Home Precious Metals
Options

40% silver

I don't get why so many people hate 40% silver. I don't hate it yet. If 40% silver is worth X, I don't get why so many people hate X? Please let me know, I'm here to learn. image

Comments

• Options
    zrlevinzrlevin Posts: 734 ✭✭✭
    It tends to be hard to move, because so many people hate it. Therefore, I hate it. It seems to be a snowballing problem.....
    Zach
  • Options
    AboutAgAboutAg Posts: 201 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't get why so many people hate 40% silver. I don't hate it yet. If 40% silver is worth X, I don't get why so many people hate X? Please let me know, I'm here to learn. image >>

Silver is heavy enough and takes up enough space as it is (compared to its value), and 40% silver just compounds that problem.

Also, people are concerned that 40% silver would cost a lot more to refine than 90% silver (some refiners won't even accept 40% silver).
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's partially psychological. It's extremely low quality silver---it's not even half silver.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    curlycurly Posts: 2,880

It's a waste of money. If you have ten 40% halves laying about, you have $3.00 that is not being used for something else.
    Every man is a self made man.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    it's mostly the size/space issue

war nickels, too.

i suppose if you want space efficiency with barter/trade one would want 90%, but no one would refuse a war nickel or 40% kennedy for a similar discount to the silver content of a 90%, right?

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    not many people want it, I'm sure if you did a poll, a large majority of the people on this forum would not want 40% even if discounted because the money could be well spent somewhere else. You have that plus a lot of stores won't buy it unless its cheap and like another member said, some refiners don't want it comppounds the problem.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    I'll buy all you want to sell me for $.75 each. I'd even go a dollar each. image
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll buy all you want to sell me for $.75 each. I'd even go a dollar each. image >>

$1.25 here! Any takers? + I'll pay shipping.
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a waste of money. If you have ten 40% halves laying about, you have $3.00 that is not being used for something else. >>

Um.......ten half dollars = $5.00 ................
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'll buy all you want to sell me for $.75 each. I'd even go a dollar each. image >>

$1.25 here! Any takers? + I'll pay shipping. >>

You guys are so generous.

My local dealer is paying $4.85 per dollar face for 40% based on 07/30/10 spot.

typo
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

$1.25 here! Any takers? + I'll pay shipping. >>

You guys are so generous.

My local dealer is paying $4.85 per dollar face for 40% based on 07/30/10 spot.

typo >>

That is extremely good. I just sold some on the BST for $4.50 per dollar face and that includes shipping.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Fixed it. That was the typo.

40% @ 4.85
    90% @ 12.60
    90% halfs @ 12.70
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fixed it. That was the typo.

40% @ 4.85
    90% @ 12.60
    90% halfs @ 12.70 >>

Wow, I wish my local B&M paid 97.5% to 98.5%.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Well it's discounted even more than Sterling Silver and was only made 5 years so it's not very interesting to collect. The biggest reason is it's shear bulk. A 90% 1000 dollar bag is hard to store and has like 720 ounces of silver. It takes around $2100 face of 40% to have the same silver as that bag of 90% if I did my math correctly image
  • Options
    If silver ever goes over $100 an ounce, it will get popular! image
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I have some OBW rolls of 40%, and always looking for more! image

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I just sold two rolls of scrap 40% for $96.00 at a coin show. None of the coins were keepers. It seemed like a good deal at $48 per roll cash.
  • Options

<< <i>I just sold two rolls of scrap 40% for $96.00 at a coin show. None of the coins were keepers. It seemed like a good deal at $48 per roll cash. >>

That is a very good price you got for your junk 40% halves. Close to actual melt.

If that type of buy price were readily available, more people would buy 40%.
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    sure compared to 90% straight up....but if you can get a bargain buying 40% or sell 40% close to a 90% ratio, then what's the problem? I think that was the OP's question.

but then again i am trying to justify all my war nickels and 40% i have hounded for a few years