Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rainbow Rings. My New American Silver Eagle

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photo taken using ambient outdoor room lighting:

I don't think I'm even going to try and cross it.

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, what part of 100% white don't they understand?
    LOFL
    It's really a pretty coin though.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Nice image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must have been one magic taco bell napkin!
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Must have been one magic taco bell napkin! >>

I think it the holder. I've seen a lot of SAE's with this type of toning in that companies slabs(not the dramatic, though)
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Must have been one magic taco bell napkin! >>

It is definetely the holder!!! not a tb napkin
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    DaggoBDaggoB Posts: 332 ✭✭
    It is the PCI holders. I have three ASEs and two cameo Franklins in their holders which all have different types of toning. I had another ASE MS70 which i sent to PCGS as a crossover any grade and it came back MS69.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    That is sweet!
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those PCI holders are better than taco bell napkins!image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, 100% White. My eyes must be going bad. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, I should send some SAE's in to PCI.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    It was 100% white when first slabbed. Those holders are notorious for creating some crazy toning, some will cross to pcgs most will not.
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes! image

....who was the Brainiac at PCI that came up with the "100% white" designation anyways?....IMO just a dumb idea in all respects regardless of whether or not the coin is actually 100% white.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MOOSE!
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    "Toned" before slabbing. Yet another example of AT being placed into a holder for profit. Give me my Binions ANY day. At least they have EARNED their color. Usually over about 100 years! Not 100 hours or minutes. JMHO
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<"Toned" before slabbing. Yet another example of AT being placed into a holder for profit. Give me my Binions ANY day. At least they have EARNED their color. Usually over about 100 years! Not 100 hours or minutes. JMHO>>

AT please explain? I don't think PCI's intention was to create a holder that would wildy tone ASE's, or any other series.
    100 minutes or hours in a PCI holder, won't tone an Eagle. The last pic is a crack out, and the residing Eagle
    has been in there for 3 years, no change in the coin, thats 26280 hours. image My intent is to tone the Eagle, so yes it then would be AT.
    I too collect PCI Eagle's, 15 different dates so far, all MS67 100% white inserts.
    Nice NT Eagle Braddick image

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK..now begins the mad rush to PCI with ASE's.... What a shame, ruining a beautiful coin like the ASE.... like peeing on a Rembrandt. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Eye Popping Beauty!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK..now begins the mad rush to PCI with ASE's.... What a shame, ruining a beautiful coin like the ASE.... like peeing on a Rembrandt. Cheers, RickO >>

Ironic post. Rembrandt is famous for his use of color.
    His exquisite use of vivid colors is extraordinary.

Otherwise he'd have gone the drab route and painted this:

peacockcoins

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS MS68:
    imageimage
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,514 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its different
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, there are some unknowledgeable folks spouting off like they know things (that they don't).
    I am sure that there were plenty who didn't know what would tone what, when the slabs were first created. I am sure that they did the 100% white as a "courtesy" and that the coin was 100% white when it went in.

I sincerely doubt, having seen some similar, though not to the same degree, that this was artificially toned. Many PCI SAEs have toned, concentrically, and nicely, in these older holders.

It isn't "MOC" toning. It wasn't "toned before slabbing". I don't think it would qualify as "AT".

These coins have also been known to naturally tone in ngc/pcgs slabs as well...just not as much

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    And a little JewelLuster will take that right off and you'll have shiny silver!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file