but you don't need to post it for all to see/know.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I'll just sit here and wait for something "sharp"; it's likely coming but it was not my intent to provoke it.
  • Options

<< <i>It's no secret that I dont really like you, but i will give you a piece of good advice about 1978s. Make sure you scrutinize the the surfaces for very faint "spider" wrinkling. Very common with the 1978 card stock. My Murray and Schmidt that I thought were minimum 9s came back as 5s two times each. >>

lol, thanks Nick, I guess. I had the same problem with '78 football a couple of years ago.
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious . . . what does the fact that you don't like someone have to do with your comment? I know, you don't like me either but you don't need to post it for all to see/know. >>

it's ok man. If everyone liked everyone else then the world would be a dull place. Just because I don't like someone doesn't mean I can't respect their posts especially when the content is about collecting. There are more than a few on here that don't like me and more than a few that I don't care for either, but that doesn't bother me. To each his own.
  • Options
    I gave $239 for the box for the person who asked.

• Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭
    Good lookin' cards!
    Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck! I hope you get lots of 10's!
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the wrinkle comment. Also, there seem to be lots of faint print marks on 78s down around the name portion on the card.
    Many times this keeps them out of 10 holders
    Palmer has a great shot at 10
    If the Brett's a 9 it's a $100 card, just got my first 9 myself after two years of subbing em
    Seems like a really nice box
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    Did the box come from BBCE?
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    Those are some sharp looking cards!! Wow.

The Molitor or Murray would have looked great I bet. Are you going to buy any more from the same source?
  • Options
    Wow, you pulled some really nice centered stars! It seems like ONLY the stars are OC in my boxes...

I could be wrong, but I thing that Rose is a Double Print. Can anyone confirm that? I just remember it didn't hold as much value as one might think. Of course, a 10 would not suck. Good luck on your subs!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I gave $239 for the box for the person who asked. >>

I was the one who asked.

I misread your OP - I thought you bought a case - said "case fresh" - that's a very good price for 78T IMO.

Especially considering it's condition - I would buy a box for that price.

I got a Molly RC outa a box - sent it to PSA - came back an 8 - and I can't find it anywhere in the house! Have no idea what happened to it.

Good luck on your sub! Beautiful cards.
    Mike
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong, but I thing that Rose is a Double Print

I believe the Rose is a TP actually, if I'm not mistaken. Sharp cards there, Tommy! Did you buy this box on ebay from fratand or from Steve? The Jackson is a big money card in a PSA 9 holder, though the centering on that one probly keeps it from grading mint even with sharp corners.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭

Nice pulls, good luck with the grades.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Great looking Brett card.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    That's some sweet star power!

Definitely centered better then most of the crap I break.

From what I remember the big thing with 78's is the print dots / stray ink at the base like a couple others alluded to.

Good luck with the sub! Can't wait to see the results.
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    BTW what trick did you use getting them out of the box?

I usually take a blade and gently cut down an end. The image of what can go wrong with the "flip and tap" trick makes me cringe personally.

It's seriously the only drawback of vending boxes, other than the few cards on the ends that you "lose" to dinged corners.
  • Options
    sweet pulls, the Bret and Winfield look great! Good Luck with the grades.

and +1 for Nick playing nice today!
  • Options

<< <i>BTW what trick did you use getting them out of the box?

I usually take a blade and gently cut down an end. The image of what can go wrong with the "flip and tap" trick makes me cringe personally.

It's seriously the only drawback of vending boxes, other than the few cards on the ends that you "lose" to dinged corners. >>

I cut down one edge too. It sucks for the boxes but I'd hate to mess any of the cards up trying to get them out otherwise.
  • Options

<< <i>I could be wrong, but I thing that Rose is a Double Print

I believe the Rose is a TP actually, if I'm not mistaken. Sharp cards there, Tommy! Did you buy this box on ebay from fratand or from Steve? The Jackson is a big money card in a PSA 9 holder, though the centering on that one probly keeps it from grading mint even with sharp corners. >>

bought it from fratand on ebay. It was a bit of a gamble but I asked him a few questions before hand and his feedback is great. He is liquidating his vending collection in order to purchase some other stuff. Some of them are GAI, some are from Steve still in the wrapping, and some came from auctions.

This particular one came from an auction last year on collect.com. He had the price at $279 which is way lower than what he or someone else gave at auction but he lowered it to $239 for someone that had agreed to buy several of them. When that person backed out, he forgot to change the price back and I benefitted when I pulled the trigger.

I compared the pictures of the opened lid cards from the box to the ones from the auction it was purchased from and they were identical. The links are below. Like I said, a bit of a gamble but for the money it was a decent one and I think it worked out great.

Ebay Auction

Collect.com auction
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    looking forward to the sub...

nice looking cards...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    PM sent. Good luck with the subs.
  • Options
    Ryan might go 8.5 have seen a lot worse looking 8's. good luck on the rose being a 10, the one I had brought 180.00. image