Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Price of quality in coin collecting.

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Coin collecting is often about buying the best pieces you can afford. In my decision making, I often use auction trends for comparing various years/mintmarks to determine values. Thanks to the internet I can look at photos and compare coins easily. Recently, I became interested in acquiring a particular coin, that is not especially rare. Typically it brings $160-180 at auction, even for nice appearing coins. I found an example of a very nice coin, but the current owner wants $265 for it(after negotiations). They claim that the price is justified by the strike and eye appeal. Although I am certain that it is a nice coin, I am not convinced and therefore inclined to pass. However, I wanted some additional collector input before totally walking away. So, what is the price of a quality coin in the same grade? Is is worth paying over 1.5 times the typical value for it? For a rare coin or key date, I guess one could argue yes. For this coin, I dont know. Looking forward to the answers.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin collecting is often about buying the best pieces you can afford. In my decision making, I often use auction trends for comparing various years/mintmarks to determine values. Thanks to the internet I can look at photos and compare coins easily. Recently, I became interested in acquiring a particular coin, that is not especially rare. Typically it brings $160-180 at auction, even for nice appearing coins. I found an example of a very nice coin, but the current owner wants $265 for it(after negotiations). They claim that the price is justified by the strike and eye appeal. Although I am certain that it is a nice coin, I am not convinced and therefore inclined to pass. However, I wanted some additional collector input before totally walking away. So, what is the price of a quality coin in the same grade? Is is worth paying over 1.5 times the typical value for it? For a rare coin or key date, I guess one could argue yes. For this coin, I dont know. Looking forward to the answers. >>

What is the coin?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is a genuine rare or scarce coin overall paying a premium for a very PQ example is wise. If the coin is a high population date or MM I would not pay extra since no doubt other PQ examples can be had in the future at list price.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coin collecting is often about buying the best pieces you can afford. In my decision making, I often use auction trends for comparing various years/mintmarks to determine values. Thanks to the internet I can look at photos and compare coins easily. Recently, I became interested in acquiring a particular coin, that is not especially rare. Typically it brings $160-180 at auction, even for nice appearing coins. I found an example of a very nice coin, but the current owner wants $265 for it(after negotiations). They claim that the price is justified by the strike and eye appeal. Although I am certain that it is a nice coin, I am not convinced and therefore inclined to pass. However, I wanted some additional collector input before totally walking away. So, what is the price of a quality coin in the same grade? Is is worth paying over 1.5 times the typical value for it? For a rare coin or key date, I guess one could argue yes. For this coin, I dont know. Looking forward to the answers. >>

Is the $160-180 reference hammer price or all-in including buyer's fees?

Regardless, depends on the coin. You mention "typically", which gives the impression that it comes on the market regularly. Is the coin toned? For $85 extra, if you really love the coin, then it's probably worth it, particularly if you've researched a lot and are satisfied there are not a lot more at the same quality.

What's the coin?
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    What is the typical price of one grade higher? How often does that particular date, mintmark, grade come up for sale? How many coins have you looked at and passed on in that grade? Over what period of time? How much expertise do you have in grading that series? All of these are factors.

There is no "one size fits all" answer, and no right or wrong answer.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the realm that you describe, I would have to say that patience is a virtue and you should pass. There will be a number of good auctions later this year, not to mention eBay. That would be my advice for a coin in that realm. I have gone through the same thoughts many times over.

Greg
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass. Never overpay for common coins. Another one will come along and it will probably be reasonably priced.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you did your homework, so pass, and find another.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin is an 1899 Liberty nickel in MS64. In MS65, the price jumps up quite alot(400-600 I think). The coin has no remarkable toning except a golden hue which is common for these coins. I think I could justify up to 20% higher, which would put it in the 220 range at max, even though the dollar amount is not all that high. I doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon, so I will keep looking for the time being. If after looking at several from the date, I may change my mind. Thanks!

Great debate!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a 'no questions asked' return policy? Seeing the coin 'in hand' would be the best determination. Other than that, what you are doing is fine. No sense in spending high dollars because the seller likes the coin. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If this is a genuine rare or scarce coin overall paying a premium for a very PQ example is wise. >>

Is it possible to overpay for quality?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

It is/should be an individual decision, based on how much you like and want the coin compared to others of the same date and grade. The premium might be worth it to some collectors, but not most others.

It doesn't matter what the seller thinks about the strike and eye appeal, or even, whether others agree with him - what counts is what YOU think.

By the way, I disagree with your view that paying a large premium for a "rare or key date" might be more justified than paying one for a a more common coin. It's the individual coin that counts and the buyer for it.
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    If the coin isn't rare, the grade isn't rare, and the quality isn't very rare (you could find the same level of quality within a year) then I would pass. If it would take you many years to come across a comparable coin, then the premium is worth it. JMHO.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>The coin is an 1899 Liberty nickel in MS64. In MS65, the price jumps up quite alot(400-600 I think). The coin has no remarkable toning except a golden hue which is common for these coins. I think I could justify up to 20% higher, which would put it in the 220 range at max, even though the dollar amount is not all that high. I doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon, so I will keep looking for the time being. If after looking at several from the date, I may change my mind. Thanks!

Great debate! >>

As described, that does not sound like the type of coin to pay any premium for, much less, a large one. But it is still your preference, opinion and decision that counts.
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The coin is an 1899 Liberty nickel in MS64. In MS65, the price jumps up quite alot(400-600 I think). The coin has no remarkable toning except a golden hue which is common for these coins. I think I could justify up to 20% higher, which would put it in the 220 range at max, even though the dollar amount is not all that high. I doubt it is going anywhere anytime soon, so I will keep looking for the time being. If after looking at several from the date, I may change my mind. Thanks!"

Sounds like you answered your own question: if the coin is not a rare or hard to get date, has no greater than normal strike, no fantastically attractive natural color and you do not feel it will increase in value any time soon, then your answer should most likely be Pass.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to common to pay such a premium in my opinion..
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    1899 Nickels aren't as common as, let's say 1881-S Morgans, but they aren't rare. Premium quality struck Liberty Nickels in MS64 can be purchased for around $200 and since the described coin doesn't bear any unique characteristics that would make it worthy of a strong premium, it probably isn't worth the seller's asking price.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file