Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

stir crazy - Mint Manufactures its Own Scratches Now...

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started noticing this familiar "bag mark" ....

then I set some aside...

It's true.... the mint is increasing its efficiency by making coins with ready made scratches.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, I do look at too many dollar coins...
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins can get scratched when being ejected from the coining chamber.

Most of the finest '88-D dimes have a nasty scratch right in front of Roosevelt.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably a strike thru that stayed through several consecutive coins.
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>Probably a strike thru that stayed through several consecutive coins.
    TD >>

I was always led to believe a "strike-through" was on the planchet and not the die.

I can't explain the same scratch on those except maybe during ejection from the press they are all hitting the same obstruction on the way out. If the are raised vs. scratched, then maybe a scratch on the die?
  • Options
    melvin289melvin289 Posts: 3,019
    Very interesting obsevation.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Were these coins from a roll?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Probably a strike thru that stayed through several consecutive coins.
    TD >>

I was always led to believe a "strike-through" was on the planchet and not the die.

I can't explain the same scratch on those except maybe during ejection from the press they are all hitting the same obstruction on the way out. If the are raised vs. scratched, then maybe a scratch on the die? >>

Nope. A foreign object can stick to the die for many strikes. I have seen rolls of fractional gold eagles where every stinkin' coin had the exact same strike-thru.
    Dag-nabbit!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And at NO added cost.... image Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...the final inspector was/is asleep. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Ejection marks are frequently in same location and size.

I revieved 500+ Marine proof dollars and had 2 boxes of 200/box where around 1/3 of the coins had an identical scratch/scrape.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...the final inspector was/is asleep. image >>

The mint is not in the buisness of making MS-70 coins. image
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file