Home Metal Detecting
Options

Oval shaped saloon token

yep, my 3rd token for the month. this is my first token of this shape. i'm really excited about it. a local coin dealer says it could be worth several hundred $. also found a small copper coin the size of a half dime that appears to be 1835. still soaking that one.

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    My token book has it listed for $150 in vf. It is circa 1887. Let us know how you fair! -Dan
  • Options
    which book is your reference? i only have the 1976 Kappen CA token book. its listed at $27.50. generally we multiply the '76 value by 4 or so. so i guess that;s about the same as yours? i do alot of business with a dealer in willow glen, CA. he sounded fairly interested when i called him about it. chances are i'll never sell this token. i've never seen or owned an oval token. a local saloon makes it even better.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I do not have the edition #, but it is the Krause US Token Guide for 1700-1900 issues. -Dan
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    thanks, i'm gonna have to get that. maybe tomorrow.
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    cool token. Keep us posted on what else you find out. Also, can't wait to see pics of the 1835 mystery item...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great token find .... some are worth a lot of $$$ - and that is one of them. I agree with you, I would likely keep it for myself. Do let us know about the copper coin... sounds interesting... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice did. i wish id find more of them but not is this area. great find thou keep us posted
  • Options
    very cool token demo...wtg...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    It looks like a token/elongated cent. Can you tell if its made from a Indian Head cent?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    demodiggerdemodigger Posts: 1,012
    i checked, its just a token. was hoping to see an 1877 in there somewhere
  • Options
    Thats a really nice historical find regardless of value