Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Variety Cross-Over Question

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am filling out some forms to send stuff in. I have questions about these two coins. One is in an NGC Holder and the Variety is noted on the holder and PCGS also recognizes this variety. On the form, do I have to check the variety attribution service and pay the $24....or do I just check Crossover and will that take care of it? The other coin is in an ANACS holder and the variety is also noted on the holder. I would prefer not to spend the extra $24 per coin if I do not have to. Thanks,

Greg
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is, yeah, you're going to pay. They have to verify it is attributed correctly, and that costs $24. Hope Im wrong. I always felt that variety attribution was WAY overpriced, given that you are rerquired to do all the research and TELL the grader exactly what he is looking at (including the cherrypicker guide#.)
    On the flipside, the jury is still out if you have to pay the attribution fees for a coin that already has a pcgs number. These would be the major varieties, ie 1955 ddo or 1942/1 dime.
    Hope this helps.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not think you have to put the crazy numbers of what you think the coin is.... just a DDO, DDR, RPM etc will work I think....the PCGS example has you writing 3-Leg for a Buffalo Nickel in the variety space.
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • TwincamTwincam Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Yes...you have to pay the attribution fee in addition to the grading fee for crossovers.
    PCGS does not assume the other service correctly attributed the variety.
  • QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Yup, crossover fee + 24 bucks. Been there done that.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I figured....maybe I was just praying too hard..... image

Greg
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

You also should put the complete variety name as it is in the CPG.

I also think $24 is a lot to pay when you have done all the work and
    they just have to look and verify that it is what you say it is.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You also should put the complete variety name as it is in the CPG.

they just have to look and verify that it is what you say it is. >>

Exactly!!! I can understand $24 if I'm sending in an 1878 8TF Morgan Dollar for VAM attribution and I just write a big ? on the form and they have to figure it out...

But when I'm submitting half a dozen Lincolns I have already attributed and have the FS # correctly spelled out on the forms, it shouldn't be $24... maybe half price as long as my attribution is correct, but charge me the full $24 if I'm wrong and they have to research further.
  • frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750
    I sent a crossover submission once with one of the coins having the variety on the label without paying the $24 attribution fee. My order was delayed and I got an email asking me to pay the $24 before it could be processed.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You also should put the complete variety name as it is in the CPG.

they just have to look and verify that it is what you say it is. >>

I totally agree and think there should be a variety "verification" fee of $10 for coins pre-attributed by another TPG.
    The other thing that rubs me in a NOT SO POSITIVE WAY is if ihe coin isn't the variety you think it is, why don't they put what variety it is?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
    PCGS won't even open the holder If there could be a doubt as to the variety. In the case of edge lettering on a presidential dollar.

More often than not, an NGC "Partial Edge" means there is a schuler edge lettering machine damage that may not be able to be seen without opening the holder.

They will just refuse to grade it AND charge you all of the fees.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS won't even open the holder If there could be a doubt as to the variety. In the case of edge lettering on a presidential dollar.

More often than not, an NGC "Partial Edge" means there is a schuler edge lettering machine damage that may not be able to be seen without opening the holder.

They will just refuse to grade it AND charge you all of the fees. >>

I've been tempted on more than one occasion to get an NGC Partial but never again. Thanks for the heads up Jim!

BTW, I have been burned on some older ANACS slabs and although it wasn't a financially painful experience, it was disappointing. (And Eye Opening)
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616

<< <i>... if ihe coin isn't the variety you think it is, why don't they put what variety it is? >>

Now that would be worth the $24!

The old ANACS had it right: two separate pricing tiers- one for variety attribution and a separate more expensive option for variety research.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes...you have to pay the attribution fee in addition to the grading fee for crossovers.
    PCGS does not assume the other service correctly attributed the variety. >>

Bingo!
    As a Morgan VAM nerd I've seen NGC get attributions wrong all the time. Even worse, not all TPGs see major varieties the same. For instance, there are a dozen different 1878 7/8TF VAMs. PCGS says five of them are "Strong" and the other seven are "Weak". ANACS and NGC don't agree; some of the coins they call "Strong" are what PCGS calls "Weak". VAM 41A comes to mind in this regard.
    When in doubt, don't.