Home Metal Detecting
Options

July 12, 2010 finds: 1821 Large Cent

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
WOO HOO!! My first Large Cent of the year. Went to a place that looks to only be from around 1900 - and no other coins were older than a lincoln memorial!

She's in rough shape and won't win any beauty pageants, but I love these things! I started cleaning with hydrogen peroxide but stopped for fear of making it worse. Doesn't look like it did any harm though.

Found a few other goodies, but haven't taken pics yet - nothing else too exciting.

It's odd, I found two large cents last year, and one this year, and the dates were 1816, 1817 and 1821. I'm beginning to think this design was the only one to be lost!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool... EVOO soak takes a long, long time, but works. Hot peroxide should not harm the coin, but will take off the excess crud quickly. You have a good area for those, is is all in the same vicinity? HH Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool... EVOO soak takes a long, long time, but works. Hot peroxide should not harm the coin, but will take off the excess crud quickly. You have a good area for those, is is all in the same vicinity? HH Cheers, RickO >>

Ricko, the Rachel Ray of the boards.image
    Paul
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

A piece of history recoveredimage
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very cool... EVOO soak takes a long, long time, but works. Hot peroxide should not harm the coin, but will take off the excess crud quickly. You have a good area for those, is is all in the same vicinity? HH Cheers, RickO >>

Actually, each of the three was found in a different town. I'll try continuing to clean it with hot peroxide. Cross your fingers!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Ricko, the Rachel Ray of the boards"
    You should taste my lasagna.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thats a nice find. hope ya get many more image. i got a 62 roosevelt this morning so theres no complaints image
  • Options
    Awesome discovery.