Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln medal by Victor David Brenner

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
There were two works by Victor David Brenner that have been said to be the inspiration of the Lincoln cent. One is the Lincoln plaque, and the other is this medal. I recently acquired this in a token a medal auction, and I have to confess that this is the first example of this piece that I have seen in person. The obverse is very close to the bust of Lincoln that appears on the cent.

The reverse is wonderfully symbolic of Lincoln’s presidency. It shows a lone eagle standing a cliff above a raging ocean of violence and chaos with rays of hope filtering in from the sky above. The words, “Preserve Protect Defend” appear in the left field. Many people believe that this piece was Victor D. Brenner’s masterpiece. Here is a quote by Frank Higgins that appeared in the February 1909 edition of The Numismatist.

"The reverse of the medal in question exhibits a quality of medallic achievement which is beyond anything we have so far seen in plastic art ... This more than a medal. It is both a painting and a poem in metal."

The records show that the mint struck 120 of these medals in bronze in 1908.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Brenner's "Preserve, Protect, Defend" medal was struck by Gorham. They were intended to be held in a ornamental pen holder.

See Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 for photos, correspondence and quantities struck in bronze and silver.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    That back would make a good $1 coins reverse.
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brenner's "Preserve, Protect, Defend" medal was struck by Gorham. They were intended to be held in a ornamental pen holder.

See Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915 for photos, correspondence and quantities struck in bronze and silver. >>

From what I understand the pen holder is virtually impossible to find.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Yep. Brenner stopped production when he got the cent commission. He also admitted that he hadn't sold many because the price was too high.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file