Home Metal Detecting
Options

Metal Detecting in Washington State Parks

For any of you that may metal detect in Washington State Parks, I found that they have totally revamped their website and sort of whittled down the list of 70 odd parks to metal detect down to 29. I called Olympia personally, trying to find out why they did this and got to talk with Kathy Hale who is the activity director for all the parks. She said that there have been new maps that have been drawn up for all the parks and they are still a work in progress, they will be adding metal detecting areas to as many parks that they possibly can. My interest was with Salt-water, which is only about a mile down the road from where I live. The new map shows no metal detecting allowed, yet it was on the list at one time. She (and also got the word from one of the park rangers) informed me that they were doing some excavation for construction purposes and unearthed some Indian artifacts. I found that in the past, the Muckleshoot would use that land for a retreat to the sound to fish, crab and clam while generally enjoy each others company. The Washington State Parks Department is very particular as to what is being unearthed by anyone in any of their parks, hence the new maps and all. I understand that the land at Dash Point was also used by the Muckleshoot for the same purpose. Just letting you all know....

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So it will all just rot in the ground. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    slothman2000slothman2000 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    That was what I said...but you know how anal retentive they can be here Ricko....I believe you used to live out here....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.. I lived in Seattle. Also Renton, they were not quite so bad there. Just tell them you are an undocumented archeaolgist... image that should work. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakewood,on Nyanza Rd...sure miss the old place.
  • Options
    I lived in Kent for 3 yrs.

I do miss it.