Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Brazilian Silver 640 Reis

Hi,
I'm a new member, from Brazil and I'd like to share my interest.
Take a look and enjoy this amazing coin:

http://eepnumismatica.com/coins/brazil/rare-low-crown-1799-b-brazil-portugal-640-reis-aunc

best regards,

Pauloimage

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always been happy with this vendor, but perhaps the image should not have been presented as an offering.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    I'm just a collector! My preference is brazilian silver coins. The design are amazing, in my opinion.

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Bemvindo, Paulo! Where are you in Brazil?

I also enjoy collecting Brazilian coins, especially from the Bahia mint, when I can afford them.

I agree that it's a very nice coin, and rare as well, but I don't think a U.S. collector would consider it AU. PCGS would probably grade it as XF.
  • Options
    PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Paulo, may I possibly get hi-res pictures of this coin for use in a possible article? See this thread.

If so, please PM me with links to the hi-res pictures that I can download and a full name I can use for credits. Thanks!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that reverse design looks very modern. I'm surprised to see such on a coin of that age.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm living in Sao Paulo.
    I like Brazilian silver coins from this period. The designs are amazing, 960 Reis, 320 Reis, 160, 80 and 640 Reis are all great!
    I have already bought some coins from this seller and I am very pleased.

Regards,
    Pauloimage
  • Options
    Hi Paulo,
    I'm new to this forum and brazilian as your are. I have bought some coins from this dealer and I'm very satisfied. image
    I have received some coins from my grandfather and sometimes I can buy a little bit to increase my collection.
    Hope we will share information.

Sincerely,
    Mari
  • Options
    Hi Prethen!
    I'm not certain about having pictures. Maybe, if you could contact this people from the site administration.
    Good luck! Regards, Paulo. image
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could you "be happy with vendor" ?? when he obviously is misrepresenting his coins.
    I have no clue who he is, but from this one listing he's off by more then just a tad.
    This one will grade VF35 or EF40 at best, and if so on the low lowwww scale.
    How can a proffesional grade this ALMOST UNC??
    Sorry for the attitude, I'm just sick of the way coins are being sold and a slew of collectors are getting reamed royally shafted.
    When it comes to selling the s--t will hit the fan! I was there, been there, done that and it happens.

Ok, I'm better now image

• Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How could you "be happy with vendor" ?? when he obviously is misrepresenting his coins.
    I have no clue who he is, but from this one listing he's off by more then just a tad.
    This one will grade VF35 or EF40 at best, and if so on the low lowwww scale.
    How can a proffesional grade this ALMOST UNC??
    Sorry for the attitude, I'm just sick of the way coins are being sold and a slew of collectors are getting reamed royally shafted.
    When it comes to selling the s--t will hit the fan! I was there, been there, done that and it happens.

Ok, I'm better now image >>

I agree with you, EF40 on this coin would be a giftimage

3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not buy based on the description alone. My satisfaction is based on what I can actually see from the image. I then decide whether it is worth the price. In short, I am not buying the description. I buy the coin that I can see. I have purchased mostly through ebay. If I have won the coin, it has been won at my price.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    EF40 is about right for that coin. There's some uneven wear that's probably attributable to strike. I'd probably be a buyer if it was priced as an EF, because it's a scarce date/mint/type and is a fairly clean example.

But no way is it AU, and I'm uncomfortable with a seller who would say it is.
  • Options
    I'm glad cause all the coins I have bought from this seller are great and I agree with Harasha, I'm not interested in buying words, I should look at the pictures and the price.

regards, Paulo.
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paulo I don't know who you are but you and Mari seem to have just come on board..I'll refrain from what my mind nogs are telling me from the get go, and I won't say a word about coincidence either.......but that aside regardless welcome to the darksideimage
    That said, I took a look at this guys site - I happen to like how he lists his coins and the enlargement/magnifier definetly is a big boost to his/her integrity. The part that bugged me was what I stated. A gentleman with such a fine site and obviously not looking to hide anything should know better then to advertise this piece as aunc period end of story.
    In addition you state how happy you are - super I hope so, and hope that those you bought where not graded as such - because if they were - you will never get the money you paid or those that inherit your coins will have said coin sold as aunc which is really a VF/EF (ok ok EF40image and you get the picture.

