Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

As a collector...

coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
would you ever purchase a complete set (any series) or do you need to hand select each coin in the set/series?

Comments

• Options
    NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭
    Buying a complete set of something kind of ruins the thrill of the hunt.
    I'd rather buy every coin, the way I like it, versus a full set with some sub-par coins.
    Now of course if the set was perfect and was to my liking, that would be different versus the scenario I listed above.

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once bought an entire set of 15 coins just to get 3 that I wanted.

sometimes people dont want to break up a set and the only way to get the pieces you need are buying the whole thing.
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might buy a complete set if the price were right. But I doubt I'd keep it intact.
    Lance
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never have been able to buy a whole set at one time. There is always at least one coin that I don't like. Besides, to me there is a better sense of accomplishment when you hand select each coin for the set.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Buying a complete set of something kind of ruins the thrill of the hunt.
    I'd rather buy every coin, the way I like it, ... >>

What he said!
    I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes complete sets sell for about the price of the keys.
    It might be worth doing if you like the set or only to keep part of it if you don't mind the effort of selling what you don't want.

Ed
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would if the price were right - AND - I really liked/wanted the set. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also buy a complete set however would likely upgrade them individually over time so that they were all matched (or closely matched) in grade, including the keys, if possible.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had the loot, I would consider purchasing a complete set, not to hold it as my full set, but to cherry pick the best of it for my personal set, then either sell the rest or more likely hold on to the rest in lesser sets.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a complete (up to 2006) gem set of Roosy dimes, including all the modern proof issues, etc. It wasn't a series I was interested in, but the negotiated price was $85, housed in a like-new Dansco, and a number of the coins were developing some attractive rim toning. I'd never have the time or patience to build this set myself, and suspect it would cost a lot more to buy each coin individually.
    Now a complete gem set of walkers would be a different matter entirely!
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    If all the coins fit my standards of collecting, and the price was right, then yes, I would do it.
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    I have bought collections, not of coins, usually it was to pick it for the pieces I wanted, I suppose I would do the same with coins.
  • Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭

<< <i>Sometimes complete sets sell for about the price of the keys.
    It might be worth doing if you like the set or only to keep part of it if you don't mind the effort of selling what you don't want. >>

A couple years ago I was offered a nearly complete raw set of Roosevelt dimes (sans about five of the '47 - '49 dates that someone had cherrypicked, but including most of the proofs as well as the circulation strikes) in gem or near-gem condition for $270. I wasn't especially interested in Roosies, and I sure wasn't in the market for any entire sets.

However, the cherrypicker and the seller overlooked the 1982 no mintmark strong coin, which I just got graded in the 2nd-quarter free special. It came back MS-66, and makes the purchase of the set one of my "deals of a lifetime."

Sometimes you'd be crazy not to buy an entire set, if offered.

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I did a modern registry set of washington quarters but i made it myself.Funny since then I,m more interested in individual coins rather than completing a set
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once purchased a complete set of Draped Bust Small Eagle quarters, but that set consists of only a single coin.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years back bot. a Jefferson 1938-1964 complete set with nice color and some gems 66/67.
    Still have itimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I have bought complete sets and partial sets. I understand that it ruins the thrill of the hunt. Still, If I have the opportunity to make several upgrades at a great price, I do whatever it takes.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love to buy the JOSHUA II Mercury Dime Collection.....every single coin....then upgrade just the few that can be upgraded over the next 10-20 years.....then combine that with all of the varieties for the finest and most complete Mercury Dime Collection....but I will have to win the lotto in the next 10 days in order to pull it off. image That is one nice collection of dimes!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the thrill of the hunt. I'd only buy a complete set with the intention of cherry picking it or reselling.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file