Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collecting So Called Dollars and Halves 101 Part 1************** & Part 2

BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
Collecting dollar size tokens offer beauty, variety and the opportunity for
coin collectors to diversify your collecting instincts. While SCDs are generally
inexpensive, there are many rare examples as well as condition rarities that
can run from moderate to expensive. As a serious collector of these tokens,I
would like to share some of the basics and secrets of this interesting hobby.

Reference Books.

So Called Dollars by Hibler & Kappen as revised and edited by Hoffman, Hayes
Brecher and Dean 2nd Edition

This book is the bible for an understanding of the classifications of the tokens
and background information about some 1100 of the foremost SCDs. These run
from 1821 to about 1945. The problem is that there are tens of thousands of such
SCDs which are not listed or awarded HK numbers.these 1100 SCD have remained suprise
unchanged since 1963. There certainly seems to be a need for another 1000 - 2000
additional tokens that are popular and many of which are rare.

Small Forest's So-Called Dollars Newest edition 2010

This reference book has tabulated how often the 1100 SCDs have appeared for sale or auction
and the average relative selling point in various broad catagories of grade. This is an interesting
reference as it defines how truly rare or available each HK SCD is based upon actual sales. One
finds some rare tokens that are unusually available as well as some more common tokens that
are unusually rare.

My personal collecting criteria:

1. Artistic beauty of design
2. Rarity, I prefer at least R-4
3. Appearance of token or medal
4. Attempt to buy what I consider under valued and appreciated tokens
5. I do have a preference to silver SCDs in my own collection.

Values:

For the vast majority of SCDs, one must rely on careful observation of the number of times a non HK
SCD appears and what the prices are for what condition. Also a reference as to slabbed or raw.Sometimes
If I have not noticed a SCD having been offered in the past few years and a high grade example becomes
available, I watch the bidding action. The more bidders with high transaction numbers show interest, the
more comfortable I become making a strong bid. Of course, I try to look out for illegal kitting of the bids.
Generally, I tend to frequent 14 - 16 of my favorite sellers that describe their SCDs conservatively and honestly.
One of my dealers called a rare SCD as a MS-63 or possible MS-64. NGC graded that
SCD as a MS-65PL.

Thus, non HK SCDs have prices that may vary for a specific grade by many multiples.You must spend some time
reading, reviewing and studying the market place. In this case ,Knowledge is everything.

Some examples of non HK SCDs that are being slabbed by NGC that are rather rare.

1967 Silver Alaska Centennial Medal MS-66DPL $200

1992 Silver Cripple Creek Centennial Medal PF-68 Ultra Cameo $125

1961 Silver Kansas Centennial Medal MS-68 $150

1974 Silver Spokane Worlds Fair PR-65 Ultra Cameo $125

1971 Silver Chicago Fire Centennial MS-67 $125

1973 Sterling Monroe CT. Sesqui MS-66

1968 Silver Ill Sesqui State Industries PR-66 $125

1968 Silver Ill Sesqui Transportation Progress MS-67 Cameo $165

As you can see, condition, rarity and beauty all play a role in pricing.

In part 2, we shall talk about collecting So Called Half Dollars.

So Called Half Dollars are a most interesting and challenging area to collect. There
are no reference books currently available and guessing the value and rarity is really
quite difficult. As with SO Called Dollars, one must research the frequency of appearance,
grade and price sold for. While there are a growing number of collectors for these half dollar
size medals, it seems a late comer to the collecting fraternity in general. If you think about it,
this could be a great opportunity to get in before the price rise enjoyed by its big brother SCDs.

There are not as many silver halves as found in the dollar size medals. Most of the half dollars
are gold gilt over copper.

Condition as always in critical to collecting these beauties. When you buy a gold gilt SC Half, it is
important that the gilt be intact with no pealing or missing sections. Serious collectors place great
value on this intact condition as well as overall excellence of appearance. While some medals are
rather common in one metal they can be quite rare in another medal. There is no reference to tell
you this and must be learned by observation. As an example of this I can point to the 1959 Stirling
350th Anniversary Champlain Hudson Medal...MS-65 sells fo close to $100 while the copper and nickel
are found more frequently and at a much lower price.

We have many examples of condition rare medals that are common in lower grades. two examples off the
top of my head are the 1939 Communications Bldg N.Y Worlds Fair...MS-65 $60 dollars, 1939 Metropolitan Life
N.Y. Worlds Fair....MS-65 $50

A particularly rare and beautiful medal is the1937 C.D Peac**ck Centenniel. This medal is extremely three dimensional,
it also contains a piece of the jewelery company vault that survived the 1891 fire and was placed in the medal itself.
The coin is very rare in gem condition as I have not seen another for sale in several years. MS-65 $225

Another very deep three D medal is the 1934 Grand Haven Centennial by Whitehead and Hoag. While this is nor nearly as
rare as the above it sell for MS-64 $60.

Underrated are the SC Halves with the bust of Washington on the obverse in Gem Condition.
Two items that come to mind are the 1932 Van Dyk Teas and Coffees.....MS-66 $125
as well as the 1932 Wakefield Restoration Bicentennial of birth MS-65....$90
Many people like to collect Washingtonian items and these are always popular medals.

Unless otherwise mentioned, all of the above medals are gold gilt on copper.

