Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Annual Birthday Post - 1892 Proof Set

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
I post this set once per year on my birthday... it's a gift that just keeps on giving.

This set is believed to have been hand picked by mint officials to display at the official mint booth at the 1892 Columbian Expo in Chicago. Other than to be graded by PCGS, this set has never left Chicago. I purchased from Harlan Berk, LTD... Bob Greenstein. (Thanks Bob... best decision I have ever made in buying coins)

Photos done by John Baumgart (Messydesk)!!! Thanks John... great photo skills!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Very nice set image
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous image
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

What the!?

Adoption papers are now in process! Hi dad! image
  • Options
    mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's some nice dcams there. Please update with the Pcgs grades.
  • Options
    Grades are as follows:

Dollar Proof 68DCAM
    Half Proof 67DCAM
    Quarter Proof 67DCAM
    Dime Proof 68CAM
    Nickel Proof 66CAM
    Cent Proof 66RD
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing to say but WOW!
    What is the set housed in?
    Any plans on getting them slabbed?
    I personally would leave them raw, just becauseimage
    Nice pics too.
    scott

EDIT: Never mind, thought they were raw.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning "Windycity"! Happy Birthday...

ABimage
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday ! As the owner of your 1881 Proof set, I have to say you have some good taste in coins ! Many happy returns.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incredible proof set! very cool pedigree too. image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162

SUPER EXAMPLES!!!!!
  • Options
    Outstanding set. Happy Birthday

Tom
  • Options
    Happy Birthday!

What an increadible set.
    Currently Working on:
    U.S. Type Set
    Classic Silver Commemoratives
    Modern Commemorative 50c, $1 sivler
    Modern Gold Commemoratives
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always a great set to see.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always find it amazing that even single proof coins survive from this era in this state of preservation, but to find an entire year set of silver, nickel and copper in such a state even more impressive. They look like mighty cool coins and an even cooler set.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These must be fakes...they are all the same size! image

I always have the same question on sets as nice as this: was this an original set, or put together from multiple sets over time? I assume the latter, but always hope for the former.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Windycity and thanks for posting that gorgeous and well matched proof set!!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage Happy Birthday, and very impressive proof set. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday! Gorgeous set that was a pleasure to see in person.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Just wow!

Happy birthday, Pat! image
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunning set! Congratulations. And happy birthday.
    Lance.
  • Options
    RMPS,

While I have not yet found the "smoking gun" evidence proving this set was displayed at the Columbian Expo, we do know for certain that the set is an original set that has been together since 1892. The first owner was a Chicago business man who passed it on to future generations. I was owned by the family for 100 years. The family sold it to Harlan Berk, LTD. in the early 1990's. Berk sold it to a local collector who sold it back to Berk about 10 years later... I bought it from Berk at that time. Set is original... all six coins!
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW!!! That's beautiful!!!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome set!
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Windycity - very attractive set [ to say the least ] - and hope you have a wonderful birthday !!

[Messydesk - good job - glad to see you had prior practice on Barbers !! LOL ]

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy birthday. Were you born in 1892? image If so, good luck blowing out those candles.
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>RMPS,

While I have not yet found the "smoking gun" evidence proving this set was displayed at the Columbian Expo, we do know for certain that the set is an original set that has been together since 1892. The first owner was a Chicago business man who passed it on to future generations. I was owned by the family for 100 years. The family sold it to Harlan Berk, LTD. in the early 1990's. Berk sold it to a local collector who sold it back to Berk about 10 years later... I bought it from Berk at that time. Set is original... all six coins! >>

That is too cool! What a treasure.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holey Cow, I can't believe you are 118 years old! image

Beautiful Set!

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm willing to trade ya even up for my birth set....1952...even with that weak nickel in your set....and a very happy birthdayimage
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    Wonderful.
  • Options
    richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My exact words when we first bought this set in: "WOW!"
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    What an absolutely amazing set!!! Thanks for sharing it, and Happy Birthday!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking proof set.image
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply stunning. I look forward to viewing it as often as possible. Thank you for sharing...................MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Beautiful set. Just gorgeous. Outstanding.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    thanks for sharing !!
    WILL WORK FOR CENTS, QUARTERS, HALVES, DOLLARS....

1879-O{Rev}: 1st coin of my "secret set"
    imagemy eBay
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday,Absolutely Amazing set.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always drool looking at the pictures of this 1892 proof set. High quality coins in comprising a beautiful set.

A combination of:

1. the extremely limited mintages of proof coins prior to 1936;

2. the loss of and/or damage to these pre 1936 proof coins resulting on even smaller numbers of coins existing in high grades [such as the coins in the pictured sets];

3. the limited availability in the market place of coins of such high quality; and

4. the market values of such high quality coins being beyond the ability of most collectors to pay

result in most collectors having little if any chance of acquiring a proof set such as that pictured in the OP.

So, one could fast forward to the proofs of 1936-1942 and try to put together a similar set. More coins from the 1936-1942 era exist, but very few of them are Cameo. Many dates have no Cameos at all and I do not think that there are any Cameo quarters from the 1936-1942 era. So in all likelihood it is not possible to acquire a 1936-1942 proof set even remotely close to the quality of the 1892 set in the OP.

So, one needs to go to the 1950-1970 era if you want to stand a chance of acquiring a proof or SMS set that is comparable in quality to the 1892 set in the OP.

Even the 1950-1970 era poses difficulty. For some years a DCAM set is not possible and for some years and denominations grades above 67 do not exist. However, the 1950-70 era of proof and SMS cameos is a fun area of the hobby pool to play in. High quality sets are possible and even within reach of collectors with more modest budgets. 1950 sets are now 61 years old. In another 20-30 years high quality sets from the 1950s may be viewed in the same way the 1892 set is viewed now.
  • Options
    AhrensdadAhrensdad Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Great set. Thanks for sharing...

Happy Birthday!
    Successful BST Transactions with: WTCG, Ikenefic, Twincam, InternetJunky, bestday, 1twobits, Geoman x4, Blackhawk, Robb, nederveit, mesquite, sinin1, CommemDude, Gerard, sebrown, Guitarwes, Commoncents05, tychojoe, adriana, SeaEagleCoins, ndgoflo, stone, vikingdude, golfer72, kameo, Scotty1418, Tdec1000, Sportsmoderator1 and many others.

Please visit my website Millcitynumismatics.com
  • Options
    love the quarter and the cent!!
    Jake Blackman
    blackman.jake@gmail.com
    704-719-6866
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭
    This set is a jawdropper for sure.image

Mike
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! I believe I could sit and look at those coins inhand for days on end. Thank you for sharing. Hope you have many more bdays.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    I am once again amazed at how beautiful coins can be. This place rocks! Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday.
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super!image
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

for a Happy Birthday
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file