Marc
  • Options
    I'm trying to learn by discussing and sharing information because I’m interested in silver coins.
    I'm not an expert. My point is to talk about the strikes, beauty of the lines, old silver coins. image
    But, it seems there are many people looking for grading. Whatever, it happens.

As for the dark thing, my favorite rock album is "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd. image

Regards, Paulo
  • Options
    Armillary sphere:
    Old instrument, formerly useful in studies of Cosmosgrafia and Astronomical Geography.
    Under the name annulet, was the instrument used by Hipparchus, Ptolemy and all the ancient astronomers; reached Tycho Brahe, the services provided in astronomical observations.
    The design of the armillary sphere was adopted as a symbol of navigation in the arms of Portugal, where it became part of the coat of arms of Brazil monarchy.
    SUBQ. SIGN. NATA. STAB. (Under this sign are born and remain).
    One word at each angle of the cross, written from right to left and from top to bottom.
  • Options
    Obrigado, Paulo!

The sphere is superimposed on a Jerusalem cross, one of the symbols of the Knights Templar adopted by the Portuguese. Many of the surviving Templars came into the service of the Portuguese crown as the Knights of Christ.
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Paulo and Mari. Thanks for sharing your interest in Brazilian silver. I too enjoy the design and the history behind the coin.
    I have had the pleasure of visiting Sao Paulo. Great food and nice scenary.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Paolo, hi Mari. I don't collect Brazilian coins, but you can always ask newsman about them.

I simply enjoy some recent Brazilian movies, such as Tropa de Elite that I watched yesterday. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Paolo, hi Mari. I don't collect Brazilian coins, but you can always ask newsman about them.

I simply enjoy some recent Brazilian movies, such as Tropa de Elite that I watched yesterday. image >>

I can't wait to see Tropa de Elite -- I've heard a lot about it. You might also want to catch Cidade Baixa -- a very enjoyable film by a family friend of ours.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a separate forum to Buy-Sell-Trade world coins. That's where the OP's post belongs.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I don't think this was meant as a sale thread.
  • Options
    Hi, newsman and
    dizzlecc!
    Thank you all! Yes, I'm interested on silver coins and, of course, brazilian silver coins. I would like to share some information about the history:

First Coins in Brazil
    In the early colonial period, the Brazilian circulating was being formed aleatory, with the coins brought by settlers, squatters and pirates who traded on the Brazilian coast. Thus, alongside the Portuguese coins, circulated coins from different nationalities, with their equivalence in terms of its intrinsic value (metal content).

Starting in 1580, with the formation of the Iberian Union, there was a large inflow of Spanish silver coins (reales), from Peru, related to the flourishing trade developed through the River Plate. Until the late seventeenth century, the Spanish Reales were the most expressive part of the money in circulation in Brazil.

Portuguese coins circulating in Portugal and Brazil were the same, coming from different reigns. Minted in gold, silver and copper, these coins had their values set in Reis and sometimes had names, such as Portuguese, Cruzado, Saint Vincent, Tostao, Vintém. The currency of 1 Real, unity of the monetary system, was minted in copper.
  • Options
    Regarding Brazilian movies, Tropa de Elite is great! Thx Dimitri.
    About my city, take a look: Sao Paulo

Paulo
  • Options

<< <i>Regarding Brazilian movies, Tropa de Elite is great! Thx Dimitri.
    About my city, take a look: Sao Paulo

Paulo >>

Sao Paulo is a beautiful city. Have you been to the Itau Bank numismatic museum on Avenida Paulista? Some wonderful coins there.

