Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need some opinions.......Which 1817/3 CBH would you sell and which would you keep?

drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have been fortunate enough to acquire two outstanding 1817/3 CBH's in PCGS AU53 since I started collecting CBH's a few years ago and unfortunately, I need to part with one of them. Believe me, I am not happy about needing to sell one of them but I have come across another CBH that I would very much like to add to my collection and so one of these lovely ladies HAS to go. I have not decided how to sell it (ebay, dealer, auction, BST, etc) but the first step for me is deciding which one I will sell.

So, if you owned both of these CBH's, which one would you be LEAST disappointed in selling?

Thanks in advance for any advice and opinions you can offer.

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Really tough choice!! I'd probably sell coin #2.
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    To me, from the pics alone, number one would be my choice to keep.
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like number one MUCH better.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are very nice,but from the pics I like #1 the best.Also from what I have seen of the other coins in your set,#1 matches better with the overall look of the other coins.
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>To my eyes:

#1 has better color
    #2 has better detail

so it makes it a tough choice.
    Which is more important to you, color or meat? >>

I agree with the above analysis.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Al,

You hit it right on the head!!

If you look at my CBH Registry set below, you will undoubtedly say, I like color, however between these two 1817/3's I am soooo torn. I like the bottom one for the slightly better detail. I just wish it had more color.

Ughhh, this is gonna be tough image
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    I like #2 better
  • Options
    raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    Go with your heart. COLOR SELLS!!!! Coin #2 IS better stuckly, but, they are BOTH in PCGS AU 53 holders, right? SO, price should be the same? LOL Eye appeal is everything. Most of the busties are either crusty grey(nothing wrong with that). BUT, a vast majority have been cleaned/dipped, which IS acceptable. Color is original and takes YEARS!!!! Dipping, a few seconds. Please let us know. By the way, I wouldn't mind a PCGS one in my set. Mine is raw, as are all but one of my Dad's. His was a complete XF+ set, including the 15/2. Guess why I started?
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am leaning twords #2, but very difficult to decide
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure like to see a clasp on a 17/3

I would keep # 2 because of the strike, color is secondary to me.

Both coins are winners though DDM
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the first one, so you should get rid of it (by sending to me image )

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Sometimes, the more expert advice one gets, the more confused

one tends to become.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should be ashamed for having two lovely AU 17/3's. Flip a coin and offer the loser as a giveaway at 2500 posts. I sure hope it's #1!
    Lance.
  • Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 631 ✭✭✭✭

I would say keep them both and try and find another way to finance the purchase of the other coin.

Keep in mind that this advice comes from a guy who always thinks he will upgrade and sell his lower grade duplicate but ends up keeping them both and then I repeat the cycle for a third coin. This is great for die states and die varieites but that is what I tell myself as an excuse for pure hoarding.

As for your specific question I think I would keep #1 but they are both very nice.

• Options
    Thanks all for your opinions.

The only thing I am absolutely 100% sure of now is that I am totally CONFUSED image

I happen to like both coins and feel they both have their strengths, however the fact still remains that I MUST sell one, so keeping both is NOT an option unfortunately image

Man, what did I get myself into image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Coin number one is likely AT, so sell it to me.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough choice - I would keep #1. Wish mine had that color!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Tough choice - I would keep #1. Wish mine had that color!

image >>

Thanks, wish mine had your STRIKE, wow, congrats on a beautiful 17/3!!!
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    I won't even try and influence your decision since I have never sold a coin. I keep everything I get my hands on. They are both lovely.
    Consider yourself lucky that you have to make such a choice.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tough choice - I would keep #1. Wish mine had that color!

image >>

Now you just posted that to make me drool......
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would go color
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because of the color, #1 is probably going to do better in the current marketplace. Many buyers will look past the coin's strike problems and possible unoriginal surfaces.

... but not me ...

I would keep #2 because it is consistently struck on both obverse and reverse and has better detail. It also appears to be original.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good news is, you probably won't have a problem selling either one image . I don't collect the series but if the choice were mine, based on the photos, I would keep #2.

JH
  • Options
    Any more opinions?

And, please state why you would choose one over the other.

Thanks everyone for your input.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I would keep #2. I like the better strike.

Comparatively speaking, I like the more detail in Liberty's hair and the more detail on the eagle's head and upper right wing.

Joe.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must just be my machine because the 2nd coin doesn't appear to me to be even as well struck at the top one--let alone better struck.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Though they're both really nice looking coins, I prefer the top one. The bottom has less color and less surface blemishes. But the bottom coin has better strike/more detail. Tough choice...
    Currently collecting Morgan Dollars and Seated Liberty Halves
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Lucky boy, with such problems...

Sell #1, stronger market for color at the moment, keep #2 which has more character. IMHO.

Let us know about the sale, OK?
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    OKbustchaser,

what parts of the bottom one looks weakly struck to you and what parts of the top one looks better struck.

Thanks
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OKbustchaser,

what parts of the bottom one looks weakly struck to you and what parts of the top one looks better struck.

Thanks >>

The star centers look to be much better struck up, there is better hair detail overall (other than the center curl and clasp), and then on the reverse there is better wing and olive branch detail. From the way the pics look on my work computer it is hard to believe the bottom one is in an AU holder.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    #1 would have to go
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Keep them both. Sell some common replaceable ones from the 30s instead
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭
    i'd also keep the top one.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like number one better.

But number two is very welcome at my house anytime.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tydye has the right idea

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    As also a proud owner of an 1817/3 I think both of your CBHs are winners. It seems clear to me that #1 has the eye appeal, and #2 has greater detail with a stronger strike. But considering #1 still has strong technical merits, I think if both were mine, I would keep #1. You can never go wrong with eye appeal. BTW, here is a photo of the obverse of my 1817/3 which is in an NGC-55 holder. Very very different look than both of your coins............

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So Dave, have we helped you decide or are we making it more difficult? Have you made up your mind?

I like the idea of keeping both but I guess that's not feasible.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Actually Lance, I think I'm still thoroughly confused but as I sit here, I have both in front of me and I think it's becoming a little clearer as to which one I will be keeping.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

• Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Ennie, meenie, minie, moe
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    Both are gorgeous, but I personally like #1 the best. I am a fan of color, and that one has loads of it!
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tough choice, but fortunate to have two ...

Honestly I would keep #1 based on the photo's, and my reason is simple

I want to look at #1 again and again, no matter what date it is

#2 I appreciate for it's original look, but I really only double take on it because of the date

just my two cents

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the pics i think coin #1 has way better eye appeal... And personally i like the full stars and talons... image No brainier coin #1... image

ABimage
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mean`t to say keep coin #1...

ABimage
  • Options
    Keep the first, sell the second
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I'd lay out all the CBHs together and keep whichever one complimented the collection.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    The second coin might have a point or two less actual wear on it. The OP must see something in hand that does not show up in the pictures. I have no experience with PCGS TruView pictures, but they must have some good, and some not so good, picture taking days.

Both coins look nice to me.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file