Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where Should I Sell My Vintage Cards?

Hi all, I'm new to the message boards and was wondering if the experts out there had any tips on selling high-grade 1933 and 1934 Goudey and 1935 Diamond Stars cards. I just bought a great lot of 16 cards from those three sets and sent them to get graded a couple of days ago. (Side question: Do you think it will take PSA longer to grade my cards do to the National Convention?) Anyway, here's a list of what I have, the grade I think they'll get from PSA, the SMR value at that grade, and the SMR value at the grade right below my guess.

Year Brand Number Player My guess Value Conservative Value
1934 Goudey 27 Luke Appling 5 $150 $85
1934 Diamond Stars 43 Ted Lyons 7 $215 $140
1934 Goudey 11 Paul Waner 6 $215 $150
1934 Diamond Stars 26 Pepper Martin 8 $375 $155
1934 Goudey 10 Charles (Chuck) Klein 8 OC $225 $170
1934 Diamond Stars 2 Al Simmons 7 $365 $200
1934 Diamond Stars 32 Edgar Rice 8 $525 $215
1934 Diamond Stars 27 Pie Traynor 8 $600 $250
1934 Diamond Stars 30 Heinie Manush 8 $600 $250
1934 Diamond Stars 9 Mickey Cochrane 8 $1,500 $400
1934 Diamond Stars 35 Earle Averill 9 $1,800 $525
1933 Goudey 234 Carl Hubbell 8 OC $850 $525
1934 Goudey 23 Charley Gehringer 8 $1,400 $575
1933 Goudey 127 Mel Ott 8 $2,200 $850
1934 Goudey 6 Dizzy Dean 8 $4,250 $1,400
1934 Diamond Stars 44 Rogers Hornsby 9 $5,000 $1,500

The reason I ask is that I've noticed a lot of Diamond Stars and 1934 Goudeys selling only at 1/2 or 2/3 of SMR's values on eBay. Should I consign to one of the big auctions? Should I sell them card by card or just have a big lot of all 16? All 16 of these have snow-white borders and most have perfect or almost-perfect corners. I didn't take pictures before I sent them to PSA, but you can see them from the auction where I bought them: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220635047756&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_514wt_1137

Thanks,
spencerdorsey

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    hope this is a joke
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    How is this a joke?
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    because the cards from ebay are reprints, worth maybe a dollar or 2
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I notice that the guy you bought the cards from has this in the description:

"Seller assumes no responsibility for this listing. No Returns. No refunds. Buyer pays shipping and handling."

I hope you paid with paypal, because I think you're going to want to get your money back.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Well, here's a question: When did the first reprints of these cards show up? I believe the seller because they arrived in old, yellowed wax envelopes that really looked 50 years old. I did pay with PayPal, so I'm safe. They look real to me.
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    He already left feedback. I really hate these auctions.

"Growing up I always wanted to see the cards, however my dad never let me touch them. They were always kept in his safe and were never ever taken out (trust me!). "

"I can almost guarantee that these cards saw their first ray of light today in over fifty years as I took them out to photograph them."

Paper will turn yellow after 70+ years. These are snow white.

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>Well, here's a question: When did the first reprints of these cards show up? I believe the seller because they arrived in old, yellowed wax envelopes that really looked 50 years old. I did pay with PayPal, so I'm safe. They look real to me. >>

80s maybe?

Old envelopes doesn't necessarly mean "old cards."

"Seller assumes no responsibility for this listing" has a very bad ring to it.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    Check Out This Set

Look at the pictures and notice the paper and the paper in the ebay auction. Dead give away is the glossy paper.

Every old card (50+ years) I have looks like those from the PSA set.

If you sent them to PSA you will know very soon.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    agreed...does PSA still have the "shared orders" page?
  • Options
    Yankees001Yankees001 Posts: 1,496
    No doubt about it, REPRINTS.

I would guess they are from the early 1980's when collecting started to get popular. Sets of the real 1933 & 1934 Goudey cost too much, and their was a demand for Reprint sets.

I'd be filing a claim with ebay soon.

Dave
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An example of how scammers continue to scam and profit from it. Know what you buy before you buy it. I'm sorry you got taken. Hopefully Paypal can protect you. However, you may be out of luck for the PSA grading fees which is throwing good money after bad. Maybe you can call PSA and stop the order. Then you'll only be out the shipping costs.
  • Options
    20K value for 775 + grading, what a deal.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Scammers never... ever... run out of suckers. It's sad.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wow.
  • Options
    Agreed, not sure if the Goudeys were ever that glossy.
    they were reprinted in 1985.

Links are great for reference

Goudey reprints

Fritsch- Reprint king I have several of his sets as it's the only way I could afford to own them.

