Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Merc folks, where did all the Red go?

I was just looking at the Mercury Registry Set and I noticed ZERO red there. I guess it is because PCGS has not updated for a few days, but it seems odd. I checked the Modern Type set and saw a number of updated entries there.

I know I added two coins on Friday night and yes, it is supposed to take 3 business days to update, but I have never seen the Mercury Registry with NO updated sets.

Thoughts?
Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Comments

• Options
    Wow, not only no red in the Merc area, but no responses in an hour and a half. Did the rest of the guys go on vacation and forget to tell you, or did they finally start their own board. image

I know that you are seeing a lot of red in the Modern Type because we finally have a feel for what PCGS is about to do and are scrambling to get prepared for the changes.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    I'm waiting for my latest (and first) submissions to come back. I sent in my 16D, 42/1 and 42/1D for grading. Once they come back, I'll add them to my tiny little set. And, who knows, if I like the results of my submission, I may send in some more. I have some awfully pretty raw Mercs that can be slabbed...image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    I should have some red soon in the Type sets myself. Hey Keith have you heard any news from BJ lately?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Bill,

The updates just occurred for two items I added on Friday. I dont know when you put yours in the system. I am thinking that the Update flag goes away via a timer of some sort and it had been a few days since the program was run.

Anyway, our favorite color is back.
  • Options
    Mine just showed up a few minutes ago. BJ must be updating now.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Does BJ update or Carol update? It probably dosen't matter, but I was wondering.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I probably will be putting some Red on my Mercs late this week. Looking to catch and pass Fairlaneman.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im realy PO'd i was high bidder on teletrade at closing only to find out the seller bought back the coin? My bid was over opening ?and right at CDN ask.I don't think i will be doing business with them unless they change there policy.On a good note Goose had PM'd me about some nice looking coins he had seen at the show from Larry Whitlow?I gave him my list and he will get back with me in AM=checker board ?Hope so.Good luck to all.Al
  • Options
    tggrtggr Posts: 748
    Hey Deep,
    Congrats I see you bumped me back one. Did you smile on the way by `?? HE HE .
    Way to go.
    The red is back.

Rayimageimageimage
  • Options
    Ray,

We have been dancing around the 20 / 19 spots for a while. I think we will both soon be passed by one of the rising stars (must be nice to post 4 at a time). However, if we keep going at this rate we will soon be bumping up against the middle of the pack. Keep going my friend and we shall drive each other into the top 10 one day in the distant future.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Looking to Catch and Pass Fairlaneman." Come on now Jon. I worked VERY Hard to get There.image Additions to My set will come Very Slowly from now on. Mostly Big Dollar (For Me) Coins left. If only I could un-load a few NGC Coins then Maybe a couple would be slipped in.image
      Did add a couple to the NB and Toned Set but they Did Not show up today.image
        As Always "Adolph's Little Lady Rules": Ken
      1. Options
        Ken,

In the spirit of helping you (and me...LOL) out, I have a nice white 1935 MS66 Merc for sale on the BST board. I figured you might want to add to your NB collection while you save up for the big boys you need for your main set. This might help you make up some ground on some of the other sets as you add to your NB set.
      2. Options
        MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
        I, too, am looking to add a coin and I, too, am looking to pass Fairlaneman. As a matter of fact, nothing personal Ken, but my guess is that only 3 of the Merc collectors are not currently looking to pass you...sets number 1, 2, and 3! Well, maybe your NB set isn't diligently seeking to pass your first set, so perhaps there are 4 sets that aren't looking to pass. Now, whether I ever pass Ken...well, I am sure as heck NOT going to hold my breath.

Mark
        Mark

3. Options
        Rick:
          Would Like to help you out on the 35P but a Dime came up for sale on eBay that I think I want. Its a 19.......... Opps Can't say. Last time I opened My Mouth a 1939S went else where !!image
            Mark:
              You are making Me feel like the Fox in a Fox Hunt. He (The Fox) Runs,Hides, and Leads Everyone on a Merry and Enjoyable Chase but in the End gets Caught.
                More than Likely this will happen also in the Registry.imageimageimage
                  Take Care: Ken
                1. Options
                  CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
                  I hope add some red to the Merc chart later this week. If they don't arrive by Friday, I'll definitely have some coins to add next week, and maybe move up a notch or two. image

Jim
                  Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
                2. Options
                  Ken,

I understand completely... I am saving up to bid high on a 1926-S on eBay right now. Ohhh, I guess I will let you win that one as I just bought a nice 30-S last week. I need to see some red next to your name soon. Good luck!!
                3. Options
                  Rick:
                    Theres a 26S on Ebay ? I must have missed that one.image Must Go To Work so I'll check Ebay when I get home.image Thanks for the Tip.image
                      Have a Nice Day Everyone: Ken
                    1. Options
                      Ken,

To save you looking, here is the reference on eBay for the 1926-S

1926-S US Mercury Dime PCGS graded MS63
                      Item # 1342167305

Good luck! I know this is one you are looking for. Much better than chasing an XF1921....LOL
                    2. Options
                      I have a question that may have already been asked, but here goes.

