Home Metal Detecting
Options

My first gold!? with pics... and gold test update!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was sweeping my White's PI Dualfield along a depression in the rock at a swimming hole and dug out a LOT of rocks after I kept getting a signal-- I spent about 10 minutes waving sand and rocks out of the way when I saw the hint of gold! Sure enough, I reached in and pulled out what looks like a 24" chain! It looks like it says CACO 14K on it-- I'll have pics up soon, my webserver is down. image

I tend to be very skeptical of things like this-- I don't want to celebrate early if it's junk but it sure seems pretty dang bright for being at the bottom of a swimming hole under a rock for a while. There's a tiny bit of coppery discoloration on one end but that's it-- the rest is bright and goldy.

Here's a closeup of the clasp.

Update: I took it to Mac's Coins in Sunnyvale, CA, and had it tested-- after filing it, aciding it and weighing it, it turned out to be 21 grams of 14K gold!
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold is exciting.... and even if it turns out not to be, it sure was a thrill anyway.... sounds like the real thing though... congratulations.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I spent about 10 minutes waving sand and rocks out of the way >>

That's a good sign!
    24" is a long one! Congrats! How much does it weigh?

Some discoloration is not unheard of for stuff that's been in the water for some time. For example, this 18k ring was found in water
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wtg. congrats on that one image
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope it's gold!

the discoloration could be the impurities in the solder where links were fused together, or where the clasp was put on?
  • Options
    Sure looks like gold.... have it tested... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Impressive finds. way to go
  • Options
    bump
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭✭
    congrats! one heck of a payday for you!
  • Options
    Congratulations.... very nice chain.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Congrats! That's great!

Let's see... 21 grams @14k .. over 12 grams pure gold in that one.
    You've got me beat; have never found an item with over 10 grams in it.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    I just got a shorty wetsuit so I can go into more swimming holes-- it's just a shaaade too cold to enjoy. 3MMs of neoprene should help with that.

Watching the gold test was crazy-- I've never seen acid in a beaker before. It smoked when it hit the air!
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Congrats on GOLD! Nice find and I hope the first of many more!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    What is something like that worth?
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    $472.85 at 1225/troy oz. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not a bad day's take image
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a VERY nice find. What else have you found at this swimming hole??
  • Options

<< <i>That is a VERY nice find. What else have you found at this swimming hole?? >>

The lighter pat'd from 1910 was the only interesting thing, other than some costume jewlery as well. I'm still hitting it-- it's got a small waterfall that's hard to get too near. It's really noisy!

• Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Great find, Congrat's
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    Glad to hear it tested real.... very nice find. Cheers, RickO