Link
  • Options
    I've been there twice. On the first visit, with a group of 10 people then I came back alone. It's an incredible place!image
  • Options
    About "Carimbo de Minas" over Spanish 8 Reales and Patacao (amazing silver coins):

When D. Joao ( Prince Regent) came to Brail in 1808, were legally circulating in the country, coins of gold, silver and copper.. Among the official silver coins were the 80, 160, 320 and 640 Réis. Also circulated at the time, a variety of foreign silver coins. These coins originated in Spain and its American colonies (Bolivia, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Mexico and Guatemala).
    Knowed as Spanish Pesos, Hispanic-American coins of 8 Reales circulated worth 320 Réis at first, to 750 Reis when their circulation was prohibited.
    Then, the Crown has determined that the 8 Reales were collected and on November 9, 1808 ordered that they be sent to 4 mint houses on Minas Gerais (Vila Rica, Sabara, Serro Frio and Rio das Mortes),
    Emerged as the countermark bifacial and circular, about 17mm in diameter, and bounded by a square of radial lines, and on the obverse the shield surmounted by the Portuguese Royal Crown topped by Latin Cross, flanked by two laurel fruited branches where, under the intersection of the branches, reads the value 960.
    In November 1809, was created the currency "three Patacas" or "Patacao (960 reis), putting an end to the application of countermark in Spanish dollars.
    Then, since its establishment in October 1808 until the creation of the coin "three Patacas" the application of countermark 960 Reis, better known as Carimbo de Minas, was limited to the period from November 1808 to December 1809 (almost a year).
  • Options
    What's a pataca? A made up word?

In my teenage years, a biker friend of mine was nicknamed "pataca". His real nick was patata, (potatoe) because of his body build, but the cops were mistaken, misheard the nick and named him Pataca, which stuck with him to this day. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    A "pataca" is a very old unit of money from Portugal. The word probably has an even more ancient meaning, but I don't know it.
  • Options
    "pataca" name used for Mexican 8 Reales and for the Brazilian silver coins of 320 Reis, the origin I don't know. Also used for coins on Portuguese Timor and Macao. Presently, the Pataca is the currency used in Macao.

and Dimitri, coming soon Tropa de Elite 2, next October.
  • Options
    Thanks Paolo. Looks like another hit, and a must see for me.

However, the problem with sequels, is that the characters are already established, and known to the viewer. In the first movie, Andre Matias (the black recruit) went through a lot of soul searching before he ended up replacing Captain Nascimento. His friend Neto who died delivering the eye glasses to the kid (that turned out to be the tipping point for Matias) was more simple and straightforward. We even get a few glimpses in the Captain's private life, and that balance is the difference between a Rambo styled action movie and a memorable action movie.

That's my assesssment of the trailer as a self designated cinephile. image But it looks very promising,including the Prison Break part!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Carimbo Mato Grosso (Mato Grosso Countermark) –This countermark bifacial and circular, approximately 17mm in diameter and bounded by a square of radial lines, taking on the obverse the shield surmounted by the Portuguese crown, topped by simple Latin cross. Legend has ring positioned below the shield with the words "MATO GROSSO” and does not have the value 960 as the "Carimbo de Minas." Established under the Royal Provision of April 11, 1818 in order to countermark, at the house foundry Vila Bela, the Hispanic American coins that circulated in the region.
    When this countermark was created, the "Carimbo de Minas" no longer existed. Note that the countermark MATO GROSSO came 10 years after the creation of the famous "Carimbo de Minas". There are very few copies that can be read clearly, the legend MATO GROSSO. Copies are known over CAROLUS III - POTOSI, FERDINAND VII - POTOSI and on SOL ARGENTINO, all equally rare.
  • Options
    brasssssiilllllll!

luv santa catarina!

women!image
    Singapore & Hong Kong March/April
    Hong kong/Long Beach JUNE Table #838
    MACAU
    emgworldwide@gmail.com
    Cell: 512.808.3197
    EMERGING MARKET GROUP
    PCGS, NGC, CCE & NCS, CGC, PSA, Auth. Dealer
  • Options