How are set grades calculated for Mercs? image

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
                    3. Options
                      Right now the Mercury set is not weighted so the total points are fairly easy to calculate. Just add up all the point you have for each coin, i.e 66 + 67 and divide by 77 (the number of coins in the set). You must subtract 2 points for each coin that is not full bands.

When you have the complete set, then the set points will equal the average grade, except that we will be weighted in a couple of months and then it all changes some. To illustrate my point, if you look at the top two sets, the two numbers are the same as they are not missing any coins.

I hope this helps, I can be very obtuse at times.
                    4. Options
                      And for the optional coins, like the 2 overdates, nothing gets added or subracted?

Also just to make sure I understand this correctly...
                      AG03, VF30, VF35, MS65FB = 127 (since the AG03 is not FB, it would only count as 1, the VF30 as 28 and the VF35 as 33, I think...)

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
                    5. Options
                      Beth
                      The red + is as you say optional and has no weight .Means nothing except for the collector.Al
                    6. Options
                      ??? Will There Be RED Tomorrow or Friday???
                        imageimageimageimage
                          I Think So !!
                            Take Care: Ken
                          1. Options
                            I should have clarified the non Full Bands deduction. It is my understanding (and I may be wrong here) that the 2 point deduction is only on MS coins or those 60 and above on the Shelton scale.

Thus an MS60 non FB would rate the same as an AU58 coin. If you look at the rating of my set, it is 64.xx and all my coins are 66 and 67. There is a two point deduction on all the coins there.

I hope that explains it better.

Ken, I will be watching to see the RED under your sets soon! Don't be shy, what is in the wings?
                          2. Options
                            CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
                            I thought I'd have a coin to add this week, but I got a call from the seller today, saying that they had sold the coin weeks ago and forgot to remove it from their inventory. They've searched, but have been unable to find a replacement. I've had numerous dealings with them over the past 2 years, and have promised to make it up to me on my next order.

Barring any further mishaps, I should have 4 Merc's to add next week, but one of them is a variety and won't count toward my set's ranking.

Jim
                            Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
                          3. Options
                            I have a few coming next week from Larry Whitlow for evaluation,in which i thought was real nice of him.
                            Maybe some red,Geeez i cant keep my mind on this ,im watching raiders of the lost ark for about the 10 timeimage.Later guy's and good night.Al
                          4. Options
                            ................................................................IT's FRIDAY......................................................................
                              Is a New Topic going to be Started or is this one to be Continued ? Maybe a Poll is needed for this.
                                Have a Nice Day see you at about 5 PM Pacific Standard Time.
                                  Ken
                                    Edit: Because I could Not Spell "See" correctly. Not a Good Start for the Day.image
                                  1. Options
                                    Ken,

Until someone starts a new Merc thread, I will help keep this one going. I see you are bidding on the 1926-S on eBay. Where do you think the reserve is for an MS63? Good luck on that coin!

As to the Red factor, I just finished getting my first problem coin corrected with PCGS. I bought a 1935-D MS66 coin from Heritage and the certification number did not appear in their data base when I tried to enter it. No, it was not one of the ones starting with 50. It took 2 days to get fixed, but I should have an update on Monday or Tuesday.

I always seem to add a coin right after they do an update.

Who else is adding? Pat Vetter, I know you have some coming....
                                  2. Options
                                    Ken,
                                    I have 3 coming from Larry and one in grading as of now.There is one other i was going to bid on Ebay,from Marino(heritage)24-D but looked to have a gash below the eye.I emailed him and he said SEEMS? to be on holder.Hmmmcant figure that one out=no bid.Al
                                  3. Options
                                    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
                                    Well, I have 1 new coin and 1 minor up-grade coming. These are coins that ultimately will reside in my son's collection, but until he does something remarkable (eg, all A's and B+'s on his report card) I will hang onto them. And, I figured that because they are mine until I give them to him...I might as well as add them to my collection. Plus, even if he does pull all high grades, I still won't give them to him until I have better replacements for me. After all, grades are one thing, but coins are something else!

Mark
                                    Mark