Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just for the hole of it!

SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭

Have you ever ran across a scarce date coin with a high technical grade that had a hole or some damage but thought, heck it is still cool and it is cheap?

Well I did anyway on this AU 1845-O seated half dollar. It has some issues, but I am always amazed at holed coins that display a relatively minimal amount of wear outside of their historic hole.

Comments

• Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Looking at the nicks around the rim, do you think it might have been mounted as jewelry at some time or the other?

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion it's not "cool." It's just a problem coin that you shouldn't have bought. Sorry.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    It's sad when so many collectors can only see the imperfections in an otherwise neat piece of history.

I guess that's a good thing for those of us that don't mind so much - keeps the competition/price down.

Sometimes, it's the only financially feasible way to fill a spot with a nicely detailed example of a scarce coin.

I like it!
  • Options
    YogiBerraFanYogiBerraFan Posts: 2,390 ✭✭
    A cool old coin is a cool old coin regardless of what may be wrong with it. If it is a scarce date or just happens to do it for you, even better image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collect what you like and ignore the naysayers. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Very Nice...

I have a holed collection and it's great fun on the cheep...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any seated half is cool, nice detail and tone.image
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In my opinion it's not "cool." It's just a problem coin that you shouldn't have bought. Sorry. >>

Melt it!!! It's a zit on the butt of humanity!!!
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    While spending considerable time in Scotland and attending many coin fairs in the UK, I encountered several US seated coins with holes in them. Apparently, the coins returned home with the travelers as mementos. They were holed to wear as charms on bracelets and necklaces. Some coins still had jump rings in them.
    I passed on all the coins, as none were rare dates.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In my opinion it's not "cool." It's just a problem coin that you shouldn't have bought. Sorry. >>

You are entitled to your opinion. It is a neat piece of history that was intended to be holed for a reason. Most people didn't really give 2 hoots about numismatics back then because it was just a 50c piece that they didn't want to lose.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't it depend on what he paid for it? What if he paid less than melt for it?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll bet that you've bought something I'd consider crap and advised you not to buy, too. It would be one thing to teach someone who thought they bought something and missed a problem or specifically asked about quality; it's completely different to simply disparage a coin because it's not in your collecting realm. Even then, clearly this coin was purchased knowing of (and appreciating) its problem.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

There are some really interesting comments. I generally collect problem free coins, usually in PCGS holders as well. However, I also collect seated half dollars by die marriage and I will from time to time buy a coin with problems either because it is a rare die marriage that I don't have or just because I find the coin interesting. I do find the history of holed coins to be fascinating and I wonder when the coin was holed, what it was holed for, who used it and for what purpose. They just seem like they would have a great story to tell. Now would I ever pay tons of money for a holed coin, not unless it was a super rare coin. I have recently seen a very rare seated dollat that was holed and I am sure it cost quite a bit and the hole did not bother me at all given the context of the coin. With all of that being said and for the record I paid $36 for this 1845-O half and I think that coin without the hole would run around ten times that amount. So the question is if you buy a holed coin would you buy it at 10% or 5% of the price of a problem free coin or not at any price? I think I have seen some research from an old LSCC article that says a lot of seated holed coins still sell for around 30% of their problem free price.

I think it is an interesting discussion and sometimes you buy the coin for the story and the history.
  • Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭
    I like it very much!
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I would buy a rare problem coin in the seated quarter series if I could pay 5% of it's normal price anyday!!! Especially if we are talking 1849-O, any of the rare Carson City coins....etc etc.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great buy!!!! Beautiful coin with nice toning and strike, regardless of the hole. Had the hole completely covered the 5, I wouldn't have been so keen on the coin. I like it and I think you got a great buy for your investment.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin, a few of these for the novelty, at a reasonable price, make a nice little fun side collection. A silver lining is that the incidence of cleaning of holed coins is lower, most are left with their original surfaces.. here is one of my favorites among my group of "just for the hole of it" coins

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'll bet that you've bought something I'd consider crap and advised you not to buy, too. It would be one thing to teach someone who thought they bought something and missed a problem or specifically asked about quality; it's completely different to simply disparage a coin because it's not in your collecting realm. Even then, clearly this coin was purchased knowing of (and appreciating) its problem. >>

I have been collecting for a long time and have bought many problem coins that I though were "great deals." They weren't. I have no idea what the OP paid for the coin that is the subject of this thread, but if it was much over melt it was probably too much.

My comments in many threads may seem harsh, but they are based on my own experience in collecting since 1961.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>I like the coin, a few of these for the novelty, at a reasonable price, make a nice little fun side collection. A silver lining is that the incidence of cleaning of holed coins is lower, most are left with their original surfaces.. here is one of my favorites among my group of "just for the hole of it" coins

image >>

I love it!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks quite lovely and reminds me of an 1807 8R I purchased for $18.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Here's another holed coin for the discussion:

This one obviously has issues beyond the hole, but it still made sense to me given my budget. The greatly reduced price (about $1,000 less than if it were an original coin at that grade) allowed me the chance to acquire an example of a rather rare Red Book die variety (R.5). Plus, I think it has a pretty interesting tale to tell.
    zap
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been collecting for a long time and have bought many problem coins that I though were "great deals." They weren't. I have no idea what the OP paid for the coin that is the subject of this thread, but if it was much over melt it was probably too much.

My comments in many threads may seem harsh, but they are based on my own experience in collecting since 1961. >>

So you're assuming that the only reason to buy is financial return. Some people pay a bit more than something is "worth" because they get that money back in enjoyment. A good deal is not defined just in terms of profit, unless you're a dealer.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's hard to go wrong for $36. I think it would sell pretty fast on the BST for the OP's purchase price. By contrast, I don't think most PCGS-graded coins would sell fast on the BST for the prices most of us pay.
  • Options

image >>

It looks like a really nice half! Despite the "problem" hole, I think it'd be a good buy, especially if it was discounted.
    Currently collecting Morgan Dollars and Seated Liberty Halves
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great looking coin.
    Holed coins can be ubber cool.
    This is one I enjoy.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect holed coins and prefer them in high grade. I don't have the patience to wait for a high grade everytime so my collection consists of grades from Poor to Proof. Upgrading is fun, too. From some of the posts here, maybe I can buy some holed coiins I need for 5-10% of trends. I like good buys so please offer them to me. Any metal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file