Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS Registered Mail Service has slowed to snail pace

7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
USPS Registered Mail service has slowed to a snail's pace and no one at the USPS can tell me why.....

Coast to coast travel used to take 4-6 days, now we are at 10+ days, my last submission to PCGS took 14 days to arrive

with this kind of service, no wonder why their budget is bleeding red.......

need a better service just as secure, can anyone suggest a better way?

Comments

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Express Mail insured. Under 8 oz. is $13.65 or flat rate is around $18. You automatically get the online tracking info, it is wayyyyyyyy faster (1 or 2 days) and the insurance is much cheaper than with the other options. I just used it on my latest shipment .

I gave up on Registered when my last two experiences with it tookwell over two weeks for delivery. I live only 65 miles south of Newport Beach and could have walked up my submission faster than the mail in those two cases...
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Express Mail insured. Under 8 oz. is $13.65 or flat rate is around $18. You automatically get the online tracking info, it is wayyyyyyyy faster (1 or 2 days) and the insurance is much cheaper than with the other options. I just used it on my latest shipment >>

the post office uses fedex for express. surprise ;-)
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My last couple registered packages have been way faster than expected.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    well blu

you are the exception. i send quite a few and the packages over the last two months have taken excessively long.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭

USPS Express Mail is a great service.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    Registered is getting slow. When it takes 4 days to get something from the same state its time for a different shipping method. For now on its over nite for me!
  • Options
    RedHerringRedHerring Posts: 2,077
    Under $2,000 and I use Priority Mail Insured. The $$ savings for Registered Mail under $2,000 is minimal.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>USPS Express Mail is a great service. >>

as long as it's 5k or under go express
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems to be some question on bullion when it comes to a claim with express, no first hand experience.

$5K insurance limit on express.
    $25K insurance limit on registered.

Express flat rate cardboard envelope is the way to go. If it fits, it ships. No express flat rate box available.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had to switch to express Ebay shipments for higher $ items becuase of this, or else get slammed on the DSR shipping time.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Last time I shipped registered I was told the slow down was due to the laying off of white collar workers, i.e., folks who can sign for registered items.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    Cost cuts.
  • Options
    Thats why they call it snail mail nuk nuk nuk... Sorry couldn't resist
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Thank you for the Tip image

Was fixin' to send a Priority / Registered pkg tomorrow & looks like it's gonna go EXPRESS instead.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Registered mail is notoriously slow. Priority and Express are better options.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    Registered/Priority just took 9 days to get from Colorado to Connecticut.
  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭

<< <i>USPS Registered Mail service has slowed to a snail's pace and no one at the USPS can tell me why..... >>

The people who answer the phones never know anything. They are just babysitters.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to seeing this thread this morning, I decided to send my quarterly special out express this afternoon.
    Too bad I timed it so poorly by sending it right before the holiday weekend image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to seeing this thread this morning, I decided to send my quarterly special out express this afternoon.
    Too bad I timed it so poorly by sending it right before the holiday weekend image >>

Me too!

They'll get it Friday afternoon and it won't get entered until probably Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday afternoon. I am such a procrastinating idiot as this has been sitting around for nearly a week!

Where's my badge?? image

BTW, the best bet with Express if 1st thing in the morning!

Or

Get a FedEx account.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Registered has to be signed for and logged by everyone who touches it.

My local postmaster is tracking one package all the way through to see where the holdup is........I have a funny feeling that for certain destinations they batch items.......hold them until there is sufficient quantity, but I hope not.......
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Express ended up being a couple of bucks more than registered (sent in my PCGS MS63BN 55DDO for the CC Special) but it got there before the guaranteed 3pm today and I saw that it was also signed for (picked up) just after 6pm. Not entered yet, but at least it should get entered in....hmmm...holiday weekend....maybe by next Thursday image
    Then, graded by....ooops....Boston ANA show.....maybe next quarter? image

All in all, I will still use registered for some things, but express for some other (and, for the lower items, still will use 1st class or priority).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    another slow delivery

east coast to west coast

mailed 6/22 arrived 7/3

11 days

where the h$ll are the packages sitting?
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just shipped my first registered package on Friday...from Florida to California. I was told PCGS would likely receive it in 7 calendar days even with the holiday. I am very interested to see....in any case, a lot of time will tell. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't think anybody can top my 17 days from Newport Beach to Escondido...that's 65 miles...3.8 miles per day...postal service by Galapagos Tortoise Express...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    another slow delivery
    east coast to west coast
    mailed 6/22 arrived 7/3
    11 days
    where the h$ll are the packages sitting?