I wish you the best possible outcome.
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    Who ever bought this lot has recently been selling graded cards from the early 50s and a complete set of 59 Ted Williams. Could they be that dumb?
  • Options
    Look at the '34 Goudey Appling, though. It's really off-centered. Do any of those reprints from the '80s have such bad off-centering? Now I am tempted to call PSA to stop the order...
  • Options
    GB5HOFGB5HOF Posts: 590
    Those are absolutely 100% reprints. They made those in the mid 1980's. I've sold several Goudey's and Diamond Stars in the past few months. The ones pictured in that auction are not real.
  • Options
    dzolotdzolot Posts: 174 ✭✭
    That's why this message board is really helpful BEFORE you bid!! image

You guys are AMAZING!!
    I have twelve Sports Cards videos on youtube w/ over 75,000 views in total!! Vintage cards like 1951 Mantle, 33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Cobb, etc (copy and paste link below):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dzolot

Thanks for watching. Hope you enjoyed!!

- I would encourage all collectors to post a video of their collection - I have found it to be a very rewarding way to share my sports cards!!
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

how many minutes ago were you born? Man, if this is real, I feel for you. You better make that Paypal claim IMMEDIATELY and call PSA to stop the order!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Seller assumes no responsibility for this listing"

Especially since Ebay says that they do.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Spencer, I'm sorry that you've been scammed. Here's a few tips to prevent this from happening in the future.

1. 51 feedback seller selling very rare and valuable cards in near flawless condition = scam

2. Past sales are not card related

3. My comments in brackets from auction description:

THIS IS A NO RESERVE AUCTION. I AM LEFT WITH NO CHOICE BUT TO SELL THESE CARDS.

(sob story to build empathy, sets a believable story for why he owns such treasures)

Up for sale is an amazing opportunity to own an incredibly rare collection of vintage baseball cards. My father recently passed away

(father, grandfather, uncle, ex-husband...the story and scam is always the same!)

and I was left with some very rare personal belongings. Among his most treasured was this baseball card collection that includes 16 near brand new condition cards. Growing up I always wanted to see the cards, however my dad never let me touch them. They were always kept in his safe and were never ever taken out (trust me!)...

(in the sales business trust me! means F-U you're getting screwed!)

I don't know much about these cards except for the fact that they are in just about perfect condition and appear to be from around the early 1930's. They words "Big League Chewing Gum, Goudey Gum Co." are printed on the back. The white around the borders is extremely bright and there isn't one tear or scratch anywhere I could find. I can almost guarantee that these cards saw their first ray of light today in over fifty years as I took them out to photograph them.

(pleading ignorance = you are getting scammed!)

I really hate to sell my father's belongings. Especially this collection. Believe me, I wouldn't sell these cards unless I had to. Unfortunately, I recently was laid off and need money. I feel like a monster having to sell my father's personal belongings as he recently passed away. I just hope that these cards go to a home that fully appreciates them. I cannot stress how amazing the quality is of these cards.

(more sob story to build empathy and to give some believability as to why he has the cards and they're being sold)

Best to always run away from these auctions. Six other bidders are lucky to have lost.

Tony

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I believe those cards came from a book called "Classic Baseball Cards" by Bert Randolph Sugar. The cards were perforated, so the seller probably cut off the perforations before selling them.
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Look at the '34 Goudey Appling, though. It's really off-centered. Do any of those reprints from the '80s have such bad off-centering? Now I am tempted to call PSA to stop the order... >>

you should definitely call and stop them. i'm assuming PSA would just grade them as reprints (and not reject them...unless they were trimmed or somehow counterfeit, which they probably aren't) and you'd be out the grading fees for the cards.
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    those envelopes are used by stamp collectors
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    wouldn't surprise me if that guy's out getting drunk on your money right now celebrating. Maybe picked up an eight ball even.

Better act quick so Paypal can stop his wild spending. Even though you're covered, might as well give him a nice jolt
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    First off, HI! welcome to the forum! I am sorry that your first thread is an unpleasant one. I took the liberty of researching the cards to find discrepancies between them and original cards. Usually a reprint will be a somewhat cropped version of the original.

Here is an original 1934 Goudey Dizzy Dean (not my card btw) notice the bottom of the card where the "Lou Gehrig says" is completely separated from the bottom white border, now look at the one you purchased.

Obviously cropped meaning a reprint.

What you should do:
    1. Call PSA ASAP! Tell them to cancel the order they are about to receive (or have already received) and offer to pay for the return shipping on the cards.
    ---> side note: can he cancel the packages delivery if it was sent with DC?
    2. File a SNAD claim through paypal. Don't contact the seller IMO
    3. Keep us updated!!!

I really hope you do well!!

