Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Unreal!

I saved the images, so that even if the second listing is removed, you can see what's happening.

Seller one, selling a lovely Ionian coin, nicely imaged: 1862 30L raw colorful gem BU

Seller two, selling a different date, infinetely rarer and more expensive, slabbed: 1852 30L NGC VF30

Do they look similar? The magic of photoshop. Same obverse

Original reverse (1862)

Photoshopped reverse (1852 with the 6 turned into a 5)

He even photoshopped the minuscule slab image so that it looks similar to the big one. Copying an active listing, that's something! My entry for con artist of 2010. image

PS: Courtesy of the detectives of the Greek coin forum.
Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    image that is the same coin with the date having been changed on the image. Well spotted Dimitri!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Hus, but I'm just the messenger. Look at the PS of my OP and you'll understand.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First coin is really nice.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I see the first ebay listing now D. Hopefully it will get pulled.

I agree the 1862 is a smashing coin.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    VF30 on the 1852 30L., eh?

WOW!!! Looks severely undergraded. image

You would at least think they could have made that 'magic 5' at tad more crisp on the edges.
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    GK Coins is a legit dealer whom I have had dealings with before. The 1862 is listed on his site in the World Coins section.
  • Options
    Rob, I'm sure that you realized that gk is the good guy in this case. It was his pictures that were stolen, and if you ask me, the price that he's asking for his gem 1862 Ionian is rather low. It will grade MS65 if submitted, and these usually sell in the $750-$800 range slabbed. So, IMHO, it's an excellent bargain, if someone wanted it as a type coin, especially now that the pound is low.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>

You would at least think they could have made that 'magic 5' at tad more crisp on the edges. >>

Mac, you need to have a clear view of what the original looks like, and I doubt that the VF30 was of any real help, after all it's only a 16mm coin. image

This is what the original 1852 looks like:

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice catch by the Greek coin forum cops!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    NewRoseNewRose Posts: 309 ✭✭
    WOW! Stunning catch on your part!
    That is really something.

Successful BST transactions with: copperhunter (2010), Tdec1000 (2010), barrytrot (2011), kaz, (2011), Metalsman (2011), jimineez1 (2020), U1chicago (2020)

• Options
    Yep-no doubt about it, right down to the die striation in the lettering and the carbon spots
    above and below the 30.

The game was afoot Watson.

Until you derailed it that is :+)
    No,no- the kids and the cat are all right honey.
    It's just that I got my PCGS grades.