Another interesting twist is where the same even has two similar but different designs
with a markedly different rarity. A case in point is the following two medals:

1931 Surrender of Cornwallis Susquicentennial withWash. and the Yorktown monument
on the obverse an eagle on the back. This medal comes
in gold gilt and in nickel which are modestly rare...... MS-64 $40

Then there is the very rare 1931Yorktown Susquicentennial the surrender of Cornwallis
with a view of the actual surrender on the obverse and no eagle on the reverse but with Wash Bust.
MS-65.......$350. I have not seen another Gem in three years of looking.

Of course as mentioned in the comments of others, you can specialize from among the many thousands
of medals available many of which are still modestly priced in very nice condition. It is just my own choice
to go after some of the more difficult examples.

GOOD HUNTING!
There once was a place called
Camelotimage

Comments

• Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi Bear,

Thanks. I have always wanted the 1939 NYWF so-called silver dollar. It is a nice item - a little oval in shape.

Best,
    Eric
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, but do you believe the rarity numbers in the So Called Dollars text?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware of published rarity numbers.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting information Bear. I do not collect these SCD's, however, since my interests do tend to change, I will save this for future reference. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 So Called Dollars worth: the series can be collected as a subset of particular focus, i.e. The Centennial International Exhibition, Worlds Columbian Exposition. I have chosen that route, and have been assembling a set of all So Called Dollars relative to events, landmarks and people with a connection to the history of New York state. A very challenging set as such. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    The published rarity numbers are not nearly as important ,as the
    number of times a medal has come up for sale or auction. We find
    many supposed rare medals come up for sale with regularity and many
    supposed common medals are almost never seen for sale. Another factor
    is that many of these medals were really banged around and thus condition
    rarity becomes a big factor in value.When I use an R-4 rarity factor minimum
    for collecting, it must be confirmed by my observations as to how rarely the
    medal in question has come up for sale in the condition I prefer to collect it in.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    " it must be confirmed by my observations as to how rarely the
    medal in question has come up for sale in the condition I prefer to collect it in"

Sometimes though BooBoo, you won't have a choice on condition. Try finding an unimpaired HK-450image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    My avatar was mis-listed in the commem section on ebaY and that's how I got interested in them (not rabid, just interested in certain size, metal content, wear, etc). Thanks Bear and look forward to your next installment.
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    Bear, if you could choose to have just one SCD, which one would it be and why?? Also, what do you consider the 4 or 5 most valuable SCDs??
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably a losing proposition to try to come up with as few as 4-5 "most valuable" So-Called Dollars.

There are 13 listed as R-10 -- unique -- and some of those have apparently never appeared for sale.

InYHWHWeTrust, how would you feel about your icon, in gold? There were 11 struck. How much do you think one would sell for if it ever appeared at auction?

I have records for five recent appearances of HK-1031 (Manila Mint opening, in gold), at prices from $50,000 to $80,000.

There are at least two known specimens of HK-1001 (Erie Canal, in gold), one of them in a museum. The other, in XF, sold at Heritage for $63,000.

I've never heard of an HK-1032 (Sesquicentennial Expo Connecticut Building, in gold) is missing in action, and HK-455 (same, in silver) is nearly as rare.

HK-1033 (Charbneau Dollar, in platinum) may not exist. Plenty people have looked for one, and found no hint.

Amazingly, I have seen auction appearances for HK-492 (New York World's Fair Palladium Dollar), but not recently. Do you suppose they've been melted?

There are LOTS of candidates for rarest SCD...
  • Options
    I do not really try to get the rarest SCD only the most beautiful and reasonably rare medals.

I really do not wish to buy medals outside of $50 - $350 range. I do collect both HK numbered

and un numbered medals.The favorite medals in my collection areimageBut not in any particular order)

1.1967 Silver Alaska Centennial.................. MS-66 DPL

2.1986 Springfield 159th Anniv HK-609 ........MS-65PL

3.1915 Panama Pacific Expo HK 401.............MS-64 but truly PQ

4.1915 silver Panama Calif Expo HK 426 .....MS-65

5. 1932 silver William Penn 250th HK461......MS-63 But truly looks closer to a 65

6.1959 Silver Alaska Statehood Token .........MS-65

7. 1979 Silver CT Capital 100th..................MS-64

At present, I have 60 SCDs and another 60 SC Halves.I have tried to be very selective
    rather then just accumulate huge volumes.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780
    Hi there,

The oblong 1939 NYWF so called dollar is Palladium?

Thanks,
    Eric
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info Bear!
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The oblong 1939 NYWF so called dollar is Palladium? >>

No, the oblong one is HK-491. The palladium one is HK-492, a different piece.
  • Options
    I only have one SCD, HK353 in silver, graded MS 64 by NGC. (1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Expo). Have no idea as to rarity and value but it is very pretty. Bill.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • Options
    HK 353 is silver and comes up only infrequently . It is fairly rare and is listed
    as R-5. A MS-64 is worth several hundred dollars.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Thanks much for the info, Bear.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post Bear!image

Here is a SCHD to share:
    imageimage
  • Options
    An interesting point to ponder, is the case of PL medals. The reference SCD books
    do not give statistics on these specimens as to rarity or value. The collector alone
    must calculate how rare and how much to spend or bid on these.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    BBQnBLUESBBQnBLUES Posts: 1,803
    Perhaps this would be a good time to post This Link

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file