Also, I checked your recent purchases. Look into vintagecardprices.com 10x better then SMR

Jason
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Let's look a little closer before we start feeling sorry for the "buyer:"

1. Since the "buyer" alleges to have already sent the cards to PSA for grading, this suggests at least a working knowledge of sportscards and grading
    2. Bidding over $700 suggests that the buyer was aware of the value of the cards if legitimate
    3. Spending over $700 suggests some disposable income
    4. If the buyer is legit, then common sense is the only lacking aspect of this transaction as knowledge, understanding and greed were already present.

The other option is that this is a troll looking to elicit responses.

Regardless, it amazes me how many people throw their money away on something that appears to be too good. When the uninformed put aside their greed and let rational thought and analysis take over, such mistakes can be avoided. I really don't think anyone should offer sympathy for people that make such thoughtless and foolish decisions. They just make it easier for the scammers to be more successful and tempt other "honest" folks to attempt such scams as a result of the monies that the greedy are willing throw away.
  • Options
    Basically what I was thinking earlier today, I just did not want to pile on.

Spencer, the seller claims he needs money, why would he (or anyone for that matter)

give up thousands of dollars for 711.00? File the SNAD with Paypal. Don't even alert the seller and leave ebay out of it too.

Paypal will do the work, I would think that they have a hold on this, or have you already left Positive feedback?

Sigh..............................Never mind I see that you already left positive feedback and possibly allowed PP to unfreeze the funds.

This is gonna get messy. Hopefully Storm will chime in.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing I find interesting is the photo 'glare' - cards from this era do not have that kind of gloss appearance IMO.

Mike
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    When I read...

(trust me!)

and

Believe me

and

Seller assumes no responsibility for this listing. No Returns. No refunds. Buyer pays shipping and handling.

The red flags start waving violently...
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    classic . . .
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's look a little closer before we start feeling sorry for the "buyer:"

1. Since the "buyer" alleges to have already sent the cards to PSA for grading, this suggests at least a working knowledge of sportscards and grading
    2. Bidding over $700 suggests that the buyer was aware of the value of the cards if legitimate
    4. If the buyer is legit, then common sense is the only lacking aspect of this transaction as knowledge, understanding and greed were already present.

Regardless, it amazes me how many people throw their money away on something that appears to be too good. When the uninformed put aside their greed and let rational thought and analysis take over, such mistakes can be avoided. I really don't think anyone should offer sympathy for people that make such thoughtless and foolish decisions. They just make it easier for the scammers to be more successful and tempt other "honest" folks to attempt such scams as a result of the monies that the greedy are willing throw away. >>

Let's not be too hard on the buyer. He's the victim here. People complain that there aren't enough new collectors entering the hobby. Then when someone comes in and gets burned on a transaction, not only are they stung by getting ripped off, but they get the double humiliation of getting pummeled by responses like yours above. Is it really any wonder why we aren't getting more people entering the hobby?
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    I hope you get your money back!
    There are some guys on this thread trying to help you I'd take them up on it soon!
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Let's look a little closer before we start feeling sorry for the "buyer:"

Regardless, it amazes me how many people throw their money away on something that appears to be too good. When the uninformed put aside their greed and let rational thought and analysis take over, such mistakes can be avoided. I really don't think anyone should offer sympathy for people that make such thoughtless and foolish decisions. They just make it easier for the scammers to be more successful and tempt other "honest" folks to attempt such scams as a result of the monies that the greedy are willing throw away. >>

Let's not be too hard on the buyer. He's the victim here. People complain that there aren't enough new collectors entering the hobby. Then when someone comes in and gets burned on a transaction, not only are they stung by getting ripped off, but they get the double humiliation of getting pummeled by responses like yours above. Is it really any wonder why we aren't getting more people entering the hobby? >>

New to the hobby? That's not an excuse for ignorance and greed. Throwing money at things that you do not know about is STUPID -- plain and simple. I doubt this individual is "new to the hobby." And I seriously doubt that the fact that I speak a cold, hard truth will discourage them.

I'm so sick of people expecting others to tip-toe around such things, offering up condolences and hoping things work out.

The fact is that GREED took precedence to prudence, research and sound judgment.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for every schmuck that comes on here to share their story of getting burned because they were too oblivious to seek out advice or do some research on a deal that looked to good to be true?

If you need to blame me for people not entering the hobby, be my guest. I be the cross bearer for the hobby's shortcomings. However, I'd rather have a diminished volume of informed collectors than a doubling of the hobby population filled with dolts that will toss hundreds of dollars on things they don't know about. These cretins won't be in the hobby very long and will probably end up posting the crap they bought on Craigslist and rip off someone else.

If you feel I've humiliated him, I'll gladly send both of you some tissues to wipe away your collective tears.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ya thought you were gonna buy these popular cards off ebay, spend a few dollars on grading fees, and flip them and make a quick 10x on your money, even though it seems you have little knowledge about these cards and the marketplace?

