Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Here's a New One... a Red 1859 Indian Cent

Or so the seller states.

Auction Link
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I've seen many auctions for copper-nickel cents being described as "red". They are clearly clueless.

But I do find it a tad strange that a coin that is 88% copper has so little copper color.

Tom

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen those too and agree they must not know much about Indian cents. However, some copper nickel Indian cents do "look" reddish in color - so perhaps this one has that sort of toning to it in hand.
    Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My grand daughter just brought me a 1904 IHC she received in change where she works. It is in F condition, but cool to find in circulation. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I am wondering why PCGS does not identify RD,RB,BN on the 1859 cents. Anyone know why? Also that coin would be classified as Red from the pic anyway. Copper coins can get that yellowish tint and I have seen oodles of them classified as RD with that exact same color.
  • Options
    I just looked at the Redbook and saw that the Indians are copper-nickel thru 1864 so no color designations obviously. My dumb question. I have however seen that type of yellowish color called RD especially on Lincolns.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I have seen slabbed white cents with red, red-brown and brown color designations. Operator errors.
    Stuff happens.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    simply amazing stuff that people do that

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file