Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins not included

Not my auction, but I thought it was cool
Link

Comments

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how the auction describes the condition of the box as "circulated".

"used" just sounds so low brow. "Circulated" just sounds better and will register better with potential bidders who are collectors of Buffalo Nickels.

I suggest the our own Crazyhoundog bid strongly for the box so that he can use it to store his fantastic collection of toned Buffalos.
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know nothing about the value of this, and I am not a bidder, but it is pretty cool!
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been several boxes like this show up on ebay the past year or so.
    I don't think they are real. They look too fancy for the mint to have used.
    Larry

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There have been several boxes like this show up on ebay the past year or so.
    I don't think they are real. They look too fancy for the mint to have used. >>

I agree, I have doubts about its authenticity.

In fact the more I look at it and read about it the more pathetic it becomes.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a thread on a similar box currently on the NGC coin forums and the general consensus was that they are modern fantasy fabrications and that the mint wouldn't have gone to the expense to make such a fancy box. This one looks artificially aged to make the buyer think that it's really old. Neat box but I doubt it's real.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree.. not authentic.... the 'box doctors' have made this one.... clever idea though. Cheers, RickO
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a thread on a similar box currently on the NGC coin forums and the general consensus was that they are modern fantasy fabrications and that the mint wouldn't have gone to the expense to make such a fancy box. This one looks artificially aged to make the buyer think that it's really old. Neat box but I doubt it's real. >>

Even if it was real, it is interesting but why would one want it except for a museum? Frankly, I'd much prefer a nice coin or two or three instead of that thang.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Yes i think there could be an authenticity question.But who knows
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen these for a variety of denominations and do not believe for a second that they are legitimate, US Mint products.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont know anything about the value either but its still way cool image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file