Sorry to say...bad idea.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    gotta agree with Scott on this one.....how does a newbie "uninformed" buyer go after stuff that only an advanced collector or dealer would truly know about.....i thought i knew a lot when i got deeper into this business and i've still screwed up plenty, but i've succeeded enough to cover and bury my mistakes, not heap them on someone else.....this thread, from the beginning, seemed like nothing more than an attempt to prop open Pandora's Box.
  • Options
    I have been lurking around here for a while, just trying to learn from all of you. I will add my two cents here. In the original post the buyer had done his homework to get a rough idea of the value of these cards and that they were going for much less than SMR had them at. What he failed to look at was what these cards should look like. He was looking for a quick flip on these cards and felt he could make a big profit on them. While Scott may come across as being an azz, he is right on point. I suspect that this person was not a true collector, but someone looking for a quick profit. We need more collectors that are looking to do it for the love of the cards, not to make a huge profit.

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    In what other aspect of life do people who get scammed get more grief than in the collectibles hobby. We spend our entire lives looking for the greatest deal ever in this "hobby", then some have the nerve to blame a buyer for getting scammed. It's sanctimonious BS and anyone who really believes that the scammed party is at fault and doesn't chastise the scammer is lying to themselves and everyone else. It's all a bunch of lies. Proof being that if you were ever scammed or are scammed, you would be pissed off, demand restitution and you wouldn't be here blaming yourself.
  • Options
    People who get scammed, at times appear to be as greedy as the scammers.

(not saying this is the case here, although it could be)

It's not just in the collectible arena either.

When someone thinks that they can get 50k and all they have to do is send 500.00

for processing they too are labeled as greedy.

Many cons prey on peoples greed.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    One last point, anyone here that has chastised the OP would also rip the scammer a new behind.

That goes without saying.....................

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>People who get scammed, at times appear to be as greedy as the scammers.

(not saying this is the case here, although it could be)

It's not just in the collectible arena either.

When someone thinks that they can get 50k and all they have to do is send 500.00

for processing they too are labeled as greedy.

Many cons prey on peoples greed.

Steve >>

But THAT is the con. Being greedy isn't against the law, breaking the law is breaking the law.
  • Options

<< <i>But THAT is the con. Being greedy isn't against the law, breaking the law is breaking the law. >>

I'm not saying that the con's are not breaking the law, but I am going to have less sympathy for someone who does not do the research "first". What ever happened to common sense? If a deal looks to good to be true, that should be the first red flag. Others have pointed out many other red flags.

Bob
    Not an alt, just a lurker

Looking for Bob Uecker cards

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Many cons prey on peoples greed. >>

My dad felt that was the "core" of a good con, Steve. Thus, a good con requires a bit of larceny on the part of the person being screwed.

However, I'm gonna give a bit of slack to the OP - perhaps this was just a naive play on the part of the buyer - thought he was getting the deal of century.

And this begs the issue to everyone who has the opportunity to buy cards - if a person offered you legitimate cards at 10 cents on a dollar - out of ignorance - let's say it's a woman who's husband died - e.g. - do you take the cards? Or do you educate her and offer fairtrade?

To the OP - with respect to ebay - if it looks TOO good to be true? Well, I guess ya know the answer now.
    Mike
  • Options
    SCD I never said it was against the law to be greedy, I simply was giving my opinion

on why some people skewered the buyer. That was your original question/statement, was it not?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>And this begs the issue to everyone who has the opportunity to buy cards - if a person offered you legitimate cards at 10 cents on a dollar - out of ignorance - let's say it's a woman who's husband died - e.g. - do you take the cards? Or do you educate her and offer fairtrade? >>

Mike, great question and I wonder if that fits into the deal of the century or not?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And this begs the issue to everyone who has the opportunity to buy cards - if a person offered you legitimate cards at 10 cents on a dollar - out of ignorance - let's say it's a woman who's husband died - e.g. - do you take the cards? Or do you educate her and offer fairtrade? >>

Mike, great question and I wonder if that fits into the deal of the century or not?

Steve >>

Steve - it could - but my point is just that one should be careful with one's judgement - ya never know what ya gonna do when confronted with a "moral" issue? I could see some dealers saying: "my job is NOT to educate anyone - it's a business - if someone makes an offer - we take it without prejudice or passion - knowing full well - that it's not personal, just business" - do I need to bring out the shovel? image
    Mike
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With regard to Mike's point about educating buyers:

In my opinion, it is bad form to ask someone that is selling a collection how much they want for their cards. Anytime I have been in a position to buy a collection I have looked it over and then told the person what I would be willing to pay for the cards. Then deals, no thank yous, or negotiations follow.
  • Options
    I am just the opposite I want to know before I throw an offer out there if we are even close.