Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Check out what I made today!! Error and counter-strike guys, come look!

coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
I made this in the Minting Mayhem mini-seminar at the ANA Convention today! =D It contains around 10 blanks. I actually forgot to photograph the other side, sorry!

And here's some others I did tonight.

-Paul

Comments

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way cool. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Just like the old Gallery Mint Museum at Summer Seminar -- stamping every scrap of metal in the place!
  • Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Did you realize that you just obliterated a couple of high value Morgan and Peace VAMs????

(You did determine that they weren't high interest VAMs before doing that, right?)
    Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although Cool they are not errors, they were made intentionaly .
    Errors are just that, an error. Although a few in the market place were probably made for fun at the mint.
  • Options
    Indeed they are not errors, but an educational way to show how errors are made.
    This is called the "Minting Mayhem" mini-seminar, run by Badger Mint. They are following on the footsteps of when Gallery Mint Museum ran the "Creative Errors" mini-seminar several years back, as witnessed by the designs below (noticed backwards 3rd "R" in "ERRORS"):

and here are the scraps:
  • Options
    Cool coins!

-Paul
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember going nuts with the Gallery Mint equipment at the Seminar a few years back, too. I got a better appreciation for how errors come to be, and some neat mementos.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are really cool. I did frown a little though when I saw the morgan and peace dollars. I guess the good thing is that they are common dates and look like circulated pieces.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750

<< <i>Did you realize that you just obliterated a couple of high value Morgan and Peace VAMs????

(You did determine that they weren't high interest VAMs before doing that, right?) >>

The second 1923 looks like VAM 1X. Not sure about the others.
  • Options
    I looked them up before I struck them. They're nothing special. Just average AU/BU dollars.

-Paul
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I conducted an open house for local coin club members at my Moonlight Mint,
    I instructed everyone to bring a common legal tender US dollar coin to stamp over.
    While I was busy doing the stamping, my helper was "rimming" the coins (reducing
    the diameter so that large dollar coins would fit in the 38mm collar).

Anyway, when an older gentleman came up to the press with his rimmed Morgan dollar
    for over-striking, I noticed that it was an 1880 VAM-1A "Knobbed 8". Those are fairly rare
    and this one was a late die state to boot. Too bad it had already been destroyed by the rimming.
    Oh well, the only thing to do at that point was to obliterate it (full obverse/reverse 250-ton over-strike).
    The good news was that it was a low-grade (G) specimen, like most of this VAM
  • Options
    Daniel,
    I've seen you use the term "rimming" a few times. What is the process? Is it squeezing the circumference of the coin, like turning a blank into a planchet with an upset mill? Or are you slicing off some metal to decrease the diameter?
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 11:23PM

Just ran across this. Very cool cluster @coinkid855!

I would love to make one of these!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2019 11:26PM

Cool!

Post to remind.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool indeed!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edix2001 said:
    Daniel,
    I've seen you use the term "rimming" a few times. What is the process? Is it squeezing the circumference of the coin, like turning a blank into a planchet with an upset mill? Or are you slicing off some metal to decrease the diameter?

I missed this thread the first time around.

By "rimming" I mean upset mill - to reduce the diameter slightly and to raise the rims a little bit prior to striking.

• Options
    dagingerbeastttdagingerbeasttt Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭

That's pretty neat, I'm curious are there any seminars like that or ANA clubs indiana?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh those poor coins.... :'( Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file