Home Sports Talk
Options

No joke - several NFL teams considering JaMarcus Russell as a backup QB

How desperate are the Jets, Vikes and Cardinals to even be considering one of the biggest busts in NFL history as a backup QB? The price would have to be bargain basement at least.

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Crazy. The dude is a bust of epic proportions!
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stated before he would probably be invited to a camp - but it would be for training camp fodder.

I'd be surprised if not shocked if any team kept him past training camp, even if he looks relatively good in camp.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch are also available.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    He might be a good match for my Buffalo Bills.

Their offense is constructed around the concept that an NFL-calibre quarterback is optional.
    Capecards
  • Options
    For your continued hatred of my LSU brother, I have mailed you a box of my poo.

P.S. I had corn for dinner
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    he would be an improvement for several backup QB's in the league no question
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    Jeff George could do a better job.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    nothing wrong with giving the guy a second chance with a different coaching staff...

lets admit that the Raiders are not exactly flourishing with talent everywhere...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    While Jamarcus may not have the physical tools to start, he certainly can add his smarts and wisdom from the sidelines much like an assistant coach.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Jamarcus Russell > Curtis Painter......image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Why is it crazy to sign Russell? He has tools, and the price will be low. Remember, Bradshaw was not a Rhodes Scholar either. Teams bring in lots of players that do not work out. I am not an NFL fan, but if I were, I would be glad for my team to bring him in for a look. The upside is huge, and the downside is small.
  • Options

<< <i>Why is it crazy to sign Russell? He has tools, and the price will be low. Remember, Bradshaw was not a Rhodes Scholar either. Teams bring in lots of players that do not work out. I am not an NFL fan, but if I were, I would be glad for my team to bring him in for a look. The upside is huge, and the downside is small. >>

Why? Because of the old saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." This guy is a stone cold bust...yes, he may look relatively good in camp, but as soon as he would be signed and have the money locked up for himself, I believe he would go back to his old ways as before. I think it's just the opposite with him - the upside is virtually nil, and the downside is endless. He's a proven bust and it's not gonna change.
  • Options
    PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    Bradshaw was not a Rhodes Scholar... until you put him next to Jamarcus. Terry's no genius, but he's not a complete moron either. Why bring in a guy that has ZERO work ethic? To annoy the other guys in camp that are killing it to squeeze out a spot?
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why is it crazy to sign Russell? He has tools, and the price will be low. Remember, Bradshaw was not a Rhodes Scholar either. Teams bring in lots of players that do not work out. I am not an NFL fan, but if I were, I would be glad for my team to bring him in for a look. The upside is huge, and the downside is small. >>

Why? Because of the old saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." This guy is a stone cold bust...yes, he may look relatively good in camp, but as soon as he would be signed and have the money locked up for himself, I believe he would go back to his old ways as before. I think it's just the opposite with him - the upside is virtually nil, and the downside is endless. He's a proven bust and it's not gonna change. >>

maybe he'll have a change of heart and work hard? How is the downside endless if you pay him 250k? Release him if he doesn't look good... end of story.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    thedutymonthedutymon Posts: 4,323

<< <i>For your continued hatred of my LSU brother, I have mailed you a box of my poo.

P.S. I had corn for dinner >>

And Bill,

For your continued defense of that Worthless POS, I Have mailed you two Boxes of Crap with Colored Vegatables included. Please allow us Raiders fans to move on from one of the worst chapters in Raider Nation History in the last 10 years!!!!
    Thank You
    Neil N. Duty
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A team would be wise to move him to nose tackle and see what he can do. He's huge enough!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Why? Because of the old saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me." This guy is a stone cold bust...yes, he may look relatively good in camp, but as soon as he would be signed and have the money locked up for himself, I believe he would go back to his old ways as before. I think it's just the opposite with him - the upside is virtually nil, and the downside is endless. He's a proven bust and it's not gonna change. >>

maybe he'll have a change of heart and work hard? How is the downside endless if you pay him 250k? Release him if he doesn't look good... end of story.

John >>

Endless...a continuous waste of money on him...tying up a roster spot where another quarterback could be progressing and learning the system...and a constant cancer in the clubhouse with his "attitude". All that is a downside which can affect a team in an endless way until he is off the team...and with not signing another quarterback who may have proven to be good, it could impact the team for years even after he is released.

The "problem" is he might look good in camp and the team decides to keep him on the roster, and that in my opinion would be a huge mistake.

I hope Jerry Jones decides to invite him to camp. LOL
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭

<< <i>A team would be wise to move him to nose tackle and see what he can do. He's huge enough! >>

Alright, who let the baseball guy come in here. image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    As long as Al Davis is eating almost all the salary, I'm sure someone is desperate enough to hope he just needs a change of scenery.
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>As long as Al Davis is eating almost all the salary, I'm sure someone is desperate enough to hope he just needs a change of scenery. >>

Exactly...besides you need three QBs and two for the practice squad. He doesn't even need to rate in the top 100 to have some value. I imagine you would lose him if put on practice though.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    prob not anymore...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>prob not anymore...

image >>

No kidding. Drug Bust
  • Options
    I think NFL owners can "tolerate" a drug user (who stays clean while playing) at other positions that don't require nearly as much thinking - I mean look at Ricky Williams for example, but a drug user playing quarterback?...that is really bad for JaMarcus Russell's chance of getting back on an NFL team - it might even be checkmate.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WHOA .. SLOW DOWN JAMARCUS ...

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Jamarcus may have to do the Ricky Williams Canadian tour to get back into the NFL at this point.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set