Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin books and technology

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't have an extensive library of coin books, but, looking at the ones I do have, I got to wondering.....

They aren't light, they take up room. When I want something, I thumb through them. I know some of these books (Half cent book by Manley, for example) don't hold up well in the binding when you use them a bit.
So, I was wondering if anyone had taken up the urge and scanned the books and, if so, how was that? Better? I can imagine having these books scanned and accessible when I am traveling (to a show or on vacation and spotting a shop/coin, etc). In book form, they are only "good" when one is home to use them. In electronic form, they could be used anywhere.

Thoughts? Anyone do this? Anyone thought of it?
Only thing keeping me from it, for the moment, is that none of my books have started to fall apart yet. If they do, though, they WILL get scanned.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I took the binding off my half dime book and then pulled out what I consider to be the absolutely essential pages. Had those pages bound at FedEx Office with a plastic cover. So now my book for coin shows is 1/3 the size and weight. Much easier to carry and it is now disguised, so that helps too image
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    It’s always a struggle. It would be nice to have both printed and electronic versions for use in different situations. As suggested above, being able to edit the electronic version into just the pieces each user wanted would be a further advantage.

However, electronic versions are notoriously easy to steal and distribute, or alter for nefarious purposes. Of course, paper can be copied, but it’s labor intensive for most.

Paper also works when your document reader runs out of juice, gets wet, is dropped or gets a virus.

Although I prefer paper, the next book I publish will be on DVD only. At 2,500+ pages, most in color, printing is out of the question. Also, the text will be fully searchable – something paper cannot do.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger, what is the title of your next book? At that size, it would seem to be a major source of information. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It’s always a struggle. It would be nice to have both printed and electronic versions for use in different situations. As suggested above, being able to edit the electronic version into just the pieces each user wanted would be a further advantage.

However, electronic versions are notoriously easy to steal and distribute, or alter for nefarious purposes. Of course, paper can be copied, but it’s labor intensive for most.

Paper also works when your document reader runs out of juice, gets wet, is dropped or gets a virus.

Although I prefer paper, the next book I publish will be on DVD only. At 2,500+ pages, most in color, printing is out of the question. Also, the text will be fully searchable – something paper cannot do. >>

Then too, the nature of information is changing.

RWB's next book/DVD (hope I am not giving away too much here) will contain a large quantity of original source documents. With the advent of technology, you now have a way to easily distribute this vast archive, that simply wasn't practical before.

What would be a more valuable reference - a paper copy of Breen, or a digital copy which contained all the text AND relavant source documents (assuming they ever existed, but let's put that question aside for now)?

Technology now allows us to distribute a much more complete picture of a given topic - which hopefully will raise the bar of acceptable scholarship. For anyone publishing digitally, including the source material should now just be table stakes.

I still prefer paper, but authors ignore technology at their own peril.
  • Options
    Roger, what is the title of your next book? At that size, it would seem to be a major source of information.

The digital book will contain images and searchable text of all the official, original minutes of the Annual Assay Commission that I can locate. (PDF format for all.) Right now, that's approx 1840-1946 but with some from the 1795-1839 period. (The cut off is arbitrary - post WW-II reports are largely superficial.) A board member has generously offered to help make transcriptions of the handwritten texts, and his name will be on the cover of the DVD set in appreciation of his work.

Page count will be about 2,500 or more and it will take 4 DVDs to hold everything.

[The originals are in NARA, but there is no microfilm, photocopy or digital version, and no resources to make one.]
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The cut off is arbitrary - post WW-II reports are largely superficial. >>

Au contraire. You don't want to know what the menu at the commission banquet was? image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although I prefer paper, the next book I publish will be on DVD only. At 2,500+ pages, most in color, printing is out of the question. Also, the text will be fully searchable – something paper cannot do. >>

aren't you afraid of vastly lower sales from infringement?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Sarcasm noted -- image

The files will be copy protected, but allow printing. I doubt the book will be of the type that anyone would go to the time and trouble to hack the copy codes, load it onto a PC and burn a pirate edition. Additionally, every image has a security code in the file header, and a reference number embedded in the page image. Lastly, every image has unique geometric parameters that cannot be imitated.

Naturally, anyone who cares to go to NARA, find the volumes, and copy them is free to do so.

PS: A coin book that sells 5,000 copies a year is a huge success. Most, including this one, lose money. Let me know if you'd like to cover the loss.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Be careful scanning books, even for personal use. Copyright still applies. Usually the author or the publisher owns the copyright; that ownership includes exclusive rights of publication, copying, adaptation, distribution, etc.

• Options
    Dennis. Don't forget films and video games !

Can't wait for the adventure film: "Peace Dollar - Part IV. Return of the Sculptor."
  • Options
    Dentuck, making copies of portions of a numismatic books you own, for personal use (not distributed, whether for financial gain or not), is permitted by the doctrine of fair use. More info at http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dentuck, making copies of portions of a numismatic books you own, for personal use (not distributed, whether for financial gain or not), is permitted by the doctrine of fair use. More info at http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html >>

Bingo...and that is what I was talking about.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Roger. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file