All my incoming 9-12 Day REG packages have stayed 4-6 days in Jamaica Plains, NY. That's the bottleneck from what I can see.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    I guess the answer I hope to get from the USPS is why do they sit in one location more than one calendar day?

thats not service.
  • Options
    i've sent lots and lots of packages to pcgs

one went priority insured, the rest registered

one was lost

you guess which one.

but it used to take less than 7 days coast to coast, sometime 4-5 days max, now its 10-15 days regularly

for that service they should cut their fees in half
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Friday, July 2nd about 4pm in the lovely state of Florida I mailed a registered package to PCGS. They got it today...and that is with the holiday in there. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean it's slowed down?

Over 10 years ago, I can remember Registered Mail taking about two weeks to get from the middle of the country to the East Coast. To me, it sounds like the service is still about the same. Any time I send anything Registered Mail, I always figure 14 days in transit. Anything less is a pleasant surprise.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a crapshoot. 3+ weeks for something to go from here to the west coast, but only 3 days from Florida to here.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    Registered mail doesn't get delivered on any kind of schedule that can be counted on. Unlike, say... being able to count on there always being people who are surprised by registered mail's inconsistent delivery schedule. image
  • Options
    alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭✭
    registered mail sent to me on June 11 just rec'd on July 6
    very slow
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mailed an Express Mail order to PCGS on Tuesday.

Arrived on Wednesday.

Order received and logged in today,,, Thursday image

Total Items: 41
    Date Received: 7/8/2010
    Date Shipped: N/A
    Order Status: OK

Grandam image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, this morning we spoke with one of our East coast bullion suppliers about a Registered package we have been waiting for, and he told us that he heard that the Registry Department at the main post office here in Chicago is moving, and that all packages sent out from the Chicago area or received here from other areas are just sitting on the floor in mail tubs waiting for the move to finish before being processed.

Don't know if this would affect mail being sent from a different state to yet another state, but a lot of mail does come through Chicago.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    registered mail with it's hand installed tape, hand stamping, and usually hand addressing is an anachronism that I expect the USPS to replace any time now. It can vary from a few days to a month with no explanation why. I assume that if everyone along the trail from A to B in in that day, it moves quickly. If the keyholder in some intermediate post office goes on vacation, perhaps it just sits. I'm pretty sure that the clear direction in the USPS is security over pace of delivery for registered mail. --Jerry
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    When I use Registered Mail I allow 4 weeks and just patiently wait; you're almost never disappointed if you are patient and don't expect miracles.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I don't agree. I think it is moving just fine. I just sent a package from Chicago area to Albany, NY. Shipped June 30, delivered July 8. That's a full week and only 5 business days considering Monday as a holiday. I can deal with that.
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Post Office is in it's death throws.
    Nothing is for sure at this time.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't used registered mail in over 2 years for anything...Express mail, Priority or Parcel First class has been my choice, w/o, knock on wood, ever having a problem. I applaud PCGS in going the Priority Mail route in lieu of Registered.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    I sent a package registered this morning, when they cue it up the ask for what registered service you want and give the estimated delivery dates.

I picked registered Express and it takes only 4 days to get there. If you go with the cheapest service then it takes much longer. Express was only $5 more so it was worth it.
  • Options
    dorancoinsdorancoins Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Registered has to be signed for and logged by everyone who touches it.

