Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

As a collector or dealer, do you appreciate coins which are "PQ" regardless of whether the

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
................... you regularly collect [as a collector] and/or sell [as a dealer]?

Or do you, at best, give such a coin a passing glance and ignore it?

For example, you collect early copper. Someone shows you a high grade, Jefferson nickel with full steps, great color and booming luster that is a top pop for the date. Do you appreciate this coin or just blow it off?

Comments

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's funny. I'm a copper collector. Don't really care for much else. I got a really nice nickel in change yesterday and appreciated the hell out of it right before I threw it in the penny cup image
  • Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭

You just had to go Jefferson Nickel......

I tend to appreciate all coins with a nice PQ look, but would not add them to my collection. If I knew the market well enough to try a flip perhaps a bit more.

I like your scenario better if it goes you "collect early copper" and someone shows you a PQ draped bust half, or a seated dollar etc...to go from collecting early anything to modern it would take the "appreciation" level down quite a bit.

With that being said I still love MS war nickels and want to do a toned high end set some day.

Just my opinion.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in all types of coins, but must admit that I have had at least one person decline to view my coins when they were not of the denomination that he collected. That's okay.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with TomB.... I am interested in all coins (even tokens and medals), even though I may not collect them. One of the reasons I liked going to coin shows was the large variety of material to view, beyond my own collecting interests. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I love to look at nice coins no matter what they are. Like Ricko said, it's a good reason to go to coin shows and auction lot viewings. You get to see nice coins you might never otherwise get to see.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    At large coins shows I tend to only look at what I collect. However, if someone shows me a nice coin I still look at them - the best being a 1796 dime that someone won at auction for $90K - a coin I could never afford but loved seeing. In general, the dealers I know will show me a nice coin even when they know I cannot afford it but think I'll appreciate seeing it - I always do.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love looking at nice coins no matter what series, or indeed country or era.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy looking and appreciate great coins, however I tend to gloss over modern stuff.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file