Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kudos to the CCAC (and of course RWB)

I saw an article today that the CCAC has formed a subcommittee to assist Mr. Moy in achieving his goals for improved coin design. I wish them well in their efforts and sincerely hope Moy will listen to what they have to say. I also want to thank RWB for his efforts on behalf of collectors and for all the information he has shared with me.

CCAC Forms Subcommittee On Coin Design
Bob

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let us hope this golden opportunity is not squandered - I look forward to seeing some tangible results that will return art to our coinage. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let us hope this golden opportunity is not squandered - I look forward to seeing some tangible results that will return art to our coinage. Cheers, RickO >>

While I wish them luck, I am not holding my breath. In order to succeed, they will need to get dead people off our coins (won't happen), stop design by committee (not likely to happen), improve relief of coins (won't happen), stop politically correct designs (won't happen).

So you see, I have little faith anything positive can come from this effort.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Too bad Daniel Carr isn't part of the CCAC. He has a feel for well designed coins.
    Paul
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Let us hope this golden opportunity is not squandered - I look forward to seeing some tangible results that will return art to our coinage. Cheers, RickO >>

While I wish them luck, I am not holding my breath. In order to succeed, they will need to get dead people off our coins (won't happen), stop design by committee (not likely to happen), improve relief of coins (won't happen), stop politically correct designs (won't happen).

So you see, I have little faith anything positive can come from this effort. >>

...you're not raining on the parade, you're monsooning it. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just call me mr. positive! image
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just call me mr. positive! image >>

...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dream of the day when our coins are rid of dead president portraits...
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To RWB, I'm sorry, but I had a scheduling conflict and couldn't attend the CCAC meeting. I know Bill Fivaz was there. He'd be the person to get the rundown of the meeting.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    RWB is "The Man" but the Mint will do whatever they want regardless. Politics in play.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <bump>
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Thanks! We are all going to do our best to improve the process and the results.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks! We are all going to do our best to improve the process and the results. >>

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. "Subcommittee" in a bureaucratic context is never a promising word.

But I know RWB will give it his best shot!
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Well, I think this "sub committee" is equipped with torpedoes and cruise missiles.
  • Options
    Good! Fire when ready.
    Bob

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad Daniel Carr isn't part of the CCAC. He has a feel for well designed coins. >>

Thanks. But being in the CCAC or CFA is not really my thing. I'd rather design them than review them.
    I think Heidi Wastweet is on the CCAC ? She has a talent for sculpting very nice medals.

What the Mint needs is a review process for 3-D sculpted designs. Right now, all designs are reviewed
    in 2-D pencil drawing form.

The Mint also need to do away with the current process where one artist designs a coin, and usually a
    different artist (US Mint engraver) sculpts it. One artist should have control over the entire process for
    a particular coin. And only that one artist should do the design, sculpting, and revisions for it.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Too bad Daniel Carr isn't part of the CCAC. He has a feel for well designed coins. >>

Thanks. But being in the CCAC or CFA is not really my thing. I'd rather design them than review them.
    I think Heidi Wastweet is on the CCAC ? She has a talent for sculpting very nice medals.

What the Mint needs is a review process for 3-D sculpted designs. Right now, all designs are reviewed
    in 2-D pencil drawing form.

The Mint also need to do away with the current process where one artist designs a coin, and usually a
    different artist (US Mint engraver) sculpts it. One artist should have control over the entire process for
    a particular coin. And only that one artist should do the design, sculpting, and revisions for it. >>

Good point. The finished coins never have all those black shading lines on them to help flesh out the relief.......
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I also want to thank RWB for his efforts on behalf of collectors and for all the information he has shared with me. >>

And the rest of us too! image

RWB understand our classic designs.

But I do also like Daniel Carr's idea of

<< <i>What the Mint needs is a review process for 3-D sculpted designs. Right now, all designs are reviewed in 2-D pencil drawing form. >>

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no doubts Roger will do his best to help improve designs. Hopefully the rest of the subcommittee and the mint director will follow his lead.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file