My local postmaster is tracking one package all the way through to see where the holdup is........I have a funny feeling that for certain destinations they batch items.......hold them until there is sufficient quantity, but I hope not....... >>

Had that happen with some coins returning from ATS to get slabbed. I was not happy. And as usual, I complain about USPS waste.
    DORAN COINS - On Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), & www.dorancoins.net - UPCOMING SHOWS (tentative dates)- 10/8/2023 - Fairfield, IL, 11/5/2023 - Urbana, IL., 12/3/2023 - Mattoon, IL.
  • Options

<< <i>I sent a package registered this morning, when they cue it up the ask for what registered service you want and give the estimated delivery dates.

I picked registered Express and it takes only 4 days to get there. If you go with the cheapest service then it takes much longer. Express was only $5 more so it was worth it. >>

Never heard of "Registered Express"....... BTW Express only takes 1 to 2 days for most locations.
  • Options
    This is a common misconception.....

That Registered packages travel faster when upgraded to Priority or Express Service.....

They travel the same way, hand to hand, signed along the way.......confirmed by the USPS.

It sure looks like with the variation in delivery times posted on this thread, someone - somewhere - must not be doing their job "up to par"

What more could I expect from Govt employees......
  • Options
    7/8 I have sent via First Class Registered and Priority registered.

The First Class Registered is the one you must be using because they don't give an estimated Delivery Date.

With Priority registered they do give one and it is just a couple of days to arrive for only five dollars more.

Not sure why you think they use the same handling, when one travels triple as fast as the other.

Class: Priority Mail®
    Service(s): Registered Mail™

PS The regular registered mail burro can't handle all the packages anymore, better use Priority Registered.image

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>7/8 I have sent via First Class Registered and Priority registered.

The First Class Registered is the one you must be using because they don't give an estimated Delivery Date.

With Priority registered they do give one and it is just a couple of days to arrive for only five dollars more.

Not sure why you think they use the same handling, when one travels triple as fast as the other.

PS The regular registered mail burro can't handle all the packages anymore, better use Priority Registered.image
    >>

For anyone reading the above conflicting posts, 7/8 is 100% correct and HS is 100% wrong.
    For those that don't realize it, Priority Mail is part of 1st Class parcel service and is little more than a rate class. 1st Class parcels are shipped with Priority parcels on a "space available" basis. For the most part, Priority handling only comes into play during the holidays when space may be limited. 1st Class parcels default to the Priority fee schedule at 13+ ounces. Paying Priority rates for anything under 13 ounces is a windfall for the USPS.
    Registered Mail is handled entirely separate from 1st Class/Priority parcels and is the most secure form of shipping thru the USPS. Registered packages are shipped on the 1st Class/Priority fee schedule with an added fee for registration and insurance.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>7/8 I have sent via First Class Registered and Priority registered.

>>

For anyone reading the above conflicting posts, 7/8 is 100% correct and HS is 100% wrong.
    For those that don't realize it, Priority Mail is part of 1st Class parcel service and is little more than a rate class. 1st Class parcels are shipped with Priority parcels on a "space available" basis. For the most part, Priority handling only comes into play during the holidays when space may be limited. 1st Class parcels default to the Priority fee schedule at 13+ ounces. Paying Priority rates for anything under 13 ounces is a windfall for the USPS.
    Registered Mail is handled entirely separate from 1st Class/Priority parcels and is the most secure form of shipping thru the USPS. Registered packages are shipped on the 1st Class/Priority fee schedule with an added fee for registration and insurance. >>

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT.

Mailing out parcels or letters weighing less than 13 oz but insisting on the Priority Registered mail scale is a waste of $. There is no such service as "Express Registered Mail" in the US...It's all "Registered Snail Mail."
  • Options
    My Registered Priority package arrived on time in record speed , I know everyone here says otherwise but my package made the expected delivery date. This is the fastest I have ever had one make it to PCGS.

• Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭
    I sent three Registered packages out from MA on July 6. Two of them (TX and FL) were delivered on July 9. Four days later, the third one is still on its way to CA. Must be that nice weather in California.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file