Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help identifying this copper "coin?" pattern? Identified - thanks

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
This was in a batch of things I picked up last week....I have NO idea what it is....anyone know?
It looks close to what the redbook shows as a 2c pattern, but ... it isn't.....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    Hey Ron, here's what I found.

Fuld 111-340 1863

Obverse: 1863 [in exergue]
    Reverse: [no legend]

Copper Weight: 46.2 g (2.99 grams) Diameter: 18.9 mm Reverse die alignment: 90°

Comments: The obverse displays an undraped bust right portrait of Washington with six stars to the left and seven stars to the right. According to Rulau's first edition of the Standard Catalog (see p. 377), this obverse was also combined with patriotic die 271 (also known as storecard die 1246) which contains the legend UNION / FOR / EVER within a wreath.

The reverse displays an American shield with crossed flags behind. In the center is a liberty pole with a liberty cap on top surrounded by thirteen stars. Note the top star, the seventh from the left side of the pole, is misshapen with six points while the others have five points. Also die cracks can be detected as small lines at stars two, three, eight, nine and thirteen, with some doubling at the first star. The entire display is surrounded by an oak leaf wreath. The center of the reverse die has somewhat buckled, evident on this example by a weak central strike (especially evident in the shield at the stars on the left side of the horizontal field.

Provenance: Part of an anonymous donation consisting of 1100 tokens and medals covering the Nineteenth century, primarily up through the Civil War era.

References:Reference: Rulau, Standard Catalog of United States Tokens, 1st ed., p. 377; 2nd edition, pp. 412 and 423 for the obverse and pp. 417 and 425 for the reverse.

imageimage
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi,

so that is not a civil war token thingie? Oh, I see it is. My post did not stick.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    Thanks John.
    So, it goes with the other 2 CWTs that I brought back then.
    None seem to be worth much, so I will just put them away.

I do appreciate the info you provided. That helps clear things up and I will print it out to put with the CWT.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still an interesting piece Ron.... Like you, I would save it. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    TevaTeva Posts: 830
    It may be that it does not have great monetary value but I would value it greatly if it was in my collection. I put a historic value on such pieces. I think it is a very nice find.
    Give the laziest man the toughest job and he will find the easiest way to get it done.
  • Options
    Teva, you are right, it does have historic value.
    I don't plan to sell, but it is always nice to know what things are worth (I put things into a spreadsheet so, in case something happens to me, my wife/son can have an idea on things so they don't get ripped off (hopefully).
    CWTs aren't my thing and not something I would likely get into, so I don't know anything about them. Granted, some are cool (I think this one is), and I appreciate learning more about them.
    That it came to me/us through my uncle is cool as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file